Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Under-Cover Livestock P.I.

Just in time for Valentine's Day....a little love story.

Lately I've been catching some hanky-panky going on between our female llama, Cataleya and our neighbor's gelding horse, Scout. But everytime I tried to sneak a photo and get closer, they'd stop and move apart.

Today, feeling like an under-cover private investigator, wielding a camera and peeking out from behind a juniper tree near our house, I was finally able to photograph them 'in-the-act'!

I'm telling you, they are in LOVE! They blow into each other's nostrils, rub their heads and faces all over each other, nuzzle one another's necks, and stand cheek-to-cheek'.

I get the impression that the alpha mare, Annie, is not so crazy about her gelding's new direction of affection, but I don't blame him for straying. Annie tends to boss him around, and Cataleya is the sweet, gentle, pretty long-haired 'horse-thing' next door.

(Excuse these grainy photos, because they really do look like something a P.I would have taken from afar. So go along with the imagination. hehe)(Click photos for larger views)

Scout and Cataleya playing 'kissy-face'.

Annie, you'd better be nice to my man...or else!(gurgly, green, spit-warning sound-effect placed here)
Darn! That crazy human behind the tree caught us! (Hope she won't sell our picture to the tabloids!)

4 comments :

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Good work on those pictures, Detective. They are very cute. Hilarious captions. I also like that you love guinea pigs! Though I have developed an allergy to guineas, I had them when I was young. To this day my mother, brother and I still make thweeping and cooing noises in honor of them.

Christy said...

That is just too cute! Nice detective work.

sugarcreekfarm said...

I love that last one - they have such a "we're busted" look on their faces :)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

sugarcreekfarm, your comment cracked up both me and my husband! hehe

Christy! Thanks, it's kind of fun, in a weird kind of way, to slink around our ranch being sneaky with the livestock! hehe

Thanks for stopping by, Nuzzling Muzzles! Nice to meet a fellow piggy lover. Believe it or not we used to have 10 piggies last year! Poeple kept on giving us their guinea pigs and oftentimes they were pregnant because the people had their sexes wrong! haha

So, through finding new homes for some and some passing on over the rainbow bridge, we now only have 4 piggies.

The piggies are lots of fun but it's impossible to open our fridge or rustle any kind of bag without all chaos breaking out "WHEEK, WHEEK, WHEEK!!!"

But I bet you still remember that! hehe