I've also been taking lessons every week on our new horse, too. On Sunday, I even rode her bareback and bitless, my first time ever riding a horse that way, but it felt so right and helped give me true balance and a deeper feel for the way a horse moves and how I need to sit and move to communicate. Needless to say, Sunday was an exhilarating day for me!
On Monday, my entire family joined me (mostly because they couldn't believe I rode bareback and they wanted to see for themselves! haha), and after we signed all the paperwork, paid our money, and received her official American Paint Horse Association Registry Certificate....Dakota's Baby Doll was all ours!
Baby Doll's nickname is Dolly, but when I think of that name I am reminded of my husband's deceased grandmother's annoying Schnauzer, also with the same name. So, we are considering changing her nickname, but not too much, since she's had the same nickname for a long time and is used to it. John likes the name Dakota which is part of her registered name. But Jackson came up with the nickname 'Denali' which I think sounds alot more like 'Dolly' and would be easier for our horse to recognize.
I'd be happy to hear other's advice or name ideas, though.
We're keeping Baby Doll at the lesson barn for the next two weeks, so I can finish my first session of lessons and we can also complete the barn addition and fencing for the horse corral/pasture. After that we'll bring Baby Doll home and Lorie will either come to our our house for my lessons, or I can still do them at her lesson barn, which is about 10 mins away from our house.
So, I think I dissapointed my family a little bit on Monday, because instead of riding bareback, I did some groundwork with Baby Doll, which, for me was still very enjoyable, but not as much for my family of 'spectators' (mainly because the wind was brutally cold that day).
But my hubby did take some pictures of me and the kids grooming and walking our new horse and some of me and Baby Doll in the round pen working together.(Click on each photo for a larger view)
That's Lorie, the owner and lesson instructor, with her back facing the camera. That's me wearing what my hubby affectionately calls my "Crazy Chicken Lady Hat". I made that hat 2 years ago and it was my first knitted hat....and I still wear it ALL the time, to my hubby's angst! haha. My son Jax is holding the lead and my daughter, Jenna is helping to groom Baby Doll.

Our new horse is such a sweetie and really enjoys being groomed and loved on.

Just walking around before heading to the round pen.

This was the first time I had brought all of my kids. Baby Doll surprised me with her patience and calmness even when my kids made too quickly of movements or ran around the round pen. Baby Doll was curious, but always focused on task.

Sending Baby Doll around the pen.

You can see her beautiful half-moon blue eye in this picture.

A cluck...a trot.

A kiss....a canter.

Easy Dolly, whoa..... After each 'session' around the pen and I had instructed her to whoa, she moved into the center, to me, for pets and kind words. Isn't she gorgeous? I still can't believe I finally own my very own horse!!!
Pinch me!
9 comments :
She is a beauty. I always dreamed of a pinto pony, lucky lucky you.
OMG!!! Your animal family is growing so fast! Your first horse...this is incredible. How long have you been taking lessons and learning about horse care? Do you have previous horse experience? I'm nervous - I would love my own horse, but everyone I talk to (so far, mostly older, country guys)who've had them always roll their eyes at me and tell me what money pits they are...(not the enthusiastic response I'm looking for when my husband is taking in every word!!!)
"Denali" is gorgeous! Congratulations :-)
p.s. did you get my other post about high-altitude baking? i had responded to you in my own post, but then copied it over to your blog, but my computer hiccuped and I'm not sure it went through.
What an eventful week! Your first egg and a horse! I'm so excited for you and can't wait to read all about it.
I can't believe I missed so much on your farm. For some reason (I am a computer novice) I kept bringing up a post from January and I thought you hadn't written in awhile. I found all the new ones today and Wow a lot is going on. New horse, new goat, new egg.
The horse is beautiful. I have had horses all my life until now. Our last horse died about a year ago. We had her all her life. I won't get another....unless I get grandkids close by.
The goat if wonderful. She will start settling in, if not already, and not be so noisy. Bless you for taking her home. Bet you can't have just one:)
I am thrilled to see your Speckled Sussex. I am going to order three more and I have to have a Silver Laced Wyandotte or two.
While looking for another llama, I talked to a lady about the different kinds of llamas. She said that my Koo is a classic llama with his shorter neck and leg hair. He also has guard hairs. She said that the ones with the longer hair on the neck, like your brown one, are more like alpacas and have the better fiber for spinning. I didn't know that. She also said llamas are smarter than alpacas because they were originally bred for working ability and alpacas just for fiber. I just know my Koo has quite a personality.
Well I wrote way too much but had some catching up to do.
Enjoyed the blog.
I have awarded you the Excellent Blogger Award. Please stop by my site to pick up your big E: http://nuzzlingmuzzles.blogspot.com
Wow! I am soooo jealous. I've wanted a horse my entire life, but I too keep hearing what money pits they are and everything on this farm has to at LEAST pay for themselves, preferably with enough to allow me to stay at home and enjoy them! Denali (I love that) is gorgeous. Wow. Could not ask for a more beautiful horse. I also want to know what experience you have with horses and how long you've been taking lessons. Thats AWESOME that your lessons include bareback and bitless. That seems like it would be rare.
sugarcreekstuff, yes, yes! I am so licky and absolutely blessed! Like I said before "Pinch me!"
farmgirl,
Yes, the critters keep coming, don't they! haha I've been taking lessons only for about 2 months. I've been reading books and watching videos on horse care since I was a little girl. I've wanted my own horse that long. I set a goal for myself that I would get serious about owning a horse after I turned 40, and this year I turned 41. Not too bad.
I suppose if one's heart isn't in it and one thinks of owning a horse more like another chore and not something to look forward to, then a horse would probably feel like a money pit.
Ironically, my husband is the one who has been most encouraging and supportive in my dream to own my horse. I have him to thank for making it all possible. Like I said before, "I am SO blessed".
And yep, I got the high-altitude baking tips you posted Thanks!
Thanks Christy! I'm excited, too. Please check back for future updates.
goatgirl, thanks for visiting! Yes, it's been an excited and busy week. Unfortunately that one egg was our last for the week. I keep looking all around the coop and henhouse every day for eggs, but find none. That one must have been a fluke practice run. I can't wait until we get eggs every day!
Oh you will love the Speckled Sussex personalities. And the Silver Laced Wyandottes are fabulous coop ornaments! hehe
You were right. Luna the goat is settling in quite well with the llamas. She is still friendly to me, but doesn't bleat all the time and acting so lonely.
Some fellow goat friends are still in the works right now, so keep an eye out for future 'goatie' updates!
Your Koo is so beautiful. Are you doing any spinning or use of his fiber this year?
I don't think I'll be able to shear our male, Catlinite because he had a 'full alpaca' cut last fall before he came to live here. It will probably take him another winter for his fiber to get long enough to do anything with.
Cataleya only had a 'barrel cut' and her fiber grows really fast. So, between the angora goats and her, I think I'll still be busy in fiber .
nuzzling muzzles, what an honor! thank you. I really enjoy your blog, too!
dv, thank you for visiting and thanks for the kind comments on my new horse.
I've wanted a horse my entire life, so the cost is not really a focus for me, though we have planned for it and are prepared for the costs involving horse care.
I compare owning a horse to owning dogs or cats. We spend money on our pets year after year for food, litter, toys, vet care, meds, licensing, lessons/training....and they don't pay us anything or make us any money.
But we can't imagine our lives without them because they bring us so much joy.
Only my first couple lessons were riding bareback. It's a perfect way for a beginner to focus on a horse's movements and synchronize their own to the horse, as well as learn balance and proper seat.
Most riders never feel the horse, only that thick leather saddle, so they don't recognize how to be soft in the seat and to pay attention to cues as well as give them, softer.
It was invaluable for me as a learning 'tool'.
Post a Comment