Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Luna's Got Her Groove On

OOOOOOHHHHHHH!!! I'M SO EXCITED!!

My goat mama said I could write this because I am just too excited and must get it all out and tell everyone why!

So many good things happened today for me.

First, a nice goat lover lady and her wonderfully sweet daughter came bringing two new goat friends for ME!!! I just couldn't believe it! FOR ME!! I haven't seen another goat for over a year!

And you know what else? They look just like me! Yes! They are angora goats, too!

Could things get any better?

Yes they could!

The nice goat lady and her daughter helped my goat mama give me a haircut. I was afraid at first because of the noisy trimmer thing. And it's been so long since I've been trimmed (or maybe ever at all, I'm not sure) that I was a little bit afraid.
But my goat mama fed me peanuts (mmmm! Yummy!) and the nice goat lady and her daughter fed me these wonderful licorice bites made just for special goats like me. And I felt so much better about the experience after that.

My trim took quite a bit of time and we had to take several breaks. My old moppy, dirty, itchy wool was so matted and there was so much of it. But the nice goat lady and her daughter were so gentle and careful that I really didn't mind too much. Everyone was so proud of me!!

And when all that heavy, ugly, itchy wool was cut off, I felt blissfully good! I felt light and clean and was so happy!

After my hair was cut, though, they did poke me with a very sharp needle, that my goat mama tells me was a CDT vacinne. I guess it's good for me. I didn't mind too much because everyone was feeding me those delicious licorice bites.

And then they stuck two kinds of paste in my mouth. They felt weird but tasted pretty good. My goat mama said they were a probiotic and something to get rid of worms. I don't think I needed the wormer stuff, though. I'm just too special to get worms, you know.

The last thing that they did to me was dust me off with some lice powder. I didn't have lice, of course, but they wanted to make sure. Either way it was just so lovely to get such a nice goat spa treatment, while my new goat friends watched from their pen.

Did I mention that I got two new angora goat friends????!!
I'm just so HAPPY!!

Goat mama took some pictures that she is posting on here to share with everyone, while I go now to enjoy some yummy peanuts and munch some hay.

B-b-b-b-b-b-y-y-y-yeeeee!!! (That's goat for goodbye!)


That's me BEFORE my trim with my goat mama and the nice goat lady holding me.
First they had me lay down to get my belly and sides. I almost fell asleep a few times. hehe
Look at all that wool coming off. I look like a banana being peeled!
Can you see how white and fuzzy and pretty I look under all that dirty wool that's coming off? My goat mama kept saying, "You're so pretty, Luna!" She loves me alot.
In this picture I was taking a little rest. I look like a lion, with a mane. And if you look closely, it looks like the lion is wearing a wedding dress with a train. I think I would like that, if only that 'train' wasn't so heavy and dirty.
In this photo, I'm almost done! The nice goat lady and her daughter are cutting my lion's mane away! Yay!
And here I am! TA DAH!!! My goat mama is holding me in the picture and is just so proud of me and telling me what a pretty girl I am. I'm so happy living here. Good things happen to me all the time. Don't I look pretty?
And look at that huge pile of wool that came off of me!

11 comments :

sugarcreekstuff said...

So clean and bright white! Is that old wool useable for anything other than future birdie nests?

Christy said...

You are so beautiful now. Can you see if your mamma can post pictures of your new friends? That is so exciting for you! My son says you look like a goat now and not a sheep.

deconstructingVenus said...

Wow, thats amazing. That looks SO much easier than the way we have to do it with scissors and dog trimmers. What were they using? Those huge expensive shearing jobbers that cost like $800? Im jealous.

Anonymous said...

Oh Luna, we really enjoyed meeting you and your people. Lily and Cloud will be good companions and lifelong friends. Thanks for being such an amazing goat. See ya in the fall for your next shearing. I promise next time wont be as scarey.
Your Friend,
The Goat Wrangler at
Flying Goat Ranch

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

sugarcreekstuff,
Thank you!! That's the first thing I said , too "She's so bright and white!"
I don't think there's much in her wool that I can salvage, though I plan on sorting through it and washing out any parts that seem good.
And the rest of the wool will make some of the birdies around here, preparing for Spring, very happy.

Christy,
Thanks for the wonderfully nice comments. I posted the photos of the new goats in the next post up. Let me know what you think. Tell Logan, that was the first thing I thought, too, after seeing how pretty and white Luna looked. She didn't look like a shaggy sheep anymore. Logan is very observant!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

DV, Yep, I think they were those big pricey trimmers. I'm jealous, too. I wonder if Kat can write them off as a business expense? She does an awesome job at taking care of her goats. I could not be happier with Cloud and Lily.

And she did a number on Luna, too, as you can see. Luna feels so much better now.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Kat,

Luna is sending you goat kisses! She especially appreciates that little bag filled with licorice goodies that you left for her and Cloud and Lily.
She says to tell you that you are welcome back ANY time, with shears or not. hehe
We are so glad to have you and Chloe as our new goatie friends.

barb said...

thanks so much for visiting my blog...BUT who has the more interesting life here??? Come on a ranch, goats, sheep, a ranch. Bet you'll tell me you have an herb garden then I'll really be jealous.
Oh and you live in one of my most favorite states.

Must go read more..........thanks again

goatgirl said...

I am so glad that Luna got her groove on. There is something about grooming an animal that truly makes her yours. Like off with the dirt from the other place and now she is renewed.
Have fun with your goats. They are very entertaining.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Doodles,
It is a close tie, then! I've often dreamt about traveling the country in an RV with no baggage or responsibilities left behind at home. A home on wheels sounds so magic....just like a tumbleweed...blowing where the wind takes it.

You don't have to be jealous of one thing, though. No. I do not have an herb garden...yet! haha
Would love one though. Got any plant recommendations for a beginner, like me?

And if you ever get blown through my state, please look us up so you can come visit our ranch.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

goatgirl,
You know I never thought of it that way, but, yes, that is exactly how it feels. Sweet Luna feels like truly my goat now.

I know what you mean by enjoying the goats. I had fun watching all 4of the goats playing today. They were climbing up onto a small table and cable spool and then jumping off again.
Thanks for stopping by an leaving such a ncie comment.