It seemed only appropriate, after the craziness I’ve been dealing with in Blogland recently, that we had this visitor on our front porch last night. (By the way, Is the moon full? Is the earth’s gravitational pull causing havoc on the human population?)
Some of my readers may have noticed that I recently removed the option to comment on my blog and maybe even wondered why, or not. Some of you may have even noticed my Dream Catcher Avatar over on my sidebar, or not. Some may even be familiar with the Native American Dream Catcher legend and have an idea why I added it there. It may even seem cheesy to some, but that’s ok. I like it, and that’s all that matters.
If you plan to keep reading, you might want to grab some refreshments and visit the bathroom first. This one’s gonna be long.
I don’t blog, or at least I didn’t start blogging, as a way to build up readership, or as a popularity contest. I may have let myself get carried away with it for a little while because it was fun, and Blogger seems to encourage that. But really what is a blog? It’s many different things to all the people who choose to blog, but our little bloggy web homes belong to none of us, and in a single blip could all disappear. I began blogging as a way to journal about me and my family’s daily lives and to spark my creative side. And sharing that with far-away friends and family was a nice benefit, too.
When people started commenting on my blog posts, it was a little strange but oddly exciting, eventually leading toward Comment Addiction. Kind of like feeding the monster. It never seems satisfied and wants more. Then there are those Follower gadgets to attract even more readers and potential comments. It’s a crazy cycle. And it seems rather impersonal when you sit back and think about it.
I mean, how can anyone 'Follow' a hundred or more blogs on a regular basis anyway? I can't and I don't think it's fair to other bloggers if I just stick my photo on their Followers gadget just to get them to sign up for mine. I’ve been spreading myself too thin for a long time anyway. I have 3 children whom I homeschool, a husband, a small ranch with lots of animals to care for, a house that requires cleaning and maintenance sometimes, a bum knee, friends and family that like to see me outside having fun, and I have loads of other interests and hobbies.
I found it fascinating when one of my readers commented not long ago and asked why I don’t spin or knit anymore. Well I do! Just because I don’t blog about it doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen! hah!
Our blogs are not our entire lives. They are just a small facet, a small window, a tiny peek, if you will, into our lives. Not the whole enchilada!
And then there are some bloggers who believe that someone’s personal blog is an appropriate place to debate and argue over that blogger’s words, or to force their opinions and agendas. Not cool. There are some blogs that welcome that, like maybe Fugly, but most bloggers with personal blogs don’t appreciate that type of criticism.
I know I don’t. And as another one of my readers told me the other day after leaving me a rather snarky, opinionated comment, I have thin-skin and am too sensitive. I agree whole-heartedly. I consider myself a kind-hearted, gentle, thoughtful person who can easily get their feelings hurt. I’m not ashamed of that and I don’t think it’s a terrible trait to have. What I am ashamed of is that I let mean people and their actions upset me.
Shoooeeee, I’m 43 this year. I’m not in high school anymore, where the big mean bullies have any control over me. Even though Blogland can feel a little bit like that at times.
I bet I will step on some toes when I say this, but I’m going to say it anyway. I’m blogging for me.
There I said it.
I’m not blogging to garner followers or to become popular. All of that is just silly. Really! If other bloggers stop by to visit and enjoy what I write or the photos I post that’s great and I’m glad. When they leave comments, that’s just the icing on the cake.
But the snarkiness, rudeness, and just plain mean-spiritedness makes the icing taste, like what I imagine chicken shit tastes like. Not good, and entirely unpleasant. Actually just down-right awful.
When a blogger spends an hour uploading photos, videos and gathering their thoughts to type it all out in a blog post, and they don’t receive positive, uplifting comments, it can be very disappointing. And for a photographer to share their little pride & joys showcasing the time spent behind the camera, perched in often uncomfortable locations and positions just to capture a creative and beautiful photo, only to have people not notice or even appreciate those photos, is quite a sad moment.
I recently had a blogger leave a nit-picky comment on a blog post that showcased my friend’s adorable, beautiful spunky little foal. She complained about people who didn’t give their foals ‘real’ registered names that could be used, and instead gave their horses barn names that were different then their registered names. Did she temper that comment with something gushing and positive about the precious little foal or even my photography? nah.
And another blogger commented on a post recently that took me hours to organize and prepare after taking umpteen photos watching for the perfect action shots. Did she say, wow! Great photos? Or, how the horses looked beautiful in action? nah.
What she did say, was “Is it just me, or does everyone else see the train-wreck about to happen?”
Nice.
I left one of my rare replies and stated that all activities surrounding 1000lb animals have the potential for danger.
And this is how Miss Katharine Swan replied,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Laughing Orca Ranch said: “Life can be dangerous, though. Should we just sit around covered in bubble wrap, knitting socks in a closet?
Or should we take a few risks and grab life by the horns and be free while enjoying life? “
Does that mean you've given up being scared of Baby Doll, and have decided to keep her?
:::evil grin:::
Of course many things in life are dangerous, particularly anything involving a horse, but there are certain degrees of danger. I'm much less likely to be badly injured pleasure riding than being on the field with 5 other 1,000 pound animals trying to go all different directions and with airborne sticks and balls.
Nothing is foolproof when dealing with a horse, obviously, but to me comparing casual horseback riding with something like this is like comparing target practice at a firing range and Russian roulette.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And when I decided not to approve that comment, since I’ve unfortunately felt it necessary to now have my comments moderated, Miss Katharine Swan tried to post another comment,
“ Katharine Swan has left a new comment on your post "Polocrosse~Horses and Lacrosse":
Lisa, I see you didn't approve my last comment, so I guess you didn't like what I had to say. I'm sorry, but I find it inconsistent and kind of hypocritical that you would lecture your readers about anything horse-related being dangerous, when you are selling your mare -- and thereby failing to take care of her -- because you are scared of her. Where's your sentiments about not bubblewrapping ourselves in that particular choice?
I'm not sure why you've suddenly turned into a comment Nazi. Your blog was never like that before. You were always very open and welcoming, yet suddenly you are unwilling to hear viewpoints that are different than yours. I think it's too bad, because your blog used to be a site I enjoyed visiting, but that appears to be changing. What's the point of visiting a blog if it's a one-sided conversation?”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wow. That stings.
Hmmm. Well I suppose I missed the official Blogger Protocol Memo that said that every blog must be a platform for readers to debate everything posted. If I would have known…..well I never would have started blogging, quite honestly.
If I thought that my blog was supposed to be open for flaming, rude, nitpicking, snarky comments, like Fugly’s, then I would have ran fast in the opposite direction.
Who’d a thunk?
I’ve been blogging for over three years, and last year I had my first negative blog experience, which was really just an unfortunate misunderstanding with a fellow blogger friend, and sadly it didn’t turn out so well, but she did teach me one thing, and that was that it’s ok to avoid people that make you unhappy, stressed, and that cause unwanted drama in your life. And I thank her for that inadvertent lesson. And I thank Blogger for giving us many options on our blogs. And one of those options involves comments, whether allowing them, or moderating them.
I made the decision to not allow any comments on my blog yesterday, and then changed it back to allowing moderated comments just for today’s Sunday Stills, because I figured, like me, most Sunday Stills bloggers like to stop in and say a few nice words about how we follow through with Ed’s challenges each week.
I was even feeling a little guilty when my sweet buddy Michelle over at Galloping Grace Youth Ranch left a comment saying that she was disappointed that she wasn’t allowed to leave her friendly comments, full of praise, on any of my past blog posts. So, I even went back and changed that, just because I do try to be nice and accommodating.
But after Miss Swan’s oh-so-lovely comments for me, I regretted that decision greatly.
And so, I’m thinking of going back to my original decision of not permitting ANY comments, except for the photo challenges. Although I do enjoy all the friendly words left for me, the mean-spirited comments hurt me too much and I’d rather not have to deal with them when moderating comments. I’ll try the moderating thing again even though it’s a chore, and it makes one person call me a ‘Comment Nazi’. (wow)
But seriously, why should we approve a mean-spirited, flaming, snarky comment? Just so the person can rejoice in seeing their words out there in all of their argumentative glory? What’s the point?
I’m not interested in providing a debate forum or a place to argue.
And it’s quite frustrating that some people feel so obligated to read my blog and then feel it necessary to leave rudely opinionated comments. It’s a free world, this Blog place, people! You don’t have to visit any blog, nor do you have to leave a comment!
In that same vein, I’ve also decided that I don't want anyone to feel obligated to come over to my blog and leave me a comment, just because I leave one on your blog. My thoughts on commenting are this: I'm dropping off a meal or treat(a comment) to you, just to be nice and sociable. I'm going to leave it (the comment)for you in a disposable dish, so that you don't have to wash and return it(the comment) to me. It's my gift from the heart, without any obligations.
I'm still planning on visiting my favorite blogger buddies (if you’ll have me) but I plan to pare down to just the blogs that make me happy, are interesting and have become more than just a 'Follower'. You all know who you are. *smile*
And with that long, drawn-out, tirade, I will now share with you Mr. Bull Snake’s own Hissy Fit.
(Turn off my playlist music at the bottom, and then turn up your volume. He gets really loud!)
(Oh. And no harm came to Mr. Bull Snake while on our porch. He hung around for another hour or two acting as Guard Snake.......keeping pesky sales people, political campaigners and Hare Krishnas from knocking on our door. He was kind of cool, even though he was grouchy. It was a thrill seeing such a beautiful snake up close)
From the Tower of,

(Think before commenting. Are you sure you want to post that?)
58 comments :
oh my gosh...i sort of figured that something of that ntaure happened and i am sorry that you had to experience it my e-friend, very sorry.
take care and many hugs ((()))
I like that people read my blog because it keeps me writing for an audience rather than abandoning the pursuit. But 10 followers is just fine by me -- your comments get kind of crazy.
I'll keep reading, regardless. Hopefully you will tell us more about the snaky fellow on your doorstep.
Lisa, it's YOUR blog that you write for your own reasons. Please remember that, and please keep doing it. Please don't let a few negative readers/comments stop you.
I like you and your blog. I've frequently shared your stories and experiences with my non-blogging friends and family. If someone doesn't like your blog posts or comment mods, or whatever, then they are free to stop visiting your blog and go read and comment someplace else.
You can do whatever you want with your blog. You don't have to approve comments that you don't like. I wouldn't. You can also easily delete comments after they are posted if you don't use comment moderation.
I hope someday when I get out to your area of NM again, that maybe we can meet up for lunch or coffee or something. That would be so cool!
I get the over comment thing, I don't put up ant linky things on my blog, like you I have a few blogs I diehard follow like yours. I find it and your pics inspirational, I'm inpressed you homeschool, I wish we had that option when I was at that age. Anyway I used your sugesstion for the next Sunday Stills Challenge, Thanks much...:-)
Great shots of the Bull snake!
Later..Ed
Having been around the internet world for 10 years now and moderating one of the biggest web creation sites on the internet I know exactly the horrid extent flaming and fighting on the internet can be.
I wrote a post on my blog a bit ago on nettequite if you read it(?) If you want to post it here on your blog, you are more than welcome to because I really think more people should read the unspoken rules of th internet.
What a gorgeous snake. We don't have any of them around here. We do have fox snakes, which are not poisonous but are very vicious if they feel the littlest bit trapped.
I hope people don't leave any more snarky or rude comments. Hang in there.
oh btw, great #1 song on your playlist, one of my favorites!
Lisa, I LOVE your blog, your pictures, all your wonderful funny critters, your kids are gorgeous! Keep up the blogging just delete the unkind remarks and shame on those who make them!!!!
It's your blog do what you want, love the dream catcher!!! :-)
hugs to you!!!!
~Jane and Gilly~
Way to go. It's your life and I appreciate you sharing with us. I love to comment, but I fully understand if you choose not to on a permanent or occasional basis.
At first glance I thought that was a poisonous snake until I could see its head. Beautiful animal, but feel free to keep him on your side of the mountain.
We saw one small garter snake in our front and that's the only snake we've seen in five years and that's fine with me.
Dan
I'm so sorry you got flamed by rude people. I hope you'll stick around, as I do enjoy reading about your adventures. It's always a joy when you stop by.
Lately I've noticed that many bloggers I follow seem to be posting more and commenting less. It makes me think of the theme from "Midnight Cowboy," "Everybody's talking at me, don't hear a word I'm saying." You have to blog for yourself, or the blogosphere turns into high school, where we base our worth on what other people say. It can be clique-ish. I don't have anywhere near the followers or people commenting that you do. Maybe we're all just a bunch of self-deluding narcissists.
Sorry, I'm rambling. No bad karma here!
Well I, for one, am glad I can comment. I've been out of touch for a LONG time,and I came back to the BEAUTIFUL close-up pictures of your horses and couldn't leave a comment. I know I could e-mail, but didn't have time to look for that..
I respect your decisions, and I don't know who people thing they are making mean comments. It is not as if you are making inflammatory political statements (well, not usually anyway--(smiling)). But EVEN THEN... the majority of the blogs I read to not agree with me politically. Sometimes they make snarky, inflammatory statements on their blogs that make my blood boild. But I don't leave them nasty comments. I don't leave them any. And I'm still they're "friends." I can appreciate their other qualities that I love and get on with my life and know that we'll never agree about politics. Your blog is nothing like that. Personal attacks are in poor taste. I haven't visited the blogs of those mentioned, but I have to wonder what gives said people so much knowledge and authority about your life.
And for your blog, if I'm quiet, it's probably because I'm busy and doing things besides blogging and reading blogs. And if you said something that really bothered me, I would just come back for the next one and not worry about the one I didn't like. Life is too short for those kinds of disagreements. People have small lives if they have to make personal attacks on others.
Honey I couldn't of said it better myself. I fully understand your feelings about the posting and I will still be here checking out your blog whether you allow posts or not. Know that I will be here thinking happy and positive thoughts for you and yours.
I too try to post only for myself. It gives me a way of feeling involved in the world being that I am slightly isolated in my little corner of NC.
My thoughts (good happy ones!) are with you and your family. Love ya Lisa.
Oh BTW I did see that snake, but as they creep me out I wasn't looking too closely...hehe
Miss Lisa, my "snappy" (get it? hehe) pal, I have but one thing to say here:
YOU!!!
GO!!!
GIRL!!!!!
Hugs to ya. Chin up. And Do What Ya Gotta Do, Baby! ;)
PS- Dude- that is SOME snake!!!! Great shots of him too. Do you have many of those out there??
I'm sorry you've had some run in's with bad commenters. I agree, you shouldn't feel compelled to do anything you don't enjoy, and I understand moderating comments is not enjoyable. The things she said were out of line. I have been a moderator on a large forum community for years, and I am constantly amazed by the things people will say when they think they are hiding behind the keyboard.
I really enjoy your blog, and i love your photography, as that is one of my hobbies too. We all learn so much from sharing photos. My blog is also my journal, and if comments interfered with the enjoyment of posting thoughts and pictures, I would turn them off too. So do whatever makes you happy, and keep posting!
I'm sorry this has gotten you so down. Just blog for yourself and only share if you like. You have to ignore the negatives in life because it'll just bring you down. Trust me, I know!
Wanna feel better? Go visit Yalla! She'll lick your hand and give you baby horse kisses!
That's a beautiful snake! It's a great one to have on your porch because it'll keep away rattlesnakes, if there are any.
The word of the day is 'triendra' sounds like a real word!
What great snake pictures, Lisa!
I agree with all you stated here. I let blogging take up more of my time than I should sometimes, but on the other hand, it has helped out so much with our nest box business, just when we needed it the most.
Thanks for posting the picture of the nest box and giveaway.
Have a great day.
Pam
I swear everyone is trying to give me a heart attack! Snake! One of my worst fears! But I am ok! I will live to see another day. Even thought snakes are one of my most feared creatures, I think your pictures are amazing, and thanks for the hissing video!
I am so sorry you have a person/s leaving rude comments on your blog. I don't understand their intentions. People like that don't deserve to be heard, they shouldn't even be allowed to comment. Why people think they can go around, and be so insensitive is beyond me, but I do think they do not like themselves very much, if they have to inflict pain on others. Shame on them.
For me, I come to visit your blog, because I think you are an amazing person, have an amazing family, and take amazing pictures. I love your stories, I love your animals, I love it all. You always brighten up my day, when I am not in the best of spirits, or even when I am!
I love getting your comments on my blog, you always make me laugh, and you cheer me up. I look forward to getting them.
You need to do what is best for you, and what makes you most comfortable. However, I will be coming to see you every time you post, because I love your blog, what you post about, and you and your family are absolutely amazing people!
Lisa....it does not matter if you allow comments or not...I still enjoy visiting your blog...sometimes I leave a comment....if time is limited, I stop, read and go....But I love your blog...you are the sweetest thing....do what you have to do for you....I for one, will still show up!!
Yikes - snake! I'd have to move if that was at my doorstep! I am deathly afraid.
I've blogged for several years before I really knew I was blogging. Just recently moved it from my website to blogger because it's easier to manage. I have a chat group to talk horse -- the blog just lets me fill in the detail - give the longer version for those interested. I hardly get comments from the locals as they are on our yahoo group but enjoy when other riders tune in. I don't know if they find what I write interesting or just a horse nut like I am.
I found your blog thru another blog. It interested me because it was horse related. You had just gotten injured and facing some fear issues w/regards to your horse. I could relate to that. I also appreciated your colorful photos - being a photo junkee myself. But all that aside, you write well and I enjoy reading your blog.
Negative comments hurt. No doubt about it. But I hope you continue to do what you do for those of us who enjoy it for what it is. Just a slice of your life to share....
tv
Looked like a rattler until I looked at its tail LOL really red in color! I seen a bullsnake once when we were rafting the Dechutes River in Oregon, Big snake! as big or bigger around than my arm! and over 4 feet long! The only reason we new it wasnt a rattler is because of the tail, still gave us a fright, we dont have any thing but Gartner snakes here in western Washington.
I enjoy your blog and will keep reading, as long as you write!
Oh I forgot, at least with Mr Bullsnake around, he will keep the rattlers away!!
If I saw that snake on my front porch I wouldn't have stayed around to take pictures! I have a very distant relationship with snakes.
Anyway, I have no idea what's going on with the blog and comments because I've been really busy lately and don't get around much anymore. I'm sorry to hear you're getting rid of Baby Doll, but if you feel that's the right decision for you at this time, I hope you find her a good loving home.
As for snarky comments I've only gotten them from one person all this time and I printed them and answered back.
The whole thing with blogs is it's yours to do what you want with it, so go ahead and have fun.
I'm so sorry you had to deal with negative comments. I love being able to comment on your blog but understand completely if you choose not to allow comments. Your blog is one of the few that I truly enjoy reading and following. I love your photography and roadtrips. You take me places I will never get to experience other than on your blog. Thank you for sharing your honesty and feelings about BabyDoll. Thank you for sharing your blog.
Well, So sorry to hear of your troubles LIsa.
Its your blog my sister, do what you want, THATS the rules.
I love your blog and look forward to many more time I can comment and tell you have fab I think u are!
word verif: fining..
Lambs wool is fining and soft..
Sorry to see that people are being so nasty! It is really a shame that someone who leaves as great comments as you do (you've got it down to an art imo - I look for your comments on SS almost as much as the pictures ;) ) has to have this problem. You don't exactly seem to have the type of controversial blog that would lend itself to generating nasty comments.
I've gone to comment moderation this week too, (almost stopped blogging, but my husband convinced me to change my mind for now) but my blog problem came from relatives so that's a whole different can of worms (or in this case snakes.)
I'm going to sleep now and if I have any nightmares from these pictures, don't blame me if I do come back and leave a less-than-pleasant comment.
I guess I'm a little different...I happen to like snakes! Yeah I'm weird I know. They are some beautiful pictures. I wonder if its the same snake we call a corn snake, but I didnt think our corn snakes got that big, regardless it is a pretty snake...LOL yeah didn't I tell you I'm weird?? Ha Ha!
I must have missed where you said your selling BD....and it is terrible someone would think that would be a bad choice. For one its your choice, and second, if you no long feel comfortable with her then you do what you have to do. As you know I'm trying to get over my own fears and recently we have decided to sell Leah's horse Bella, she is the only one who can ride her, why have a horse we cant all ride and I'm scared of? So I can relate. Dont feel bad about it, I dont with my decision at all, its best for me and mine.
As you know I too had ugly comments and made my blog private for awhile until I realized when your private your blog posts dont update on other peoples blog rolls, and people wern't coming to visit me any more..why do I care tho I dont know, I just wanted to share our life and my passions with the world, and being private didnt allow me to do that. My choice was to delete any nasty comments. Lately I'm not posting much either, the farm has been busy and my own personal issues keep me away, but I have to say this, your one of the first blogs i started to follow, and I consider you a friend even if we havent met in person, your a wonderful woman so dont let that crap get you down....I too have followers that dont comment much anymore, or even visit for all I know, it makes me sad, who knows maybe I've offended someone or all of them, Oh well..I need to work on not caring so much what other people think...chin up and I hope you'll keep on blogging and posting your wonderful pictures, you know i love them! I hope you'll let us leave comments just for my own selfish reasons, I like to comment on your blog! LOL Love you girl! I sure hope I havent done anything in blogger land that has offended you or anyone else...written words can be taken out of context and I think of that each time I leave a comment...
Hi Lisa~ So sorry to hear about the negative comments! Why can't people just email if they have something to say that might be negative? I mean, they shouldn't be negative in the first place, but be respectful and don't do it publicly, it should be a personal conversation. Like you, I am a sensitive person and that would really hurt me, too.
I understand your need to go commentless. I have read many other bloggers who have also done that, for various reasons.
I never feel I have to read anyone's blog just because they read mine, or sign up to follow just because they follow mine. I read and follow blogs that I find interesting or connect with, for whatever reason. This past month, I especially have come to the realization, because of some other stressful things going on in my life, that blogging sometimes has to take a backburner. At this point, blogging is just a creative hobby for me, but it was taking over my life. I don't have ads on my site, I don't make any money, it's not a job. It's just a fun way to express myself, share experiences, and learn something new. Like you, I started as a way to connect with family and friends, and started privately, never thinking I could dare go public or that people would care to hear what I have to say.
That being said, I would miss the two-way connection I get from blogging by reading comments. I learn so much from my commenters, too, get new links, reassurance, training information, etc. I guess I could get that through email too (and I do) but I like that the information is there for other readers to read, as well.
Great pictures of Mr. Snakey! Oh, and I love the new fonts....you know I'll probably email you and ask you how you did that...just like the Avatar, LOL! ;) ~PG
THe world is full of mean spirited people, and everyone has an opinion. Most opinions are only important to the person who has them. I'm glad you are blogging, love your amazing photos and stories, and it really doesn't matter if you allow comments or not- just keep on posting girl!
My favorite t-shirt saying "Mean people suck."
Soooo true.
My father went thru this recently and stopped blogging b'c one person kept making snide remarks.
I tried to point out that dozens had made great comments. But something about those bad apples...
Isn't it crazy that we're wired to feel the blows more than the glows?
It would be great to see these as one light out on a beautiful xmas tree, but it always seems like they are like those old fashion light string where one bad bulb kills the entire string.
Hope baby doll finds a new home soon and your knee is feeling better. xo to bull snake. Maybe he can reach up high for all those wall climbing mice.
ps i want a nest box and i don't even have chickens. lol
Wow Lisa...way cowgirlthe$%^&up!!!
(25 cents in the cuss jar)I was sensing something bad had happened for you to remove your comments, but did not expect that you would have someone do that to you. Reading blogs and commenting are OPTIONAL so getting your dander up to call someone out on a blog is way too aggressive in my opinion. Another opption for you is too be open to approved readers only! Several of my nieces started out that way and found it very helpful as a new blogger. Maybe it could be useful to an "oldtime" blogger too??? You have soooo many readers who have grown so fond of you and your family and animal family...it would be a loss, but we would all understand after your experience!
Still looks like a rattler to me!!!
I have a snake post coming up soon too!!!
One more thing....when viewing your blog on my mom's computer, your blog had an italic, unique font, and on my laptop, it's back to normal. Wow! Am I seeing things? :)
Lisa, I didn't really think I said anything so bad that you would call me out, but here we are, so there are a few things I need to say.
Whether or not you approve it. I'll still know that you read it.
First of all, I'm sorry that I hurt your feelings about the photography. You are a very talented photographer, and I believe I've complimented your photos quite a few times.
However, I don't think my comment about polocrosse looking to me like a train wreck was an insult to your photography. I thought it was a reasonable observation, from my point of view, about the nature of the game.
And how did you respond? By calling me a worry wart and saying that it must just be me. Please think for a moment about how that could have hurt and frustrated me.
And then -- perhaps worse -- when someone commented that they had had a dear friend die in a polo accident, you wrote your comment about how life itself can be dangerous. I just don't think that is an appropriate response to someone else's loss.
I left the comment I did -- the one you didn't approve, but reposted here -- because I was so horrified that you would treat someone else's loss that way. Perhaps I shouldn't have said what I did. But I don't think I'm the only one.
I've enjoyed reading your blog and getting to know you. I genuinely like you. I love your photography. I look forward to reading your blog every day. But honestly, I think you may have being dealing out hurt feelings yourself more than you realize.
Hi Lisa,
A lot of good comments. You are loved by many fellow bloggers. Me included! I love coming over to your site and seeing what is going on with you and your family and critters. You leave such warm, thoughtful, and caring comments when visiting others. I wil follow you no matter what your decision is. HUGS!!!
Wow! This had my vain self thinking "I hope I didn't leave any snarky judgemental comments" I'm pretty sure I didn't, but I totally relate to wanting everyone to be nice and not using my blog as their personal forum. I personally don't have the personality to deal with MEAN people and that lady was mean to you. I think you have handled it very well and I would be sad not to be able to put my two cents in even when people don't really care what I have to say!
I too am busy and only check in occasionally, but I always enjoy what you have to say. I would like to say please don't let the couple bad seeds ruin it for you, but I can't because I would also be bothered so it would be hypocritical. So I know this is cheesy but I'm sending you a hug and hoping things quiet down for you soon!
OK this may be a long comment so sorry in advance.
1- the snake: I'm not a particular fan of snakes. No way would I have waited around and taken a video! lol
Not that I would have wanted it dead, I just would NOT have wanted it on my front porch!!
2- the video: having stated the above I have to say a BIG thank you for that video. It was so cool! I enjoyed hearing the conversation between you and your son. :) And it was neat to see how Mr Bull Snake would expand and contract throughout his body as he hissed. I never knew that they kinda puff up like that and deflate.
3- blog BS: HUGE HUGS to you my dear! It makes me so sad to think that people are stooping to that kind of petty and nasty behaviour. Like you my feelings can get hurt quite easily at times. I'm glad you still have the option for comments though, like you I like to leave at least a small comment. Its like saying "I was here and appreciate your effort"
It may be a PITA but have you considered making your blog private? But I would like to request that if you did do that that I may have an invitation? If not I'd miss you!!
Hope you have a happier day tomorrow :)
ps - heh heh, my comment moderation word is "yeess"
A snake-y sounding yes! I guess its a sign that you have to keep me around! lol
Oh my goodness! I forgot to tell you that because of your post the other day I did a bad thing... I went and got some M&M cookies.
Bad Lisas (that would be you for tempting me and me for being tempted)
lol
AND - as far as that snotty commenter and the whole back and forth on bubble wrap. Deciding that Baby Doll is not the fit for you has NOTHING to do with bubble wrap.
To ME it seems that you meant you can't protect yourself from everything out there that may harm you. Deciding that your mare is not the right fit for you does NOT mean you are wrapping yourself in bubble wrap. It means that you have decided that a different horse would be a better fit for you and therefore a safer choice.
IMO it is best for horse AND rider to find themselves new partners if the current relationship is not working.
Remember, I've been there (the whole Quinn nightmare). Trust me if you've decided to move on there is nothing wrong with that decision!
(I hope I'm coherent, its been a long day on little sleep.)
I agree with you one hundred percent!! I love to blog for me!! I am also very thin skinned, I was in school and still am to this day!! My husband said to me that I don't get very many comments and I replied ( I don't care, I blog for me not to get a bunch of comments, it is nice to get them but I don't blog for the comments.) I love your blog and it is one of the top three that I always go visit everyday!!
Google says Definitions of blog on the Web:
read, write, or edit a shared on-line journal
web log: a shared on-line journal where people can post diary entries about their personal experiences and hobbies; "postings on a blog are ...
A blog (a contraction of the term "Web log") is a Web site, usually maintained by an individual with regular entries of commentary, descriptions ...
A personal or corporate website in the form of an online journal, with new entries appearing in sequence as they are written, especially as ...
blogger - a person who keeps and updates a blog
Blogger is a blog publishing system. It was created by Pyra Labs, which was bought by Google in 2003.
blogger - A contributor to a blog or online journal
blogging - The design and editing of a blog; weblogging
a journal or diary that is posted on the Internet.
Short for Web log, a blog is a Web page that serves as a publicly accessible personal journal for an individual. Typically updated daily, blogs often reflect the personality of the author.
Short for "Web log," a specialized site that allows an individual or group of individuals to share a running log of events and personal ...
Blog is short for weblog. A weblog is a journal (or newsletter) that is frequently updated and intended for general public consumption. Blogs generally represent the personality of the author or the Web site.
A blog is a website where entries are made in journal style and displayed in a reverse chronological order. ...
A weblog (usually shortened to blog, but occasionally spelled web log) is a web-based publication consisting primarily of periodic articles ...
An online journal, short for 'web log'. Entries are published in reverse chronological order.
So in conclusion, ablog is a blog, not a debate forum! Go Lisa!!!
Hugs, Debi
Google says Definitions of blog on the Web:
read, write, or edit a shared on-line journal
web log: a shared on-line journal where people can post diary entries about their personal experiences and hobbies; "postings on a blog are ...
A blog (a contraction of the term "Web log") is a Web site, usually maintained by an individual with regular entries of commentary, descriptions ...
A personal or corporate website in the form of an online journal, with new entries appearing in sequence as they are written, especially as ...
blogger - a person who keeps and updates a blog
Blogger is a blog publishing system. It was created by Pyra Labs, which was bought by Google in 2003.
blogger - A contributor to a blog or online journal
blogging - The design and editing of a blog; weblogging
a journal or diary that is posted on the Internet.
Short for Web log, a blog is a Web page that serves as a publicly accessible personal journal for an individual. Typically updated daily, blogs often reflect the personality of the author.
Short for "Web log," a specialized site that allows an individual or group of individuals to share a running log of events and personal ...
Blog is short for weblog. A weblog is a journal (or newsletter) that is frequently updated and intended for general public consumption. Blogs generally represent the personality of the author or the Web site.
A blog is a website where entries are made in journal style and displayed in a reverse chronological order. ...
A weblog (usually shortened to blog, but occasionally spelled web log) is a web-based publication consisting primarily of periodic articles ...
An online journal, short for 'web log'. Entries are published in reverse chronological order.
So in conclusion, ablog is a blog, not a debate forum! Go Lisa!!!
Hugs, Debi
Wow! Lisa, The snake photos and video even got my hubby attention. I know how you feel about negative comments. I am sorry that people can be so mean. Big hug. I am glad to see you are still blogging.
Lisa, I wondered what was up with your blog, but I hear 'ya! I've had to delete only one negative comment. I'm like you...I love to write AND take pics, so blogging I go! I'm sorry that person upset you, but remember, there are those of us who LOVE YA! Now, put a smile on your face and have a great day!
~~Cheryl Ann~~
BTW, hubby heard two (2), yes, 2, rattlesnakes in the bushes yesterday up at the ranch! Just a warning rattle. I COULD NOT hear them! My hearing is going, along with my mind! Something for me to think about, however. If I can't hear a rattlesnake's warning, I'm in BIG TROUBLE!!!
Lisa--Who cares if someone has a mean twisted heart? It's not your problem. I'd probably laugh at the idiocy of the ignorance and move on. Although perhaps not. I have very few readers, but I don't really care about that. I, like you, started out my blog for myself, easier to keep than a journal and you can add pictures! It can be dissapointing not to even receive one comment, but again, whatever. I have never felt obligated to come over to your blog and leave comments even tho' you leave me nice one's all the time. I leave comments when I have something nice to say...hopefully I have never offended you. I have made comments in the past, but just in relation to understanding the frustration and fear you are going through with your horse, having been there myself. Anywhoo, I can't keep up with tons of blogs and comment on very few, but yours is one of them and I hope you keep me aboard. Big Grin!
Slainte'
~Mindy
Bravo *applause* Thank you Lisa for this post.
Check out a very similar post about Guilt Free Blogging at www.pamperspective.blogspot.com.
In the beginning of my blog, I never thought I'd have people other than family & friends that might read my blog and comment. You're right, we start to get hung up on the attention. I think too many blogs out there are hung up on how many followers they have.
It's time for me to get back to basics. I'm glad that you (and Pam) posted what you did, because it jerked me back to the reality of what my blog is -- I created it primarily for friends and family to know what I was doing in KS, since they are in OH and CA. At first, it didn't appear too many of my friends and family were really reading my blog, which disheartened me. Then the other readers started coming, and I was hooked. Now I feel like I'm creating posts for my readers in general, instead of my family & friends. Ironically, my family & friends do check out my blog now, quite frequently. I need to get back to posts created for them! I'm sure they didn't much enjoy reading my post about "comments" -they don't comment anyway!!!
Re: the negative, rude, argumentative comments. Luckily I haven't been the recipient, at least not that I can remember. I'm floored that someone would leave you those comments -- I try to be as positive and cheerful at all times as I can. I believe in the old adage, if you can't say something nice, then don't. Rude thoughts voiced out loud do nothing positive or uplifting for the recipient. Too many people in this world think that their OPINION is more than just an opinion.
Like you, I tend to be rather thin-skinned and sensitive. But it's because I'm a very caring, kind and giving person. I do have trouble dealing with any direct verbal attacks and so my feelings can be hurt easily.
I'm hoping I get a full-time job soon (well, not really, but ya know...) and when I do, my blogging is going to take a huge back seat. Like you mentioned, uploading a bunch of photos takes oodles of time, and then organizing all your text.... extremely time consuming. (Esp when Blogger drops every photo at the top of the post and you have to reposition every single one!)
As for me, I'm cleaning up my reader today, unfollowing everyone I don't really follow, taking any buttons off my blog, and I'm cancelling my new blog design, even though I will lose my initial $60 deposit. I don't need a fancy new blog design. (She's almost 3 weeks late with it anyway.)
Oh, and the pics of your bull snake are awesome. I got some pics of one in our back yard a few weeks ago. We've seen a lot of bull snakes around here this spring!
Have a great Monday, Lisa! :) Love your blog, keep it the way YOU like it.
Gosh my going off line on the weekend habits cause me to miss everything. I had no idea that was going on - I'm sorry your having trouble with commentators (did I use that word right?).
I like snakes, we don't have much up in my area, but we do find the occasional Bull snake around - I think they are pretty and they keep the mice down. Nice pics of it. Hope you are having a better day - I'm sending ya some sunshine chickie!
Oh and I am familiar with the Dream Cather stories - I have one in my house. Wink wink.
I noticed when you added it and figured you did so for the same reason I got mine.
You are entitled to express yourself via your blog and to hell with whatever anyone has to say about it. It's your personal expression, not anyone else's, and if you choose to moderate comments or not allow them, you should be able to. I enjoy your blog and your photos and you are a kind and warm person. Don't let someone else's opinion get you down. You know the old expression about opinions...
It's your blog and your choice what to do with it. I'm sorry you've had experiences with comments that hurt - it certainly must take some of the fun out of blogging. I blog because I like to write about my experiences with horses and nature - if on some things that also gets a conversation going, that's good too but not essential. Maybe I think more about what happens during my day, and notice more, because I write about it. I follow other blogs to learn about the interesting things other people are doing in their journeys with horses - I don't always agree with everything they say but I can learn something from lots of different people. And I just love horses - the more pictures of horses and stories about horses I can see, the better - there can never be too many horses for me - I'm greedy that way. Does it take a lot of time - yes, sometimes too much I think. I have to ration my blogging activities to make sure they don't eat up too much of my life. So far I've not had negative comments - I'm not sure what I'd do if I did but your response is certainly legitimate - because it's yours.
I love the snake by the way - I love almost all things in nature, even those that are sometimes scary! Your photos are always wonderful! Thanks for continuing to allow us a peek at your life!
Love that snake, he's beautiful! As for the comments, just let it roll off your back. Don't take it to heart. We love you just the way you are. Keep it real, and if people don't like it, they can go away.
Lisa,
Wow! What an awesome snake! It looked like it was pretty big and long... Wow!!!
By the way, when I talked about selling Stewy in the past (when he was being a BAD, BAD BOY...) with some of my schoolmates, they'd all say,
"Well, that's so mean! You can't just sell him!"
And that'd just get my blood boiling... Ohhhh, it even gets me angry now! But I just had to let it go. I just had to accept those people knew absolutely NOTHING about horses, and if they even TRIED to get on Stewy and even attempted to walk around on their own, I knew they'd be off in a heartbeat, and they'd be completely terrified. I knew they only knew one side of the story, and that's the me-wanting-to-sell-Stewy side. They didn't know the half of how BAD BAD BAD he was!
I'm not saying BabyDoll is a bad girl, I'm just referring to some of my bad experiences with similar situations. Ugh... those snarky people! Just so rude! They don't even know! I'm sure if whoever that lady was put a foot in one stirrup with BabyDoll under the saddle, they wouldn't have a CLUE what the HECK they were doing...
OK, I need to stop... I'm getting mad already, because I can relate.
But hang in there Lisa! I'll still visit your blog no matter what! I hope you'll still visit mine too!!!
Lydia
Hey girl, sent you an email, I just ran into this same XXXXXX problem today! So please read and go to the link I sent you then go to that ugly persons blog and you'll see why I'm ticked.
Could use your advice about this..
My blog has always been moderated because when I first started in 2005 I got some creepy porno people commenting - which was weird and disconcerting.
My blog is mostly for me, my horse friends and my family, but it has been a pleasure to make some blog friends across the US.
I never leave unpleasant comments...if I had a point to make or thought to question someone's horse handling, I would do it privately.
Hang in there - you're just tender hearted.
HIGH FIVE my friend! You are a sweetheart. I know all about having thin skin, and I dont see that there is anything wrong with protecting yourself from what, at times can be a harsh world. One of my favorite expressions is...
"I'd rather feel to much than feel to little."
When you have more to feel, you have more to love to give.
*BIG hug*
Now...you need something to make you smile...
What did the snail say when it took a ride on the turtles back?
WEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!
You're too sweet, my Lisa friend. I just read through this long list of comments. I can tell that we all feel the same about you--you're loved!
I really, truly will be fine if we can't comment--I just wanted you to know how much I enjoy replying back to your creative, informative posts. You have a gift for blogging--that's for sure! And your photography--amazing! You're really turned on the burners in that department.
Happy hugs coming your way.
My goodness, I don't check up on my blogs and look what I miss. You have some very good points. I think (if my opinion matters) that this is your blog. If you want to moderate comments then do so. It's your blog you have the power!! So, don't let what someone says get you down.
One thing I did notice was how it was said that by you wanting to sell BD was "not taking care of her". Which IMO is not true at all. You are doing your horse and you a great favor if you two found a more relaxing enviroment. I think it's a very big descion, but a good one.
You just blog what ever you want. I really don't follow any blogs, because I read them all on Google Reader. So there is really no need for me to have Blogger keep up with the blogs I like to read when Reader does it for me. Reader is a lot easier to use too.
I hope you have a better day. (((((((hug)))))))
Well, that explains why I couldn't find the comment link. I'd swear you were giving me an IQ test, because I looked all over kingdom come for that dang thing, and for once had a novel to write. I think my IQ would probably rate around 50 after that test, but I did eventually figure out that either you were redesigning your blog and accidentally turned off commenting, or you did it on purpose because someone flamed you.
My RSS Feed is getting out of control. In just two days of being too busy to keep up with reading other blogs, I had nearly 200 posts to catch up on. I realized that I need to cut it down to just reading those blogs that I get something out of. Sometimes what I get out of them is a nice person to chat with. Other times I get an education. Other times I get entertained. Blogging is a gift for those who we wish to share it with, but sometimes I have too many gifts to open, and I can't keep up. That's why my comments are so few and far between. I think I'm going to start concentrating on quality from here on in.
Loved seeing the snake pics and video along with your post.
So sorry to hear about your troubles! I like the integration of your snake adventure with the topic, priceless! And I agree whole heartedly with you about snarky and rude comments. I don't understand why people feel the need to invade our "personal" space and then be rude. Seriously, what's this world coming to?! ;)
I do love visiting your blog to check out your Sunday Stills photos and one of these days I'll get over here to get caught up on your archives.
Happy blogging!
I'm so sorry you had a bad experience with comments!! I suppose the good thing is that it took 3 years for that to happen.
I feel the same way you do about blogging, especially my Mountains Rule blog. I do it for me. Sometimes I post too many photos and say too much, but I enjoy it and I look back at my blog pretty often, especially for details of hikes and Jeep trails.
As for being cheesy, I actually posted 2 videos this week with Rocky Mountain High playing in the background. HAHA!! Couldn't help myself. I did it because I liked it. :)
Post a Comment