Sunday, March 2, 2008

Glued Eggs

Ok, I admit. I tend to be a bit lazy. I like to find ways to make my life easy and simple.

Ever since putting those wooden eggs into our chickens' nest boxes, I've had to reach and crawl into the henhouse to retrieve poop-covered wooden eggs on a daily basis. The eggs were always strewn all over the henhouse. It seemed by appearance's sake that my chickens have probably been playing soccer with these wooden eggs.

So, I finally said enough is enough. The eggs need to stay in the nestboxes, chickies!

Hot glue to the rescue!!

Have I ever mentioned that I love my hot glue gun? I think there are several things that anyone on a ranch or farm cannot do without and should keep in a tool box they carry around with them. A few on my list are the following: hot glue and gun, duct tape, rope, baling string and wire, wire cutter, pliers, hammer, nails, screws, screwdrivers, magnetic wand and gloves.

So, anyway, I decided that hot glue would do the trick at keeping the wood eggs where I wanted them. They've been in the nest boxes, stuck solid (to the chagrin of the soccer playing chickens) for about 4 days now. I'm so happy! (Click pics for larger views).



While I was out there, I decided to add some stepping perches for the second level nest boxes, because they didn't seem to be being used. The past two days, I've noticed that my chickens figured out the perch thing and are using the nest boxes on top now. How do I know? They like to toss the straw out onto the floor. haha!
One of our Ameracauna's sleeping. Poor sweetie got her toe stuck under the coop gate and has been sore for the past two days.

2 comments :

Christy said...

I LOVE my hot glue gun! And the chickens are just so cute. I can't wait to have chickens. Have I asked you what your favorite breed is? I know I've asked on a few blogs but can't remember which ones.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Hi Christy,
I bet you either scrapbook or do crafts, too?
I can't wait for you to have chickens, too!
My favorite breed is the Speckled Sussex, followed by the Barred Rocks, followed by the Rhode Island Reds, followed by the Ameracaunas.

I like the Silver Laced Wyandottes for their coop color, but they aren't as friendly and tend to be very independant and more 'flighty'.

My least favorites are our Brown Leghorn chickens. They are very independant, smart, and bossy. They are also not as friendly. But they are interesting to look at.