This is the route I took yesterday. From Route 66 near Edgewood, along I-40 East, northward on NM-84, with a brief stint on I-25 and then through Las Vegas, NM and farther north still, into the beautiful mountains, passing through Mora and a few other tiny towns, to my final destination in Chacon, NM, a lovely valley surrounded by mountains and hills.

A little train break in Las Vegas, NM.. (No casinos here)


Past the old mill in La Cueva, home of Salman Ranch, where the best raspberries in New Mexico grow.


I love these old adobe brick buildings. They are everywhere in New Mexico. They require maintenance, depending upon weather, to keep the bricks protected. This maintenance is called "Mudding". A local friend and her family used mudding to plaster their strawbale house that they built themselves. Ironwood Farm Project is a fascinating blog all about self-sustainability. To see how mudding was done on their strawbale house, click on the above link and then click on the label 'The house' in the right-hand column.

My final destination, a gorgeous ranch in Chacon, NM.

Beautiful horses roam on large pastures and drink fresh mountain spring water bubbling up from the ground in one of the original historic adobe buildings, and redirected into holding ponds via a waterfall. So lovely! There is a 'mysterious' metal building behind the horse barn and fruit orchard. You can just about see the roof above the trees. What is inside that building was the reason for my 6 hour round-trip journey.

My new friends, Dave and Gerald, owners of beautiful Quest End Ranch who are both wonderfully fascinating people that adore their animals. I could have spent all day there enjoying talking with them.

Driving back home, after my visit in Chacon, these llamas in tiny Mora, NM brought a huge smile to my face.


My grin widened when I noticed all of the communal dung piles scattered over their pasture. (click photo for larger image)
9 comments :
Well, you are bringing home a new family member, but of what species -- I have no idea. I guess you are due for a pig. What would a farm be without a pig?
I'm guessing you brought home one or more of their sheep. OR one of their horses. You just got a new dog and you probably wouldn't drive 6 hours for a barn cat.
Most pictures of the new animal. :)
You are a stinker, making us wait and see.
OOOoo, Coolio---please say you brought home a Churro or two!!
Me again---Are Navaho sheep and Jacob sheep related? I'm sort of making an assumption aren't I?
I'm totally confuzzled....I'm guessing another animal, you seem to get them a lot. :D
Okay, you've left us hanging long enough! :)
Well, what did you get?
Nuzzling Muzzles....close...but not a pig.
Hi CeeCee.....not a horse...and you were right about a dog. Though there Great Pyrenees were amazing, they were simply too large and needed to have a real guarding job to do.
Sheep, you say? Hmmm.....maybe....Wanna guess what kind?
Hey sugarcreekstuff! I know. hehehe I'm having too much fun with the suspense thing. Sorry! hehe
CeeCee,
You nabbed it!!! Well one if them anyway! hehe
Oh! And Navajo Churro and Jacobs Sheep are totally different breeds. Though they are both very rare and endangered sheep breeds.
Hey Mell,
Of course...another critter. What did you think it was? A refrigerator? hehehe
CeeCee, I agree. Pics and new post coming up shortly.
Hey Christy
What do YOU think I got?
hehehe
(I am SO bad!...or rather.....Baaaaaaad!!! hint-hint)
Post a Comment