Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Bringing our New Horse Home

Today we drove over to Lorie's house to pick up our new horse, Dakota's Baby Doll!!
Lorie was in the middle of a lesson with one of my favorite lesson takers, Mary, and they were both happy to see me. So it was great to visit with the both of them, too. I already consider Lorie a friend, and not just my instructor.

Baby Doll was a little bit nervous, but loaded into our trailer amazingly well. Lorie was a huge help. She teaches me something almost every moment I'm around her and I'm so grateful for that.

And she even agreed to come to our house to help us unload Baby Doll and help us introduce her to her new 'digs'. So, we left her house and drove the 10 minutes to our house. John was in front pulling Baby Doll, followed by me in my van, and then Lorie (and Mary, too! yay!) in Lorie's truck.

The ride was pretty uneventful and quick, but John and I were amazed with how much the trailer moved as Baby Doll balanced herself and adjusted herself.

When we got to the house, Lorie showed us how to safely unload our new horse and Baby Doll came out easy, but neighing loudly back and forth with our neighbor's 3 horses.

When we got up to the pasture, Baby Doll was quite surprised to see both llamas and the goat looking at her. Still she didn't freak out and didn't mind us walking her closer to them. She just stayed a little wary and alert while the llamas and goat were so close.
She did so good!

When we got up to the barn and horse paddock, she walked in easily and after we took off her halter, she trotted over to the fenceline shared with our neighbor's 3 horses. She obviously felt much safer with strange horses, than strange looking llamas! haha

I left her some water and a flake of hay and talked quite a while with Lorie and Mary until they were ready to head back home.
Then I fed the llamas, goat, and chickens and let the dog out all while feeling incredulous that a horse now calls our property home.

Wow.


John driving the truck pulling trailer with our new horse inside.
Getting ready to leave Lorie's house.
You can just see Baby Doll back there
I took this picture as we drove over I-40 on the way home.

1 comment :

Emma the Golden Girl said...

and her Mom said,
Wow, she is a beauty. I'd love to hear more about her.