Wednesday, February 6, 2008

They Live!!!

Thanks to John's hard work and quick thinking, ALL 6 of our fish are ALIVE! We are completely amazed that they survived the deep freeze, hammers(including an ear-blasting bullet nailer), and bouts of hot water, followed by the quick thaw with the electric de-icer! (You can click any photo for a larger view)

They are quite fond of the de-icer.
We guessed that at the very end of the pond freeze, the fish only had about 2"-3" left to swim in. Their time was limited. But the largest koi and even the pretty white koi survived!

I was very worried about the safety of the fish around the de-icer, but they swim in and around it and are not harmed.
The big deal now is that the fish are very active and seem to think it's Spring. But the groundhog is claiming that we should expect another 6 weeks of winter! (And it feels like it, too)

2 comments :

Danni said...

Yay - they survived! They're so pretty. It's funny, I never realized koi were so fragile. For some reason, I had always thought they were just a type of carp that could withstand the winter freezing. The little carp (aka fancy goldfish) I used to put in my outdoor pond (wine barrel) would overwinter fine - despite the frozen water. They could live/hibernate over 4 months with no food. The thing that got 'em in the end were the dang raccoons - you must not have any of those?

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Hi farmgirl,

Well, I think that koi/carp are very tough, but we tend to worry about all of our critters around here. Keeps us up some nights, too.

I think our worries got more elevated when we realized that the pond had frozen down to within 2-3" of the bottom of the pond.

The worry was not only of them becoming frozen within the ice, but the lack of oxygen and higher pollution levels in the smaller space.

No, we've not seen any raccoons in our area. I don't think they are native to our mountains.