Monday, March 9, 2009

My Boy on a Horse

I've got more pictures to share from the other evening while visiting with my friend, Fantastyk Voyager ~aka~Val, ~aka~Fiona, and her 3 horses.

My twinling son, Jax has a thing for horses, too. He is especially fond of Val's almost 27 yr old Arabian mare, Nadia.

Nadia is a sweet, beautiful horse with a heart of gold.
Jax is very gentle and kind with horses, but he is still a beginner, so he sometimes makes mistakes, but Nadia is always a patient and kind teacher.
Before I brought home and rode my own mare, Baby Doll, Val invited me to ride Nadia in the arena and around the trails. Unlike my mare, Nadia doesn't test and challenge all the time and isn't spooky or head-strong. She is as trustworthy and as calm as they come. When I finally get the ok to ride again I think I will accept Val's offer and advice and have my first ride be on Nadia.
Jax feels safe and confidant trotting bareback on Nadia. He had a great time the other night. And Nadia seemed to enjoy herself, too.
It makes me feel a little envious that he has this opportunity to ride horses so freely, while I had to wait until my 40's for this same dream to come true for me. And then just a year later, I end up falling with a serious injury, which puts my dream on hold yet again. Strangely enough, even though I should probably feel a little bitter, it makes me happy to see my son up on a horse having fun. It's as if I'm up there with him. I can almost feel it.
Nadia, thanks for carrying my son safely and making him smile. You are beautiful girl on the outside, and on the inside, too.

And thank you to my dear friend Fiona~aka~Val over at Fantastyk Voyage for letting us share your horses. And for being there to help satiate that horse obsession of mine, too.

Question for my reader friends: Have you ever dreamed that you were riding a horse?

I've been having this dream at least a few times a week. I sometimes even catch myself daydreaming about riding my horse. I see myself stepping up off a mounting block and just sitting on my horse bareback, just as easy as sipping tea. As if my knee isn't damaged at all.
And then I realize that my knee is damaged...and I can't figure out how to get down without hurting myself.

sigh.

From the Tower of,



31 comments :

Leah Fry said...

That's got to be a comfort to know you have such a sweet, reliable horse to get you through that all-important first post-accident ride.

May I suggest talking to your physical therapist about your fears? Sounds like a bit of emotional trauma to me, more than just the average concern. You can't be the first person to have those sorts of feelings.

Anonymous said...

He really looks he is enjoying himself! I'm surprised to see the Arabs being so hairy, it's their winter coat, right?
Val is an amazing person! You're lucky to have such a wonderful friend!

dina said...

Nope - can't say as I've had that dream - but the last time I was on a horse was, oh, gosh, maybe 35 years ago...

BUT - being less than a week out from ankle reconstruction surgery, I can say I have had startling "mini-dreams" (cause I'm not sleeping in big chunks yet - anesthesia does that to me) where I find myself in situations that clearly leave me in a scary position. I.e., I'm to be non-weight bearing for 4 to 6 weeks - but my dream might have me mid-almost doing something that would spell disaster to my healing. EGAD!

I feel your pain, girlfriend!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for coming by and visiting! I'm excited to find someone who loves relatively close by...maybe we can get together to ride sometime! Carmon

Anonymous said...

Lisa, you don't want to have the "horse dreams" I used to have! Thanks a lot for dredging up the memory - I haven't had The Dream in many years. I was always on a horse, riding fast with someone or something chasing me - and the dang horse would split in the middle and I'd fall to the ground! I've never owned a horse, but have ridden several. I think horses are symbolic of freedom to me, thinking mainly of the wild mustangs.

Don't worry - you'll figure out how to get down! Jax will help!

Nancy in Atlanta

Mikey said...

Awww, that's so great! Nadia is a wonderful horse, those older horses are just so precious. They really do take care of people. God Bless em!
You get better soon and we want to see you on a horse, asap!

The Wades said...

Those are the exact horses we want at Galloping Grace--the calmer and sweeter the better! I do, however, think we're done with mares. It's too much drama for us to have them mixed.

Val seems like such an awesome person and friend. I love how relaxed Jax looks up there--no stirrups or anything. You can be a proud mama. :)

Carolynn Anctil said...

I was in my 40's before I started to ride on a regular basis. I admire and envy the young woman that I see at the stable who are so comfortable around horses and can ride so well. It doesn't take any enjoyment from my own experience though.

Interesting dream. How wonderful it must feel. You might find what this link says about Horses as Totem Animals interesting...

http://www.sayahda.com/cyc.html

Carolynn

ezra_pandora said...

That is great!! He looks so natural. Horses like her are priceless. My older one is taking lessons on our old girl, and I give her buckets of treats when they are done because she is so tolerant of him. We are trying to drill into his head to keep his hands off her mouth because his first instinct is ALWAYS to pull back, even when he's trying to turn her, he pulls back instead of to the side. It's horrible. She puts up with it while we are screeching at him.

Your son looks natural :) And what a great friend to offer you her calm horse to get back in the saddle :) You will do great.

You are probably dreaming about horses because your girl is always on your mind and you are so anxious to get back on and go. Try to control your dream and make it so you have the best ride of your life :)

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I admire those who can ride bareback, and good for you for making sure he wears a helmet. I wish I could dream of riding horses. I suspect that when the time comes for you to really ride, you will have some trepidation, but you are strong and wise enough to push past it.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Jax did really good! I was glad he rode Nadia. She needs to get in better shape. Poor thing! She will be 26 in April. She looks so awful with that long hair, and dirty besides! She's pretty easy going though!

allhorsestuff said...

Love your son riding that nice Arabian mare...I love Arabians!I may have mentioned before, Wa has always had a gray horse in her life..till now. Now she has 2 Chestnuts and a Bay.

You have given him such a wonderful thing Lisa! It is such a gift to ride atop a horse. You too soon will be back up! I would be day and full dreaming if I were you as well..totally toally undersatndable with what has gone on..your bodies muscle memory is LONGING for the taste of freedom the horse avails!

Getting off= is my LEAST liked experince of the horse. To this day I dislike it and it just plan hurts my body to do it. A jolt to the system after having the airlike cruise for a time.
I think maybe traing her to stand at the mounting block for mount AND dismount, would be appropriate for a time!
XO
KAC

Bella said...

Yes!
I've had so many dreams like that.
But they're usually kinda bad... or scary...
Once, I was on a medium sized bay gelding, and we were running away.
We got on a SAILBOAT and he drowned.
I fell off the boat... and him.
It was terrifying.

Lydia

Unknown said...

I have dreams too - i don't try to figure them out. I let them comfort me knowing that they connect me to my horses somehow.

I think its a good sign you have them too.

Dan and Betty said...

You have a great neighbor and friend in Val, but I know you know that. Great pictures. I wish I had started riding when I was younger, but better late than never.

Dan

white_lilly said...

Your son does look like he is enjoying himself, you never know he might want a horse further down the track and you both could be trail riding together now that could be something to dream about :)

xoxoxoxo

david mcmahon said...

Much more fun than a cycle, too.

Callie said...

Cool that's he's getting into it! Nice photos, he looks so serious!LOL

Pony Girl said...

What a sweet post! I'm glad your son is able to ride vicariously for you! :) He looks like a natural on Nadia. What a good mare that is! You can tell she is just taking such good care of him. Horses like that are a rare find. I hope My Boy can give my kids (when I have them! :) rides when he is old. But I kind of see him just being cranky, hee hee!
xo

Tammy Vasa said...

Love the name/spelling Jax. I think I caught that he is the same age as my oldest. Its fun to see them take an interest and a horse like Nadia is just the ticket.

I "day dream" of riding, "re-ride" good rides, and dream a lot at night, but I don't recall any riding dreams. By the time I go to sleep, my mind is probably tired of the horse stuff!

I hope you aren't too anxious about your knee once you are given the green light, but don't be surprised if you are. The mind does weird things after an injury. After I broke my ankle, I wasn't as nervous about riding again as I was being on the ground around the horses. Real afraid they would hurt it again. Also would find myself dismounting so that the "bad" ankle didn't have much impact. It is 100% healed & probably stronger than my other one, but I still baby it.

Appreciated your helmet comments on my blog.

Farmer Jen said...

I think horses symbolize freedom. So it's no surprise that you would dream to be riding. You want to be free of your injury and you also want to be close to Baby Doll. So what better thing to dream than you riding your special horse. You will ride again. You will.

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

Man Jax's legs look long! Nadia looks like a fun little ride. Cute pics.
I have crazy dreams period. They are never normal. If I'm riding in a dream I'm usually galloping down a busy highway and jumping road signs!

Grey Horse Matters said...

I think we all dream about riding horses at one time or another. Your knee will heal and you will not only ride but be able to dismount too. Your son looks like he is having fun and that mare is wonderful.
In answer to your question, my knee is doing very well and I expect to ride as soon as this rotten weather clears up and we get the horses started again and the arena cleaned up and dragged. I'll let you know when it finally happens. In the meantime, really work on getting your flexibility back with your exercises, everyday, it really does make a difference.

colleen said...

All the time. It's the only place I can ride. makes me sad sometimes when I wake up and realize it's just a dream...

Desert Rose said...

How lucky you are that you will get to share your passion with your son!!!

Andrea said...

An old trusty horse is worth it's weight in gold. I love my old man I bought for my kids. And I love how Jax loves horses too. I have always wanted one of my kids to share the love of riding with me.

And as far as dreams go....I think about horses all the time. I dream about them, day dream about them, plan how I am going to "ride" them for the week, and then never have time to ride. I imagine how I am going to work my four year old colt. Over poles and around barrels, but then I get to scared to ride him. Then intentions are good. Sigh....

cdncowgirl said...

I love Nadia, she looks like such a sweet horse.

Maybe your dream has something to do with being nervous about that first ride or two??

Amy said...

Kids and horses go together so naturally, before the kid learns to be afraid, tense, etc. There's something to be said for mature horses too. They're so experienced and relaxed.

lytha said...

i thought, "oh no, she's jealous of him!" and then you said HAPPY for him so, whew!: )

i wanted to mention that i'm a dork and didn't see all the helpful comments you posted on my blog until today. Oops! anyway thanks for the help - i was hoping for that kind of helpful feedback (fencing).

gardening you say? yesterday i started basil indoors, and lettuce and beans and some flowers in my geenhouse. the seed packs were expired so we'll see if that matters. oh, and of course, zucchini! i love zucchini so much! the greenhouse is a bit warmer than outoors, and now that i've heard stories of the local wildlife destroying gardens, i'm glad we have this glass house for my veggies!

i love hens and chicks too, funny they are called something similar in german.

every new flower that comes up is a surprise, a delight, cuz i really have no idea what the ground holds, and the old couple who lived there were gardeners.

a few more days!

~lytha

Welcome To Wilmoth Farms said...

How much fun! Its so much fun to watch your little ones enjoy what you love so much isnt it!!! She is a lovely little horse! I've too dreamed of being horseback..wonderful dreams! I'm so happy to have caught up with you finally!

Melanie said...

Lisa-
I love these pictures!!! Jax and Eric would get along great, and they would make a matching pair on their gray Arabs...lol!!!!

Nadia does look quiet. I am hoping that Bo mellows out and can be kid-safe as he ages. I don't know though...When we trail ride, I have to pony him or be ready to grab him at a moments notice...just in case he has one of his out of body experiences. (Bo, not Eric!!!)