Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Zuni's Graduation


John has been taking our 5 1/2 month old German Shepherd to an Albuquerque PetSmart for weekly Obedience classes.
They've been having a great time and have made some real progress, too. Zuni is turning into a great dog to have around. She has learned some self-control and is much calmer and obedient. But she's still a puppy and had a lot of growing and learning to do. So, we'll be doing more classes with her and setting up Agility classes this year, too.
Here are some pics from the graduation.
"Zuni Come" This is not an easy feat when you think about. Lots of distraction like people shopping, other dogs, and lovely dog food smells all around.
"Sit Zuni" Good girl!
She did a terrific job.
Even the instructor did a few 'tests' with her. And she came through with flying colors.
There was some kind of test with the leash resting on the other dog while being calm and respectful to the other dog. She was excited but respectful.
Congratulations Zuni!!

13 comments :

Anonymous said...

Congrats. Zuni! Great job. Zuni is a beautiful dog. I know she is a pleasure to have in your family too.

Peggy said...

I wonder if they would train goats??? LOL They could make alot of money from me right now.

Pat - Arkansas said...

Yes, congratulations to Zuni! She's a beautiful dog. I doubt that humans could be so easily trained if all verbal communication was "woof, woof, bark, bark!" (grin)

Anonymous said...

Congrats Zuni! Such a cute picture of him in his graduation cap:)

Mellimaus said...

Zuni is so beautiful, and smart, too! Congratulations, Zuni! :D

Pony Girl said...

Congrats to Zuni!! When I was a child we had a German Shepherd named Saxon. He had one ear that flopped over (we adopted him as an adult and his ear had been slammed in the door as a puppy.) He was a really nice dog.

Pony Girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sugarcreekfarm said...

She's such a beauty! (Then again I'm a little partial to GSDs :) She's way better trained than Ava.

Stop over at my blog - you've won a prize :)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

GA Farmgirl, Sea2Shore, Pat, Peggy, Mell, Pony Girl, Sugar creek farm,

Thank you for all the warm and wonderful comments and congratulations. They are much appreciated.

Peggy, I think that goats are trainable, not sure how much, or as much as dogs. BUt it would be worth a try! hehe Are your goats trying your patience?

Pony girl,
Your GSD sounds he was a very special part of your family.

Hi Sugar creek farm,
Your Ava is awesome! I know that Zuni couldn't herd pigs like your Ava does. And thanks for offering such a special prize!

Carla said...

Ha, good for her! I love when the GSD puppies get tired and their ears droop. My vet took every opportunity when Mandy was a pup to say, "What'd you name that dog, Floppy?" Mandy's ears stay up all the time now.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Hi CeeCee,
It would be cute if her ears were still floppy, but no, the reason one of her ears looks like that, is that the instructor bent Zuni's ear to put the graduation cap on.

Robbyn said...

congratulations!! :)

Cheryl Ann said...

She's BEAUTIFUL! We have our third German Shepherd, Rommel! We lost our second, Maverick, to hip problems, so I know how painful that was for you. I couldn't stand the silence and when I saw his footprints in the sand, I cried! We went out two weeks later and bought Rommel. He's the quietest and best behaved of our 3 shepherds. He would have made a wonderful therapy dog. He has skin issues and I feed him lots of salmon and anchovies and now his coat is long and beautiful, but he still gets his prednisone when he needs it.