Yes!! It's what you think it is!! A Triple Yolker!!! From one of our hens on Laughing Orca Ranch!! Wow!Yesterday, our beautiful Ameracauna pullet, Angelina Ballerina, laid the most beautiful and super large green egg. Today I decided to cook it up for breakfast and figured it would be another Double Yolker, which seems to be the norm around here. haha

But when I cracked the egg open onto the griddle, my jaw dropped open and I screamed to my family, "Come look!!! Angelina Ballerina gave us a TRIPLE YOLKER!!". We were all SOOOO excited!
I have no idea how common or rare triple yolk eggs are, but I'd be interested in knowing, along with the odds of our ranch getting more future triple yolk eggs from our lovely girl. Anyone know???
And I wonder if I did manage to gather up 12 triple yolk eggs, would the price for a dozen be triple, too?
(By the way, I've never had the privilege of eating a triple yolk egg before, and this morning was my first. But I probably won't want to make it a habit unless I want high cholesterol! hehe)
12 comments :
Holy Cats!!! Are all your chickens brand new to laying? I have no idea about how rare a triple-yolker is, but I've never seen one.
Ah Ha, I found it. Me and Google are best buds.
Occasionally an abnormal egg is produced when something goes wrong with this natural assembly line. Double- or triple-yolked eggs occur when two or three yolks enter the oviduct at the same time and all are surrounded by the albumen, membranes, and shell of a single egg. Such eggs are considered rare. Records show that only one out of every five hundred thousand chicken eggs has two yolks and one out of every 25 million has three yolks. Yolkless eggs also may occur if something prevents the yolk from entering the oviduct. In this rare case only the white gets enclosed in the shell and the egg is usually smaller. A chicken's yolkless egg will be about the size of a pigeon's normal egg.
OMG, CeeCee!!! So there's only a one in 25 Million chance of getting a triple yolk egg??? Holy Cow!
And we don't just have one triple yolk egg here. No, we've also got THREE double yolk eggs, too!
Now what are the odds of that, all on the SAME farm??
I'm flabbergasted!
Thanks so much for doing the research for me today. You rock!
And yes, all of our chickens are first year layers, and only 22 weeks old.
We bought them from Privett's Hatchery here in New Mexico. I wonder if other Ameracuana hens from that hatchery have also commonly laid Double and Triple Yolk Eggs, too?!
Too cool! I've never seen a triple before. I've also heard our home growns have less cholesterol, so eat up!
Triple yolk!!!WOW! Our chickens didn't even get DOUBLE yolk! We always had regular, one yolk eggs...a few years ago we bought eggs from a farmer, and some of those had double yolk, but none of our chickens ever lay them...although the people we sell eggs to say they got an egg the other day with no yolk...I guess our chickens just aren't that interesting...
Happy Easter!
Wow, I have never seen a triple yolk egg, and I've been living a long time, ha, ha!! Way to go! You've got some super chickens!!!
thanks for stopping by and encouraging me to eat more home-grown eggs, sugarcreek stuff. Next time I eat a double yolk or triple yolk egg (E-gads!) I'll think of you! hehe
Mell, Oh poo! Your chickens are very interesting and beautiful, too. Finding the surprise contents in our eggs recently has been exciting, I must admit, but even if they didn't lay any eggs, I'd still be fascinated and enjoy our chickens.
Thanks for posting a comment, Rural Writer. It means so much coming from you with all of your critter experience and all.
I wish you could have been here when I cracked open that triple yolker. We could have screamed and jumped up and down together......
and then argued over who was gonna eat it! hehehe
Oh, that is wild! Now, were you able to flip it without breaking the yolks?
How cool!
hahaha, Meg! You know what? I was!
These farm fresh, home grown eggs are much firmer and tend to be less watery. They make perfect sunnyside up or omelettes, too.
Hi Christy!
Thanks!
Wow - take a few days off from blog-reading and you get a triple-yolker! That is amazing - what a wonderful discovery it must have been.
Thanks for sharing. I just love your egg posts!
Just came across this post look for something else... but I can't pass by without commenting. There must be a genetic component to the double/triple yolk phenomenon, as in it runs in certain bloodlines. I say this because apparently its common in some farms and uncommon in others.
I used to buy organic free-range eggs from our local supermarket and we got at least 1, often 3 or more, 2-yolk eggs in every dozen we bought. So while I can see the 500,000:1 ratio working out relative to -all- eggs produced, in the ones we bought it was very common. I can only assume it was the chickens. ;)
Either that or I used up all my luck on eggs... no wonder I never win the lottery. Then again it might help to buy the occasional ticket, I suppose. :)
Post a Comment