Monday, October 13, 2008

The Scoop On Poop



Around here, we know all about poop, and figured we might as well share.
Of course, if you live with animals of any kind (except stuffed), then you know all about poop, too.
Catlinite knows a little bit about poop, too. Don't ya boy?

But I betcha didn't know that there is a science called: Scatology, did you?
Well now your life has been changed! Now you can brag to everyone you know, that Scatology is the study of feces. Wow! How amazing is that, people?

And another bulky nugget of interest I really didn't care to know about, has kind of stumbled into my lap...so I'm going to toss it into yours:

Coprophilia, also known as fecophilia, is a sexual attraction to turds.(Ewww!)

And Coprophobia, also known as fecophobia, is a strong fear of any kind of poopie or human excrement. (I'd fit into this category, if I really had a choice. But I don't. So, I have to deal with it, buck up, and muck up!)

And let's not forget the oh so delicious practice of:
Coprophagia, which just so happens to involve the consumption of crap, which is normal behavior in certain animal species, but rarely practiced by humans. (Thank God!)

And something a little more saner(if anything in this blog post can be construed as such):
A coprolite is a fossilized doodie.

And did you know that there is a website devoted to nothing but poop?
There really is...go check it out(you just know you really want to):
All about Poop

But this post isn't about human poop, or even fossilized dinosaur turds. It's about the stinky matter that farm animals leave behind for humans to scoop, rake, shovel, scrape, and muck up.

I've been compiling an interesting list of the names people often give to animal poo, and oddly enough they all seem to lead to food names. Why do we do that?
Is it so that the job of mucking and shoveling doesn't seem as unpleasant?

Oh sure. "Look! Some lovely goat berries to harvest" or "How lovely. My adorable horsie left me some pretty little apples to pick."
People are weird, don't you think?

On our little ranch we have a wonderful variety of edible
sounding animal poop, such as:

Horse Apples
Llama (Lima)Beans
Goat Berries
Sheep nuggets
Chicken squirt soup
Cat Tootsie Rolls
Kitty bon bons
Mouse jujubees
Guinea Pig Banana Beans
Lawn sausage (dog)
Meadow muffins (cows/horses)
Rabbit raisins
Dingle berries (poop balls adhering to the hair around the anus)
White wash (birds)

And not far from us are animals with scrumptious sounding poop, too, like:

Buffalo chips
Cow pies
Cattle cookies
Elk duds

Now, doesn't this just spike up your appetite? Let's all run to the store for some Moose Tracks, alrighty?

Ok, let's get down to business. If you have to use the kitty litter box, go now.
Or else, please sit down with that bowl of Moosetracks and read on.

Ever since last winter, I've been having a manure issue with my two llamas. Oh no, you say. "Not those smart little buggers." Well, yes.
They seem to think their living quarters also serve as their potty. I want them to deposit their beans into a neat little pile on the far side of their pen, in the area not covered by the roof.
They don't want to get wet or be inconvenienced in any way. And while I appreciate their feelings, winter is coming and they do need to share their pen with 5 goats and 2 sheep, who probaby don't want to squeeze into the leftover space not covered in a mountain of llama beans.
So, we had a talk.

And they decided to do as I asked.But not without a little grumbling and some coercion on my part.(notice that plastic pet fence back there?)And that upside-down wheelbarrow? Yes, I literally had to block off any areas those two hairy beasts decided to plant some beans. Thank goodness it's only temporary. Looks like the Clampett's junkyard in there.

Now onto other poopie discussions.

If you have a horse, you know how much poop they can create. Oh excuse me: Apples and Meadow Muffins. Sheesh.
It's one thing, if they are usually tidy little poopers, like my mare, Baby Doll, who mostly uses one area or corner of her pen or paddock to leave behind her pretty gifts of chocolate muffins.
But sometimes she gets a little absent-minded while out riding. She'll have plenty of opportunity to scatter poop in the grass, where the poop will melt back into the earth eventually, but instead she'll decide that leaving a trail of her chunky apples in the middle of the road is much better.
"Yes, my pretty painted pony, I am talking about you"


If you have chickens, you also know alot about poop. You know not ever to walk around barefoot where chickens have waddled, unless you like a gooey feeling between your toes. You know that it's quite shocking how much poop a coop full of large birds can contain.

Hey I like that.

Poop Coop. Coop of Poop. Poopie Coopie.

Baby Doll and I prefer to stand outside the coop and enjoy watching our chickens sometimes. She doesn't like chicken doodie on her feet either.

If you have goats, you know that they don't care at all where their tiny doodie berries end up. In fact they will even pee and poop while walking along, as if they aren't even aware they are doing it.
We used to bottle-feed and keep our cute little Mud Pie inside the house. But Moon Pie kept us so busy scooping up little trails of goat berries, that we knew it was finally time for him to lead a normal goatie barn life.
My dear Luna is notorius for stopping and squatting to pee and poop whenever she feels threatened. She will also poop on the hay, so the other animals won't eat it. But then she'll decide that she doesn't want poop on her hay either, even if it is her own, and she put it there.

Cats are another critter you've got to watch out for. If they live outside, they tend to choose your child's sand box to leave stinky presents in, or maybe even your flourishing veggie garden. Mmmmm! Isn't it great to be picking weeds and your knee squishes into a kitty turd?
"No, Catlinite, Oreo is not pooping in your paddock. He has a litterbox in the barn...and he'd better use it"

Well, I hope you've enjoyed this wonderfully educational, and hopefully entertaining scoop on poop.

And yep, you guessed it. This is The End!

23 comments :

Grey Horse Matters said...

Well, I've got to say that in the end, that is more than I ever wanted to know about poop. But thanks for the information. I love all the cute names for poop. My dogs usually have a few dingle berries hanging about the butt, and it's not a fun clean up job.

billie said...

I feel sure you understand my intention to put a Buddha head statue on top of Mount Poop, on the way down to the labyrinth path... :)

Managing manure has become a sort of zen practice around here!

I LOVE the photo of your daughter and all the animals following her. What a wonderful image.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

That last picture is so cute. I'm off for my two-hour commute to the office, but hope to come back and explore your amazing series of excretion songs. Was this one of your home schooling science lessons? I know we have a book around the house somewhere about it that we used as a home school lesson. Thank God my kids are mostly grown. Although, it is sad that they no longer laugh at my fart jokes. I have had to train myself to stop cracking them.

Andrea said...

I just got inside from tossing the poop!! LOL!! What a fun post. And it is rather disterbing how people put food names to nasty things like poop!! LOL! Fun post, you had me laughing!! Love that last picture!!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, we have the scoop on poop around here too.
Did you know??..that Jack likes to poop in one spot. Not in the barn, he has one area that he uses and then when it gets loaded high, he finds another spot. Handy for composting.
Also, when Annie the goat was a week old and her mother died, I put a pampers on Annie and brought her in with me for a while. That is one reason she is spoiled rotten.
Now...I guess that is more than anyone wanted to know about poop around here.lol...
Have a great day.
Pam

Gone2theDawgs said...

Well! As of today I have made you the official "FECAL FOCAL" of blogging! :)

Having animals of any kind makes poo a big part of your life (at least if you have any sanitary thoughts....) I'm always amazed at people that WANT to go down and see my animals and then are terrified of stepping on poo.

(Some, well most, barnyard poo is hard to pick up, other than equines and camelids, IF the camelids like to use piles):)

I keep thinking about a couple of signs I've seen on ebay that say Chicken, Turkey, etc. Country Watch your Step! But I would have to use a very large gate to hang the signs to cover all the different animal poo they will find in there...they should have a Farm Animal Country Watch Your Step!

LatigoLiz said...

One of the best stinkin’ posts I have read in a long time!!!

GreyWolf said...

Well as a "bare footer" I absolutly hate that squishy feeling! But I guess that is the price for free ranging. And when I do step in it I usually call it what it is. Nice to see you didn't include that word in your list.
Keep up the good lessons, I am enjoying Blog School very much.
And I promise not to leave an "apple" on your desk. :)

Melanie said...

Oh my goodness gracious, Lisa...if this post doesn't beat all...lol!!!

I knew it was going to be good when the song came on before I could see what the post was about, and it was an introduction to "poop!"

Funny how those of us who either grew up on farms, or live on them now, can talk about this subject so loosely!
Other people think that we are nuts...lol!!!

Now...just where did you find those songs???

Christy said...

That last picture is great! What an amazing life having all those animals follow you around.

Dan and Betty said...

Hey, I just came in from scooping horse poop and I get to read about more poop?

It was well done. But I have to admit, I hate dog poop the most - but I don't have Llamas, chickens or goats.

Dan

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

LMAO, OMG I so needed that laugh...a bit TOO educational, but hilarious all the same. I miss our goats soooooo much, even if they did leave their "raisens" everywhere... Your critters are just adorable!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

lol! Arlene. I know about those dingleberries, too. My sheep get them under their long tails. It's right nasty back there, too. :P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey Billie,
I think it could be zen-like around here, too, except scooping all thise poop usually makes me end up in a sweat. lol!
Thanks for visiting and the comment on the picture, too. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well, I was going to upload a new post tonight, but I'll hang on just so you can jam to the excretion selections. hehe
My kids love fart jokes anything about bodily functions. We don't really study them, though...it's more of a huge laugh fest and things get out of hand rather quickly. lol!

Oh man! We've got to get together with some margaritas and just laugh like hyenas. I'd love to hear your fart jokes, NM!
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for stopping by Andrea. I'm very glad you like this post and it made you smile. I found the food names for poop so odd, I couldn't help but (butt?) post about them. lol!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Pam,
Sounds like Jack is alot like our llamas, who typically use a central single dung pile to leave their beans in. How nice for you that he does that :)

Ya know, I don't think you're a crazy goat lady for keeping Annie in the house. That would make me one, also. lol! We used diapers on Moon Pie, too, when we had him in the house, but male goats are built a little bit differently than females...and well...they don't make diapers for male goats either. lol!

cdncowgirl said...

Cessa ALWAYS has to poo in the barn. Even if she is just coming in the side door and taking 6 steps to go out the front door.
Sheesh.
When I used to barrel race her it was always interesting to clean her stall at finals. It would look totally clean except for the one wet spot where she pee'd. But there was always LOTS of poo, she'd just hide it under the straw. It was always along the 3 walls where her feed/water were not located.

cdncowgirl said...

Cessa ALWAYS has to poo in the barn. Even if she is just coming in the side door and taking 6 steps to go out the front door.
Sheesh.
When I used to barrel race her it was always interesting to clean her stall at finals. It would look totally clean except for the one wet spot where she pee'd. But there was always LOTS of poo, she'd just hide it under the straw. It was always along the 3 walls where her feed/water were not located.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Ok Wrensong, what do I get? An award? Or just a pile of doodie? hehe

I've got an idea for the perfect sign for your place: "The Poop Farm...watch your step" lol :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey Latigo Liz,
We aim to please around here. Bring your own air freshener, though :)
Glad you liked it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey Grey Wolf,
I appreciate that. I'll always save you a special seat in Blog School. Oh, and we try to keep our mouths clean around here....poop on the ground....not in our mouths. :)

And I didn't know you were a 'barefooter", too. Angie and I discovered that we shared that trait as well. We're all true spirits aren't we?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

haha Melanie! So true. I'm glad you enjoyed my post today and that it made you laugh. You can create your own playlists, and change them around quickly and easily. Scroll down the right side of my blog and find that music list widget. Click on 'Create your Own Play List"...and follow the instructions. It's fun :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh Christy, my friend...that's going to be you in just a few more weeks, too!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh I do agree, Dan. Dog poo is just the nastiest. Sorry about adding onto your poop chores. But as my hubby says, "Ya gotta love that poop!"
After having twins and then a third child...and all those thousands of poopy diapers, poop is no stranger to us. :P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Awww! Thanks Denise. I'm glad that my post made you laugh. Goats are so cute aren't they? ::
Thanks for stopping by and leaving such a nice comment, too.

Pony Girl said...

That is a hilarious post! Very creative names. I love meadow muffins! ;) I sure wish we could all take a field trip to the Laughing Orca! You have such wonderful animals there!
My Boy never poos in the same place, rarely! He mostly goes wherever he wants and makes it harder to clean-up. Which I need to do! Now that he's in a smaller paddock for a couple of weeks, I'll be scooping poo a lot more frequently!

Carolynn Anctil said...

All I can say is LOL...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is fixated on my animal's bathroom habits...my problem isn't with the solid matter though. I have an irritation with their urination. Both my cat & my bunny seem to want to hang their precious little derriers over the edge of their litter boxes. I'm getting right p***ed off about it...

Great shots of all your critters and I absolutely adore the last photo. That one's priceless.

Carolynn

Mikey said...

I have surely been educated today, lol. I had NO IDEA about all that stuff. I just scoop it. I try not to give it too much thought, lol.

Will letcha know on the stray horse. I think I'm going to take a bunch of panels out there and see if I can't make a bigger pen and get her in it. THEN we'll see if I can't get hands on her. Gonna be tricky!

white_lilly said...

That was so funny I loved it, great post!. You amaze me with so many nuggets of information! Loved the family photo at the end!

Sue

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Hey Pony Girl,
You are always welcome to come visit here. Bring My Boy!
nd maybe you can sway those Pony Cousins to hold and event in NM, and invite me as an honorary pony cousin. hehe
Well, one good thing about the smaller paddock and all that poo.....less walking with the apple picker and muck bucket! lol :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh my Gosh, Carolynn! Your bunny and kitty are doing what my cat, Oreo has done since he came to live here.
He's a typical male and refuses to squat to pee. I finally had to go out and buy one of those plastic file boxes to use as a deeper litterbox.
I think it's great that your bunny is literbox trained. I used to have several bunnies and all but one was litterbox trained. It was really nice to just let them free range around the house without the pee mess, and most of the poo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Mikey,
Just like your blog, stick around long enough and learn more than you ever thought you would or wanted to. It's all good, though. I promise. :)
I can't wait to catch up on your blog to see how it all pans out with that mare. Good luck!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Awww! Thanks Sue. I'm glad you enjoyed this post. And thanks for visiting and leaving such a nice comment, too. :)


~Lisa

The Wades said...

I'm suddenly feeling VERY hungry! :)