Well we thought we had them in their pens nice and secure, but we woke up this morning and I looked out my bedroom window and saw no llamas in the pens. But I glanced to my left and was amazed to find a majestic looking Cataleya statue in our pasture! haha!
We have the 2 rail pole fencing on the barn pens and I had told John that we should install some wire fencing along the poles, but he thought the llamas wouldn't be able to jump, slide or climb out. Hah! They sure did!
I called John this morning at work and he is on his way home with some 5' high wire fencing right now.
Without even eating breakfast, I rushed outside to check on Cat and Leya and make sure they were ok. I was also a little concerned that it might be really difficult getting them under control while they were loose because they didn't even know us yet, so had no reason to trust us.
But, I called out 'llama, llama, llama!" and shook some food in a bucket and Cataleya came running!!! Man that girl can run! hehe
She came right into the stable with Catlinite right behind, both looking for some food. I fed them both by hand and talked to them, stroked their necks, too. They are just wonderful llamas!!
It's easy to see that they came from a wonderful upbringing with excellent care and training.
It was fairly easy to hook the lead onto Catlinite. I decided not to hook the lead to Cataleya because she is so easy to approach and I also knew she would stay right near Catlinite. And then I took him (and her) for a nice long walk several times around the 2.5 acres of pasture, stopping to talk, stroke their necks (It's amazing how quickly them calm down when doing this. We had a big bang of thunder in the distance while walking, and they both jumped and started worry humming, but with stroking and talking quietly it calmed them down quickly).
Catlinite seems to enjoy stirring up the horses next door and will run barreling acoss the pasture until he's within 15' of our neighbor's fence. He'll give a few of these intense stares and then the one white horse will stomp her feet and race towards him, as if to say 'back off buddy!", which he quickly does...silly boy!
After our walk, my 3 kids and I gave them each a little more hand-fed grain and then released them. We were pleasantly surprised when they decided to hang out with us instead.
We are just so pleased with these llamas. John and I both keep saying that we are so relieved that we decided to wait on buying some horses. I had always wanted one since I was a little girl, but have since discovered they can be alot of work and alot of expense....along with the fact that those big animals are a bit overwhelming in strength and size. We just love our new llamas! Our pasture looks like a little piece of South America.
Llamas loose in the pasture. Catlinite has a hankering for the horses next door. He is preparing for a run straight to their barn. Silly boy!
Leya sees Jackson coming into the pasture and is running to greet him.
Both llamas on the northeast side our pasture.
Cataleya sneaking in some hay under Jackson.
Jenna and Catlinite
Jenna offering some hay to Cat.
He takes it!
(Click on the photo for larger view. Yes, that is a llama sweater! Notice the little hand-stitched applique llama on the left side. Too cute! I bought this unique sweater at my local Mothers of Twins Club Clothing and Equipment sale. I thought it was a stroke of fate that I'd find a llama sweater at a sale just 3 days before our own llamas came to live with us! Had to have it! Jenna won't go out to the llama area unless she has on her 'llama sweater'. hehe)
Cataleya followed me into the barn and tack room. She is just so sweet and curious about everything.
Jenna talking to the llamas on the southwest side our pasture.
The llamas seem to like hanging out on the southwest area of the pasture which receives the most sun, has the most trees and lots of grass. It's also near our neighbor's horses. hehe
Cataleya with Catlinite peeking from behind.
Both llamas in front of our neighbor's horse barn. They seem very curious about one of our neighbor's behind us, who have a bird farm. They have all sorts of birds, including guineas, ducks, peacocks, chickens. And they also have a braying donkey. Lots of interesting sounds for the llamas!
No comments :
Post a Comment