EIGHT!!!
We were quite suprised to crack open four of our eggs this morning for breakfast, only to discover that all four of them had double yolks! Even our brown leghorn laid a huge white egg filled with two yolks. (I'm glad, too, because I've been annoyed at those leghorn girls lately for eating their own eggs)
We all enjoyed a delicious and filling breakfast with the very generous, tasty gifts from our feathered girls.
6 comments :
Amazing! What are you feeding those chickens!?
Geez Louise, you must have set a record or something. A new category for Guiness Book---most multiple yolks in a week, month, year.
Seriously though, what hatchery did those chickens come from? Maybe it's their feed. The math here is off the charts.
Hey Meg,
Just organic chicken feed, scratch, kitchen scraps, a few bugs and oyster shell.
The double yolkers and the triple yolker have usually come from our Ameracauna girls, so I was surprised to find that one of our brown leghorns are laying double yolkers, too. It's really cool, isn't it?
Hi Cee Cee,
I know, it's crazy!
So far the tally is:
Seven double yolk eggs...oh wait!
We had TWO more double yolks today!! (photos forthcoming).
So that brings the tally up to NINE double Yolk Eggs and one TRIPLE Yolk egg....in only 4 weeks of laying.
I have no idea why they are laying so many multiple yolk eggs. I've read that when pullets first begin to lay, their systems are a little loopy and they will lay odd eggs and multiple yolk eggs.
But I can usually count on at last one or two double yolk egg once a week.
It will be interesting to see how long this lasts.
Our chicks were ordered from our Privett's Hatchery in Southern, New Mexico.....not too far from Roswell......(insert spooky alien music here: ooooo...eeeee...ooooo)
hehehe
"not far from Roswell" LOL!! ;) Ooo, radioactive space chickens!
CeeCee,
Like I said....Oooooo...eeeee.....oooooo
hehehe
Post a Comment