Half-Moon Cheese
Mold Rind Surrounded by Darkness
Bring on Crackers
(I have a wacky sense of humor) lol!
To see amazing skies from around the world, check out Sky Watch Friday!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I've been meaning to share this interesting blog post about 'Falling Down' that was ironically posted, on another blog, on the same day I fell off my horse: Christmas Eve. When I first saw it last month it gave me goosebumps. Check out the post over at Barn Door Tagz.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Finally, many of you have asked for a personal Rapunzle update, so here ya go. I haven't been back to the Dr. yet, so I'm not positive what he will say. My appt is next week, so I'll update you afterwards. But I have been working really hard on my physical therapy exercises at home and at the clinic. I push myself past the pain even when my brain says, 'stop'. It's crazy how the brain must be "rewired" to accept that pain is a good thing.
I'm finally able to sit in a chair and bend my legs so my feet are flat on the ground in front of me. I can't quite tuck my feet underneath the chair yet, but I'm getting there.
I can "walk" with one crutch now. It's an awkward sort of Frankenstein walk and I have to think about each step I take, but at least I finally have one hand free to carry stuff if I want to.
I still take my pain med (Tramadol) every night, or I can't sleep. Mostly it's because my knee is throbbing and all the muscles in my left leg take turns spasming. It gets to the point that just as I fall asleep, a muscle goes into spasm and then I jump awake. No fun.
Apparently it's normal for this to happen as the muscles figure out what they're supposed to be doing again and become tired from all the activity each day. Bananas, for their potassium, and milk, for the calcium, do seem to help, too. But a little help to fall asleep without pain is even better.
I'm a very progress-oriented person, so seeing-is-believing for me. Two weeks ago the doctor measured my flexion and it was only 63 degrees. Ten days later my physical therapist measured my flexion and it was 83 degrees. Yesterday I was measured, and I was thrilled to hear that my flexion is now at 88 degrees. I'm not above 90 degrees yet, but I know I'll get there eventually.
My knee extension needs to be lower, too, which is actually more challenging. My knee cap has to be moved manually as it often gets 'stuck' in one postition. It's kind of creepy.
But I have to believe that the doctor won't suggest a second surgery for anyone who is making progress, albeit slowly. Progress is progress, right?
From the Tower of,

33 comments :
A nice photo for SkyWatch Friday. As one who is always interested in what other people do, and looking for ideas, I think I found some here. I just have to remember it and at my age that is no small feat.
My Skywatch Post
Very nice shot of the moon!
Progress is progress and there is no norm. You have come a long way in a short time and don't you forget it!
What a beautiful moon shot.
I've never had to deal with surgery or an injury like this, but I agree with your statement that "progress is progress". Hopefully your dr sees it that way too!
Oh! Almost forgot... very nice shot of the moon too :)
Cool!
Great shot! :)
Awesome post, thanks for sharing.
Have a great weekend!
Guy
Regina In Pictures
Keep up the good work and great picture.
Dan
LOved the Haiku....
Great news on the knee!
So when you come to visit we can go hiking at the beach!
Lisa, you are just too funny!! Love the Haiku, my thoughts exactly, bring on the crackers! I love cheese!
Glad to hear that you are making progress with your knee, I know what you mean about night pain! When I got kicked in the back 6 weeks ago it was hard to sleep at night without some kind of pain meds. Although not even close to what you are going through, it still hurt but I am better now.
Hang in there cowgirl, you will be better soon! Keep up the good work on the therapy!!
Hugs,
Jane
Way to go! Before you know it you will be flexing 360...is that possible? Probably not good if you could do that!
Wonderful photo and Haiku
Sounds like you are making good progress. I know it is hard but you're doing great.
Your sense of humor makes me smile. The "cheese" photo is fantastic. And glad things are progressing well. Slowly, yes, but well.
beautiful moon photo!
Did you notice you have over 100 followers now?!? Yay!!!!
fantastic moon!
Xo KK
Great to hear of your progress soon you will be doing back flips :)
I always love pictures of the moon even if they look like a slice of cheese:)
Take care
xoxoxo
That's great! Lovin' it....so you bring the crackers cause I've got plenty of "whine" here in Colorado! I can tell you are a homeschooling mom. I learned more teaching my children than I ever learned at school. Now my kids are homeschooling me :-)
You're going to be ready to audition for Cirque du Soleil soon.
yes...you have made tremous progress...DR. Desert Rose!
Cool skywatch, fun haiku, but best of all: your progress!! So happy for you! Bringing your body past pain is tricky, but I remember being so relieved when the doctors told me that that was what I should be doing, because during my waiting in Niger, I wasn't allowed to do anything at all (French Doctor's Orders)!
You are in my prayers. As one who does not tolerate pain well, and who doesn't bounce back from surgery AT ALL, you have my sympathy, for sure. I had bunion surgery 10-12 years ago and was supposed to get the other one done ... nuh-uh. I'll die with one pretty foot and one ugly foot. Yeesh, I can't even fathom people who elect to have surgeries of any kind.
Hang in there, girlie!
I am so glad you are getting better. I had no idea what had happened but I surmised from one of your posts that you were stuck in your tower. Am sending you lots of healing thoughts.
Great moon and haiku!
What an interesting blog. I enjoyed my visit here today! :)
The moon does look like cheese!! LOL!!
And I am glad you are making progrss. The whole leg spasm thing would be aggrivating to try to sleep. Sigh....But I am glad you are doing better!! Pretty soon you will be running around with just a knee brace on, and then.....RIDING!!! Hooray!
I'm so proud of all the work you've done to get where you are! Day by day--each day will get easier.
I was looking back at my old posts---my one year anniversary is coming up, and discovered you were my very first follower. Thanks for hanging in there with me this last year!
What a beautiful shot of the moon, Lisa!!! I was glad to see an update on you, because I feel like I have been gone for so long. I bet your docyor will be surprised at your progress. :)
Keep up the good work, Lisa! You will be back to Letterboxing and horseback riding in no time!!!
PS-That post of Sid Vicious and Mr. Cotton was/is hilarious!! :)
Well done, Rapunzle! I think that's excellent progress and I commend you for being so tenacious and working through the pain. Not an easy thing, that.
Hello Lisa:
So glad to that you are progressing well, it won't be long now! The night spasms are something aren't they! And it always seems the more tired you are the worse they get.
Keep up the good work and get well soon
Great moon! And great news about your knee!
Hang in there Lisa! My friend slipped on her deck,not knowing it was icy and did major damage to her knee. Didn't need surgery, but it took a year to heal. So it sounds like you are on schedule! Love your animals!
Good luck with your recovery. Happy Skywatch Friday. I like your moon and your haiku. Bring on the crackers!
Thanks for the update sweetie!
Hugs,
D.
I don't think I've ever commented how much I enjoy all your Rapunzel pictures.
Post a Comment