Sunday, February 17, 2008

Fake Eggs

In preparation for our chickens laying eggs, last week I added some straw and fake wooden eggs into each of our 4 nest boxes. We bought the wooden eggs at Target in the toy section for about $3.00 for a set of 6. We used one of the eggs for a whimsical doorknob on the gate into the chicken coop, and another went to my daughter for her play kitchen.
The idea is that the fake eggs will help the chickens realize the proper place to lay their real eggs.

6 comments :

Danni said...

I've been collecting wood eggs for over nine months now...of course, when I started, it was just so I could have them around my city house and think about hens, but now my collection will actually serve a purpose! I've got them everywhere, right now...in a basket with a rooster on a shelf, in a little handled basket on my kitchen windowsill, in a wooden crate in the living room....some would call it an obsession, but they're just my good luck charms. :-) I love your idea about using one as a door knob - cute!!

Danni said...

I've been collecting wood eggs for over nine months now...of course, when I started, it was just so I could have them around my city house and think about hens, but now my collection will actually serve a purpose! I've got them everywhere, right now...in a basket with a rooster on a shelf, in a little handled basket on my kitchen windowsill, in a wooden crate in the living room....some would call it an obsession, but they're just my good luck charms. :-) I love your idea about using one as a door knob - cute!!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

farmgirl,

I know what you mean. There is just something perfectly beautiful in the delicate, organic shape of an egg.

What to hear something funny?

Today while letting the chickens out, I noticed two large white eggs on the floor of the coop. I was so excited!
Until I realized that they were just the wooden ones that had been in the nest boxes! haha

The hens must have been scratching and laying in the nestboxes and scooted the wooden eggs out.
Talk about a huge drop in excitement, though! haha

deconstructingVenus said...

Ok, i feel like a dope. I paid $12 for 6 wooden eggs on etsy.com, a crafter's website. Target had them all along? Well. You learn something new every day. Although it is nice to support crafters/artists and they did arrive in a cute little half dozen egg crate. :)

deconstructingVenus said...

btw, wanna hear something funny? I'm looking at this picture and your Ameracauna hen was really bothering me and I could not figure out why. I finally did, and it's because she looks just like mine but does not have the same markings as any of mine so she just looked "wrong". I guess i did not recognize her and that was really throwing my brain for a loop. he he.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

hi dv,
hey! your fake eggs have more meaning behind them knowing that someone made them. Funny about the ameracauna, too. I find ameracaunas so odd in that they all look different. I suppose that comes from their jungle fowl ancestory.