Harvey is a 2,600lb handsome, gentle bison. You can read more about him and the first Harvey Wallbanger HERE.
Getting to see Harvey and meet T.C Thorstenson, his owner/trainer has been a small dream of mine. So I was very excited to discover that they were going to be in my neighborhood, less than 10 mins from my house.
I was thrilled to be able to get so close to this mighty bison and speak personally with TC Thorstenson as we walked together toward the show arena.
His breath smelled a lot like my mare’s…..sweet hay breath.
Then the show began. TC showed everyone how he side passes with Harvey.
And how he is able to get a 2,600lb behomoth to back up quicker than my own 1,100lb mare will do for me.
TC shared a playful moment showing how a tame bison could be used to keep a man warm during a bitter cold Wyoming snow storm.
They tried to light this hoop on fire, but the wind wouldn’t cooperate and kept blowing it out. So Harvey and TC jumped through it when it was just partially lit, which was still very impressive.
At one time bison roamed from Canada to Mexico and numbered approximately 60 million. But in the late 1800’s, bison were on their way to extinction. Since then, the public has realized what an important part of American history the bison are. And ranchers and breeders have recognized the obvious economic potential of bison, and have expanded their efforts to preserve, protect and reestablish the American Bison.
The National Bison Association estimates approx. 150,000 buffalo in public and private herds currently in the United States. Of these animals the federal government manages approx. 6,000 and tribal authorities at least 5,000. A small number of buffalo are managed by city and state governments but 90% are owned and managed by private entrepreneurs. The largest public herd (approx. 4,500) is in Yellowstone National Park, and the three largest private herds are owned by the Houck family of Pierre, SD, Turner Enterprises and Durham Ranches, Inc.
Pretty amazing, eh? I remember reading somewhere a while back how ironic it would have been, if instead of choosing to ride horses and herd cattle, we would have chosen to ride cattle and herd horses.
Seems silly, I know, but when you meet an intelligent, strong, fast, and powereful animal like a bison, it actually makes sense. Did you know that TC trained the first Harvey Wallbanger to do team roping events as a Heeler? And he was good at it, even outshining the horse-riding cowboys.
And TC also raced his first Harvey Wallbanger….yes, against horses. His bison easily won by two and half lengths! And his total record of winning was 76 out of 92 races all across North America!
Makes me wonder why we didn’t domesticate bison before horses. Probably because horses are prettier, easier to mount, and fit a saddle to. haha!
TC also enjoys mounted shooting off of his ginormous bison.
And TC can get his big friend ready for bed and tuck him in at the end of the day, too.
At the end of the show, TC invited us to come over and give Harvey some scratches and have our photos taken.
Harvey was so calm, gentle and soft. What a sweetie. And what an immense honor. wow.
From the Tower of,
29 comments :
He's actually daintier than I had imagined. lol. I like Bison better than cows. Is Harvey Jr. related to Harvey Sr. or just the second bison he trained?
Didn't you feel guilty for wearing that buffalo hide coat?
Wow, cool. I seen people ride steers and moose but never bison.
Wow, cool. I seen people ride steers and moose but never bison.
That is pretty darn cool. I had the two grandsons here with me to watch..they were very entertained. Thanks again.
You know, I think you are going to have to give up your Rapunzle handle - you get out more than anyone I know!
That was so cool, I'm contemplating showing this to my husband because I think he'd rather ride a bison. How do horses react around him I wonder...
On MY! And people laughed at me when I said I wanted to teach one of my cows to ride! HA you showed them! That was really really awesome! I hopes he comes our way one day, I'll make a point to go!!!
Great Pics as usual!
Very cool Lisa! What a beautiful and smart animal.
Wow this is cool! I have actually thought the same thing as you too. But I always wanted to ride a cow! LOL Neat post! Love the pictures!
Breathe's comment made me smile--she is so right! As I was reading this I thought you could make big bucks writing out your itinerary of fun ideas for any given week! Wow!
Amazingly interesting post. I love Harvey already.
I didn't realize how trainable a Bison can be! I just found out recently that they can be ridden.
That must have been so cool to see!
But I don't see that it can be too comfortable to ride one!
Breathe is right! But I still describe you to my husband as Rapunzle so he knows which blogger I'm talking about.
So, you met the gin blossoms and now the bison rider....hm.
That's it. I'm dying my hair blond.
~lytha
Fantastic, I wish we could get neat shows like that around here. I think people think of New York as the city and don't realize that there is alot of just plain country folk like anywhere else. Great video also. I loved the one with him putting harvey to bed. Cool!!
You my girl have too much fun. I feel a little like Rapunzel. I never go anywhere except the grocery store. I have got to get out more.
Thanks again for a fun and informative post. I look forward to the next one.
geesh...some fab info about the bison and your photographs are awesome. great post lisa.
harvey is a beautiful beastie ^..^
How sweet. Every time that I see unlikely animals doing amazing tricks I wonder how long it took to train them.
Hi Lisa,
I have an Honest Scrap Award for you at my blog if you wish to participate!? I'm sure you already have done a bunch! Luanne
How very cool!
Mr Tim (that we've bought our last 2 horses from) used to ride his long horn bull. He said it was always funny when he was out riding TJ in the ditch and people drove by... he always got that 'double take' look.
HWjr is awesome but I'll stick with riding horses! lol
You just find the coolest stuff, don't you? Amazing! I love Harvey!
Fantastic photos! Really interesting! What a great event that must have been!
That sounds like a great time! Bison are cool.
Super pictures. I'm sorry now I didn't go to End of the Trail this year. Hopefully, he'll come back next year.
Thanks for sharing.
Dan
Just amazing. Who woulda thunk it? And I guess I'm glad we ride horses instead of cattle or bison. Um, yeah, they are prettier. :)
Wow! So cool! I would love to ride an animal that big, It'd feel so high up! I love heights when I feel secure. =)
His expression is SO FUNNY in the backing up picture!!! Nice pics, by the way.
Lydia
Lisa.. I was just waiting to see you on that Bison, like the camel!!I was glad you decided to wait til your knew gets better!!!!
Love at the pictures you are getting with your new camera :)
I didn't have much time yesterday! This is so funny, my favorite pic is the playful moment! I really didn't know they could be tamed! Luanne
Wow, what a great blog! I learned a lot from that! I would LOVE to try spinning some of his fiber, just to see how it would turn out. Looks like you had such a great time!
I had to show this one to my kidlets, and Eric now wants to ride a buffalo. It does make you wonder why we chose to ride horses instead of cattle/bovines, doesn't it? LOL!!!
What a beautiful, cuddly, gentle giant. No wonder you were so keen to meet him.
Trick ropers and trick horses...now trick buffalo...you get it all down there!!! What a good time!
Post a Comment