Friday, February 8, 2008

An Angora Goat lives here

I woke before the sun had risen to drive down to Los Lunas, NM, about an hour drive from our house, to pick up a little Angora goat and bring her back home with me. I wasn't positive that I would purchase her because of the information I learned from the owner and photo I saw.
I was worried about this goats' health and soundness. But her little sad self in the photo beckoned to me.

It was a beautiful day, not as windy and much warmer. When I arrived at the goat's owner's 3/4 acre property, I was first surprised at all of the horses surrounding his little mobile home. There were at least 7, and a few more behind decrepit, rotting wood and metal sheds and walls made of tin and strapped together, but mostly sagging dangerously at all angles.

The horses were very spirited, young, dirty and contained in small (possibly 6'x15'), muddy pens. The owner said that he had used the angora goat to 'train' his horses, by having the horses walk along with the goat (who was tied to the horse, by it's horns).

He had originally bought the Angora goat a year ago, to control his weeds, but was feeling sorry for it that it was all alone.

I felt sorry for the angora goat, too. She was in a muddy, filthy pen, approx 4'x8' in size and tacked on to the side of a shed with no covered shelter.
This little goat was so pitiful and sad looking. Her wool was matted, dirty and still covered in the green paint used to mark livestock at auction (remember he bought her a year ago at auction). He stated that he had never sheared her. He also had never trimmed her hooves either. They are terribly overgrown.

She softly bleated to me and stood next to the fence while I spoke to the man. And I knew I could not leave her there in that state.
I asked the man if he had a halter for her and he stated that he didn't and instead just tied her horns with rope when he needed to move her.

I had brought a new red collar with me and offered it to him to tie to her horns. He said that collars could choke a goat, so I made a note to myself to purchase a halter on the way home.

He pulled her to the back of my van and tried to yank her up into it. I gave her a boost from behind. She is not much heavier than a collie dog. And she is very soft and silky, even with the matted and dirty wool.

I had laid a tarp on the floor, but she never made a mess, even with the hour drive and my stop at the feed store and Subway on the way home. She also didn't destroy or chew anything, which would have shocked the previous owner, who had told me that she would probably chew my van's upholstery.

When I came back to the van to check halter sizes while at the feed store, she was so gentle and patient while I slipped the halter over her head and face.

The fun began at home, though when the llamas raced up to the barn to greet my van and realized there was a furry addition inside. They were very concerned, spooked, but curious. They don't seem to like it when she bleats, though.

I quickly realized that our fencing in the barn was not goat-ready, when our new angora escaped into our 2 1/2 acre pasture to run with our llamas. I panicked that we'd never be able to catch her, but she came right to me when I called her (Here 'goatie girl!" and she was so happy to run back into the barn.
This, too would have surprised the previous owner because he had warned me to keep her in a tiny pen for the first week or two until the goat was used to me.


But wherever I went, the sweet little goat followed me. And if she lost sight of me, she bleated loudly until she 'found me' again.

As I beefed up the barn pens with additional fencing, she stayed right with me and the llamas, even nibbling on my sweater or my shoes.
Catlinite is avoiding this little goat at all costs. If she approaches, he retreats. Cataleya is more patient, less spooked and more curious.

This little girl goat just seems to want a friend and is so gentle and friendly. She is a little skittish when we try to reach out and pet her, but if we move slowly, she wll permit us to touch her. And she doesn't fight me when I hold her or adjust her halter(which is actually too big).

At her previous owner's, she was only fed weeds, alfalfa, and corn cobs. We brought a little alfalfa home with us, which is good because she doesn't seem to know what to do with our orchard grass hay and is very interested in tasting the straw in the barn instead.

When she does end up standing free in the entire pasture, she remains near the barn, the llamas and me. I hope tonight goes well. I left her and the llamas together, so I hope they all get along and calm down and get a good night's sleep.

Tomorrow, I'm supposed to ride the Tobiano paint in the morning (if the wind can stay calm), but I also intend to stop off and get some wormer paste and probiotics so I can help get this precious little goat looking and feeling better.

I read somewhere that applie cider vinegar is a healthier, gentler more natural parasite preventative/remover. Does anyone know if this is effective and safe for goats? And if so, will goats drink it in their water? How about llamas?


An angora goat in my van.
She is such a sad, sweet little thing.
Curious Cataleya.
Cataleya saying hello and trying to figure out just what this new furry creature is.
In one of the pens before I beefed up the fencing. She quickly found a way out and into the pasture with the llamas and me.
She seems confused but also quite happy to have more room to move about in.

She is very curious about straw.

7 comments :

Danni said...

You, my friend, have just performed a goat rescue (your first?) and for this you have earned sainthood. This little girl desperately needed to leave that horrible place. I am so glad you found her. Clearly she is, too. I love the pictures.

sugarcreekstuff said...

The collar around her horns looks like a pretty ribbon on her head. It speaks volumes on what kind of person you are to take that sweet creature and give her the home she deserves.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

farmgirl,

Yes, my first goat and first goat rescue! haha!
I have no idea what came over me. First of all the serious desire to bring her home even having to get up before the sun(I am NOT a morning person). Her previous owner said that someone else was supposed to come look at her at 4pm, but I had a bad feeling about that and knew I had to get there earlier.

My first feelng when I saw her was to say 'no thanks, and drive back home withour her" I know! I feel bad about that, but it's true.
She was such a mess and her cage smelled so bad, and the place was just depressing.

But I think you're right that I was sent there to rescue her and she seems to know that.
Thank you for your kind supportive comments.
I'm pleased that your enjoyed reading about her and my experience.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

sugarcreekstuf,
You are just so darn sweet to say that. It means alot to me. I actually feel like the lucky one. She is a wonderful first goat for me. If all goats are like her, I can see why some goat owners enjoy them so much.

Luna does look prtty in red, doesn't she? Once I shear her and her new wool grows in, I'll have to place a real bow in her topnotch. She'll look so prissy! hehe

Thanks again for eading my Blog and being so sweet.

mindy said...

I'm so glad you got her! I have 11 pet Angoras, and will be starting a blog about them soon. They really are the sweetest beings. The breeders my goats came from have alpacas in with their goats, so that will work out fine for you. I don't know if blogger will give you my email, but its puffthemagicrabbit@gmail.com if you have any questions, I'll be glad to help. Enjoy her!

deconstructingVenus said...

So you do know about fiascofarm.com, right? I find it hard to believe that any person owning a goat wouldn't, but then again I didn't for a long time. Now it is my first and often only stop for goat related questions. Apple cider vinegar is supposed to be great for them. I also do the herbal womrer from fiasco farm, and i've just started using diatomaceous earth. I put it on their grain and they suck it down. Its supposed to cut up the parasites on a microscopic level and kill them, so we'll see!

The Jade Goat Farm said...

I am glad she is in good hands now.
As for Apple cider vin. It is really good for goats, But I haven't heard of it as a de-wormer?? My goats Love it when I put it in their water. I put about 1/6 cup in with a full bucket of water and they drink it right up.
My farm had 10 Nigora kids this year and they are very pretty :)