Saturday, April 12, 2008

What is it?


Anyone know what kind of plant this is? We have bunches of it growing in large areas of our property. Wondering if it's a safe plant for critters to munch.

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

I think it is alfalfa. It looks like it. Lisa

Carla said...

Here's a very extensive list (with pictures) of things that are poisonous to animals.
http://texnat.tamu.edu/cmplants/toxic/byimage/byimage.html
I hope this stuff is good for the animals since you have it all over the place.

Carla said...

You know what, here's a better way to get around that site---it's by animal species.
http://texnat.tamu.edu/cmplants/toxic/bylivestock.html

sugarcreekstuff said...

Are the leaves thick? If so it looks like some sort of sedum. I don't know if its edible or not.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Hi CeeCee,

Thanks for those links. I did some checking for a while, but didn't find any descriptions that matched what we have, so that may be a good thing.
I want to do some more checking, too.
Also, we don't have this plant in our pastures, only near our house.

Anony, thanks for leaving a comment. But I don't think it's alfalfa. It grows in bunches without any water.

Hmmm, sugarcreekstuff. I need to check that out. I remember the leaves aren't abnormally thick...like 'lambs ears', but they're not thin either. I'll check for a picture online of Sedum. Maybe that's what it is.

Anonymous said...

Lisa, try emailing someone at your extension office. They probably have a free pamphlet to send you on plants in your area - and a wealth of other information!

http://extension.nmsu.edu/garden.html