Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Big Egg


Found this XX-Large egg in one of our nest boxes yesterday.
Anyone care to guess how many yolks might be inside it?
Keep in mind. We've had double yolkers here and one triple yolk. I've read that Quad yolks are rare, but not unheard of, too. Or maybe it is just one super large yolk inside?

I'll update by the weekend just how many yolks it has, when I crack it open for a Mega Omlette!

6 comments :

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I don't know if it is the lighting, but the big egg looks slightly lopsided. Based on its shape, I'm guessing 3 yolks -- two on the long side and one on the bulging side. However, I will keep my fingers crossed for 4.

Gudl said...

Sometimes we get XXXL eggs, too! Then the egg carton doesn't close right!!
It is funny, our eggs come in all size and colors, too. It is a daily surprise ;-)

Carla said...

I have one hen that lays the xxl egg. Can't get the carton closed. When she first started laying, those eggs would have a double yolk. Now it's just one yolk and lots of white.

Anonymous said...

I am going to say 2 yolks. Two large yolks. Poor hen. Those big eggs must hurt a little?? Just a sympathy thought.lol..Have a great weekend.

It's me said...

As a former farm girl who learned never to be toooooo optimistic, I vote one. Yup, One.

I can't be disappointed if it's anything more, and the odds are minimal that it will be less. Win:Win in my estimation :)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Hey everyone!

Thanks for guessing about the egg and reading my bog. I really appreciate it!

The results of the egg contents are on a recent blog post called "Double Trouble"