Yesterday on the way up to the barn, I asked my 11 yr old son, Jackson, if he wanted to come with me to help feed the critters, walk the baby goat up there and visit with his favorite goat, Pepper.
We walked and talked our way up the hill, laughing at our little goat, Moon Pie and his eagerness to stick close to us while running as fast as he could to avoid being sniffed by the llamas and other goats.
While I loaded up all the different feed and hay for the animals, Jackson kept an eye on Moon Pie and played with both him and Pepper in the pen. He then helped me feed the angora goats and helped refill the horse's water. Jackson also gave our horse some horse cookies and then headed back into the barn, where I noticed tears were flowing from his eyes.
He didn't look sad or hurt, so I asked him what was on his mind.
He stopped and said he was just so incredibly grateful for our lives and that if he died tomorrow he would die happy.
I tell you, I wanted to cry, too.
You see, getting a little ranch filled with wonderful critters has always been a dream of mine, and I wanted to give my children a taste of this kind of life and a better life than what they've had living in side-by-side, cookie cutter houses in sterile subdivisions. A life where things are simpler and having the opportunity to grow some of our own food. Where living day to day does not revolve around driving from activity to activity or hanging out at malls. A life where God’s creatures and the landscape touches your soul. A place to feel freedom. A place to reconnect with family and self.
A place to feel grateful for.
I think we are accomplishing that…….
Sharing a few photos taken today. Spring is coming....finally.
Our Apricot Tree is flowering.

The bulbs I planted last fall are finally peeking out of the soil.

A few of them have blooms waiting to burst open with beauty and color. Aaaahhhh...Spring....Please stay.
11 comments :
What a blessing you have there:) It never ceases to amaze me how God uses our children to speak to us;) Great job your doing!
Blessings
Regina
What a wonderful moment with your son. I feel exactly the same way about our life on the farm.
That is a great memory that you will carry forever. That is so great that you have the opportunity to do that while the kids are still young. I will do it one day. Not sure when it will be able to happen, but it will!
I know exactly how you feel. You have a great son, there.
I enjoyed my visit here today so much.
I am behind on my blog visits. I can see now I need to do more visiting.
What a beautiful story! And what a beautiful life you all have there.
What a wonderful moment. I hope my kids are as happy in their lives here. Thanks for sharing.
I know what you mean about those cookie-cutter houses side-by-side in sterile subdivisions. I often see people with out-of-state plates buzzing new subdivisions in search of a new home, and I want to tell them there are better options. After living on my small acreage with animals, I would never go back to living on or with anything less.
What a great thing to share with your son! He's a deep thinker. Of course he's had his share of deep things to think about in his young life.
Hello Sea2Shore,
Thank you so much for saying such a wonderful comment about the way we are raising our children. As you know it's not always easy. SO when those 'magic moments' pop up, it really does make it all worth it, doesn't it?
Hi Billie,
Thanks for stopping by and leaving such a nice comment. I'm glad you feel the same way, too.
Hi FrugalMom.
Thanks for stopping by, too and being so kind. I know it will happen for you, too. Because you have that same passion and desire.
Hold it within your heart and don't let it go. You are also so blessed.
Hi GA FarmGirl,
I'm behind , too. Very behind. Which is even more meaningful to me that you stopped by to read my blog and enjoyed it so much. We really are both so blessed, aren't we?
Hi Christy,
And I could say the same to you...and I think I will! Hugs from me to you!
FarmMom,
Your welcome, and thank you for visiting and leaving such a sweet comment. I am sure that your kids feel the same way about the amazing life you are giving them, too. How wonderfully blessed you and your family are.
Nuzzling Muzzles,
I know of this wonderful folk song that I must share with you soon. It is called Ticky Tacky, which sings about all the ticky tacky identical cookie cutter neighborhoods across America.
I know what you mean, too. When I drive back into the city, my heart rate increases and some of my joy is taken away....until I drive back into the country again.
CeeCee,
What an absolutely profound thing to say. And yes, how true...how very true. Thank you for being so understanding and supportive. You are a special online friend. Its really nice knowing that you are just one state away.
Post a Comment