Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Egg Cream

 

Several of you who read my Easter Weekend post asked about my Egg Cream (Whispering Acres, Life at the Rough String, C-ing Spots, World of Ezra).

I will never claim any expertise in cooking skills as I’m not all that fond of cooking anyway, except in unique recipes involving exotic spices and lots of chopping and prep work. Unfortunately, my family doesn’t appreciate creative meals, preferring instead simple meals, involving meat and a veggie very minimally seasoned, or chicken nuggets (sigh).

Realistically, my blog will never be a cooking inspiring blog, as you can see from my previous 'recipe posts'. Ironically, the best recipes I shared were the two I tried from Pioneer Woman's blog. Especially the to-die-for Onion Strings. I’m salivating now just remembering them. Mmmm!

And there was my Egg Bread, which was well received, and my Fried Oreos, which got mixed reviews (they really do taste like Devil Dogs. yum!).

But seriously folks, I will never be known for my cooking skills so please invite me for dinner, ok?, but I am glad to share with you one of my most favorite recipes.

Pure comfort food: Egg Cream.

The most important ingredients are farm fresh, organic eggs (dyed Easter eggs work great!). (Recipe to follow)

First you make your simple white sauce and bring to a gentle boil.  IMG_3254 

 Then you add about 2 cups of chopped boiled egg.

IMG_3257

 

Toast your bread. Notice the crispy piece below. The toaster was set on 3. If that’s what happened at 3, can you imagine what would happen if the setting had been 6? Why is there a 6 anyway? Do some people really like their toast burned black?                                                                                            IMG_3258  

Well since I don’t like flame-roasted bread, I gave that one to the chickens and started over again.

IMG_3259

Final step is pouring the Egg Cream over your toast. Sprinkle a few spoonfuls of chopped egg over the top.

IMG_3260

You can also add some shredded cheese over the top, too. but I’m one of those weird cheese haters, so you won’t see cheese on mine Enjoy!

Egg Cream

  • 2-3 Tablespoons butter or margarine
  • 2 Tablespoons cornstarch or flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • dash pepper
  • 2 Cups milk
  • 6-10 boiled fresh eggs, chopped                                  

In a small saucepan, add milk and cornstarch, stirring until combined. Add butter, salt and pepper. Stir until sauce is thick and bubbly. Add chopped fresh eggs. Cook and stir about 2-3 minutes, until blended. Pour on toast or bisquits. Serves 3-4 




From the Tower of,


31 comments :

Melanie said...

You can't cook??? Seriously??? You always talk about the good stuff that you make!!! :) These eggs look absolutely fabulous (and quick and easy!!), and I think that I may try them for dinner tomorrow night. Thanks!!!

StefRobrts said...

We had something called 'egg cream' for Easter brunch, but it was some sort of egg custard dessert. I've never seen egg cream like you're talking about, but I think I'm going to give it a try! Yum!

Yellow Jacket Ridge Angoras said...

You are only the second person I know who has made that. There is a 70+ year old man I worked with and that was one of their favorite dinners. He always talked about it. Now I'm going to have to make that. Have you had shit on a shingle? Instead of the eggs add shredded dry beef that comes in a jar (located near the pickled pigs feet and canned chicken in your local grocer). It's yummy.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

...But tell me about your guinea pig spoon holder. I really got the giggles when I saw that. I didn't even know that such things existed. I'm always struggling to figure out where to set my stirring spoon down. With my luck, I'll set it on a part of the counter that has salmonella or ecol-i growing on it.

Yellow Jacket Ridge Angoras said...

By the way...my favorite thing is toast (and I can cook and love to cook). You made me hungry for a piece before bed. I also love it burnt....so my toaster is on 10. I always knew I was a chicken.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Hey Mellie,
I didn't say, I CAN'T cook, I just don't have any passion for it. I like the creative part of cooking, which is why I enjoy making East Indian, Thai, and Mexican. I also enjoy Vegetarian recipes...anything with lot of layers of flavors and color...and variety. Foods that just pop in your mouth and require lots of prep work and detailed cooking to make.
My family doesn't care for those foods much, so it's a waste of time making them as I'm usually the only one to eat them.
But the food they prefer bores me and then my ADHD kicks in and I wander off...which causes the food to burn or not be cooked properly. lol!
Which is why I really like this recipe. It cooks up fast, is simple to make, my family likes it, and it makes me happy eating it.

Hi Stef, Mmmm. Egg custard! Try the eggcream and let me know what you think.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Hey Yellow Jacket,
SOS, eh? Sounds yummy! I love beef jerkey...and I bet it would taste great in this recipe. Crumbed bacon would also taste good in it, too.
Funny about the 70 yr old man making this recipe, because this recipe goes back a long way in my family, too. My stepmother made it for me as a child and her mother made it for her...and so on.
It's such a filling, healthy, decadent, comfort food....for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Aaahhh, so you're one of those burnt toast maniacs, eh? lol! Next time I'll send you my blackened bread, my friend! hehe

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Hey NuzMuz,

I was given that cute piggie spoon rest from my friend, June over at http://www.risingsunearthworks.com/a couple years ago. It makes me giggle seeing it, too. :)

Check her out and tell her Hello from me. You can find her piggy items in her Gallery page. She used to live in New Mexico but moved to Rhode Island. June used to breed, raise and show guinea pigs. Now she focuses on her gorgeous pottery. She's a sweetie.

Wheek!! Wheek!!

~Lisa

GreyWolf said...

I can't wait to try your egg cream. It sounds delish.

cdncowgirl said...

Oooh that looks good! I'll have to give it a try :)

And yes some people DO like their toast "flame roasted".
Relavant story,I'll try to keep this quick:
My very 1st job was a hostess at A&W. We had a LOT of seniors in the mornings and one particular couple liked dry brown toast VERY well done. Basically we slowed the toaster until it barely moved and the toast almost caught fire.
For them that was perfect.

cdncowgirl said...

ps - I would have given the really dark toast to the chickens too :)

cdncowgirl said...

Just thought I'd mention it... your playlist has "How You Remind Me" as being by Creed and its actually by Nickelback.
Another thing we have in common, I could steal most of your playlist! lol

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

That's weird, L, that they've got the wrong band name on that song. I didn't even notice. I just clicked on the song that I recognized and it loaded into my player.

Yep, we've got good taste, you and I :)

~Lisa

Unknown said...

Here in Thailand, most of the food is local including the eggs, so they are always fresh. If I remember correctly, you make a really great Sassafras Tea! LOL This recipe looks great, can it be refrigerated and rewarmed later? I'm thinking for before school breakfasts.
Say hi to the kids, Katie keeps up with the blogs too!
Debi

Fantastyk Voyager said...

I've never tried it with boiled eggs but sometimes I make a chipped beef kind of dish. White gravy with crumbled ground beef or sausage and then mix in scrambled eggs. This is served over biscuits or toast. Yummy!
Yes, I guess it's like SOS but I like to add the egg to it.

Erin said...

you are too funny...this looks good actually :) we do like eggs.
our door is always open here in virginia should you stop by. hubby is a great cook and i have been known to create some lively fare as well :)
hugs

Girl Tornado said...

Sounds like some honest-to-goodness down home cookin' here! I'll have to give it a try. (and the onion strings too!)

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

Never tried egg cream, never really heard of it before. Thx.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Lisa - Thanks for the referral to June. Now I know what to get people for their birthdays, and of course, I want some for myself. I sent June an email and let her know you sent me to her. Thweep! Cooooo!

Claire MW said...

Thanks for sharing that! It looks great and it looks like something easy that I can do when I have limited time and too many eggs! Excellent! I am a cheese freak - everything needs cheese on it, so mine will be very cheesy. I bet I could add some corn kernels to it as well and make it like a sort of bizarre pasta sauce. Oh, lots of potential there! Thank you!

Unknown said...

Awww man you did it again! 8:00 in the morning - Stephanie is prowling the office for snacks....

Sounds good though - my Easter favorite is Goldenrod Eggs! Yummy!

Tammy Vasa said...

The Pioneer Woman changed my life with cooking. Just wish I haven't been dieting for over a year! Anytime I tell the family it is a PW recipe, they are SOOO excited! Your egg recipe looks good, too. Will have to try it.

I meant to comment on your comment on my blog about fear and over analyzing things - especially with regards to riding again, specifically Baby Doll (wow, was that really a whole sentence)?? Anyway, I can so understand your concerns (fears, worries) after being hurt. Take your time. I think you will find that coming home feeling once you are ready. But do take it slow.

I think fear keeps us safe when its realistic. But I try to tell myself not to let it become unrealistic & I struggle with that. When I finally went out and rode the other night & had a good ride, I had really had to syke (sp) myself out for it. I'm nervous again today because I'm riding with a group tonight... hoping all goes okay and keeps me out of the dark side.

When you get the okay to ride again, call in all of us chickens for support! We'll be right by your side "cyberly".

Michelle said...

Ah, this is our "creamed eggs over toasted"! I often add a touch of coriander or curry for added flavor, and we also like it with the additional of baby peas.

ezra_pandora said...

Now that looks like something interesting and not too difficult that maybe even I too can make. Hey, if you are anything like me, ALL of the meals I cook look exotic and no one wants to eat them. lol Even macaroni and cheese. My hubby usually has to make everything or no one eats!! Thanks for posting that. I'm all about trying new things. Usually once, but still. lol

jane augenstein said...

I make something similar called creamed eggs on toast. Make a white sauce, salt and pepper, chopped hard boiled eggs serve over toast. love it! Had that as a kid and still love it, comfort food? yum!
Jane and Gilly

Dan and Betty said...

Sounds good. Thanks for sharing.

Dan

C-ingspots said...

Yummy! It does sound good. Thanks, I'll definitely give it a try. I make something similar to this as well. My hubby calls it SOS. Cream of mushroom soup with milk added, a can of solid white tuna, drained, a TBS of butter, salt, pepper and some frozen peas. Heat well and serve over warm biscuits or toast. Now, I'm getting hungry and I'm thinking about sausage and milk gravy on bisquits!! Ooh, I'm going to try your Egg Cream. If it's comfort food and simple to prepare, I'm all over it!!

Gail said...

Since we do have a few eggs laying around, I will try this. Thanks.

Andrea said...

Oh, we used to eat these almost every morning when we would visit my Grandma!! I love them. We called them Cream Eggs on Toast. Fancy that!! LOL Yum Yum

allhorsestuff said...

Okay...slobber on the keuboard-times two now...
Just as I discovered that my favorite skirt did NOT fit today and I must do something positive about it!
I have a fav comfort food and it is totally similar...you may think not though...it is the home baked bread, out of my bread maker, with a white sauce smothering egg and tuna mixed with chopped pickle and spices(Ginger, yellow curry)
Gotta get me some now!

but maybe I should hav what the word veri suggests....a simple-
weani

The Wades said...

I'm sure that's delicious. I'll have to try it one of these mornings. I'm all about runny egg yolk on my toast--is it similar?