Friday, June 19, 2009

Polocrosse~Horses and Lacrosse

As the name implies, Polocrosse is a combination of Polo and Lacrosse where players on horseback use a racket to pass a ball back and forth as they attempt to score a point between two upright posts at the end of  the 160-yard playing field.

IMG_5605

It only seemed natural that my family check it out, seeing as my hubby has played lacrosse since he was in high school and he has coached college and high school lacrosse much of his adult life. Also, one of my twinlings, Jax has played lacrosse for the past 6 years. He’s 12 now and his other interest involves horses, so he was especially excited in learning more about Polocrosse.

IMG_5628

Ranchman John had been told about polocrosse last year while he was coaching a lacrosse game at UNM. Some players from The Habanero Polocrosse Team had stopped by and invited everyone to come check them out. I had been wanting to do just that, but it took me a while due to ‘unforeseen’ circumstances. hah! But recently, the planets aligned, so, we made our plans and invited my friend, Val to go, too. I thought it would be fun if both she and Jax got involved in Polocrosse if they liked what they saw. (More on that later!)  

IMG_5623

When we arrived at the location, the coach and the players were enjoying some lunch while the horses had a rest, as they had already been practicing earlier. Yes, we were a little bit late. Hey! We got lost. hehe! We met everyone, and then the coach and several of the players told us more about the rules of the game and how the game of polocrosse is played.

IMG_5667

Polocrosse is played on a field which is 160 yards long by 60 yards wide. Goal posts, which are 8 feet apart, are located at each end of the field. Infield, there is a line that extends the width of the field, 30 yards from each goal, that is called the "penalty line".

IMG_5640

This line encloses what is called the "goal scoring area", into which only the No. 1 of the attacking team and the No. 3 of the defending team are allowed to enter.

IMG_5669

Directly in front of the goal posts is an 11 yard arc. The soft sponge rubber ball must be thrown through the goal posts from outside this arc, and from within the "goal scoring area".

IMG_5652

IMG_5655

The ball may not be carried across the penalty line when entering or exiting the goal scoring area. It must be either thrown to a teammate or bounced across by the appropriate player.

IMG_5668

IMG_5681

Teams are made up of 6 players, 2 teams of three.

IMG_5696

The #1 player is the "attack". The #1 is the only player who can score a goal for the team, and can only do so when in the goal scoring area.

IMG_5679

The #2 player is the "midfielder" responsible for both offense and defense.

IMG_5650

 The #2 is usually the pivot of the team, and can only play in the midfield area.

IMG_5682

The #3 player is the "defense", or essentially, the goalie.

IMG_5630

The #3 is the only player who can defend the goal.

IMG_5658

One of the aspects I appreciate about Polocrosse is that all ages and sexes can play, side-by-side. The Habanero Polocrosse team’s youngest player is 12, while the oldest is 56 years old. The girl, in the red shirt, you see in the photo below is 13 yrs old, and she is one tough chile pepper.

IMG_5620 

Another terrific aspect about Polocrosse is that for beginners, ANY horse will do.  The Habanero club members are riding Quarter Horses, Arabians, Appaloosas, Morgans and Thoroughbreds.

IMG_5651

The  horses range in age from 6 to 22 and from 14.hh to 16.hh. All are enjoying the game and playing at a variety of levels.  The higher level the play, the more athletic the horse & player!  The horses come from every background; english, western, reining, team penning, & working ranch horses.

IMG_5612

Most horses don't mind and pick things up quickly.  They will eventually become desensitized to the ball and racket. The majority of horses take just a couple of practices to decide that the ball and racket are no big deal. They seem to  enjoy the variety of activity in PLX and after a few practices most horses are eager to play. They become comfortable with horses close to them, balls and rackets moving in all directions, and  become a better horse overall because of it.

IMG_5616 

A little bit of cool history:

The Australian horse sport of Polocrosse was derived from an equestrian exercise in England and was introduced to Australia in 1939 where it rapidly spread across the country.

IMG_5606 

Polocrosse is also played in New Zealand, New Guinea, South Africa, the United States, United Kingdom, Ireland, Canada and Zimbabwe. Due to the interest and growth of Polocrosse, the International Polocrosse Association was formed in 1976. Its aim was to promote international competitions, to create a common international set of rules of the game, and to promote the sport throughout the world.

IMG_5617 

Polocrosse was first introduced in the United States at Lake Erie College in Painesville, Ohio, by students who had been to Australia on academic terms abroad. Kathy Nelson is recognized for returning to the United States with rackets and balls ready to teach others.

IMG_5644

Upon her return, she organized evening practices at the college. One student who participated in these practices was Darcy Deming, who then went to Australia for her own Academic Term abroad. She returned to the U.S. to form what is now the American Polocrosse Association. In October, 1982, the Canadian Polocrosse Association was formed. Check out this exciting video from the International Polocrosse Association. .(Scroll down to the bottom of this page to turn off my music playlist first)

 

And here’s a little video I took from the Habanero Polocrosse team’s practice.

After the Polocrosse practice, the tired but contented players and their ponies headed home.

IMG_5725

Some players were lucky enough to be able to just ride their ponies home.

IMG_5740

 

I hope you enjoyed looking at my photos and video and learning about Polocrosse as much as I did. And I bet you’re now wondering if Polocrosse will be a part of Jax, Val, or my future, eh? 

IMG_5815

Well, you’re just gonna have to come back to find out now, aren’t ya? *devilish laughter*




From the Tower of,

25 comments :

Dan and Betty said...

Wow, this is rare that I'm the first to comment.

Great pictures and it looks like it would be great fun. I'm not sure how well our gaited horses would do, but it's a little too fast for us old folks anyway.

Val and Jax's pass looked kind of tame, but I'm sure they'll get better in the future.

Dan

Katharine Swan said...

Wow, is it just me, or does anyone else think some of those pictures look like a train wreck waiting to happen?

erin said...

terrific post and indeed i hope that polocrosse is in someone's future in your family. the photos were great and so enjoyed reading.
have a wonderful weekend.
hugs always

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

lol! Must be you...worry wart. lol!
No trainwrecks. All was safe. The horses seemed to know where to move their bodies and feet and the riders were competent and safe, too.
Lots of action, but no trainwrecks.

Did you check out the International Polocross video? You can learn more about the sport watching that and visiting the website.


I'm glad you enjoyed all my photos and information I shared about Polocrosse, Katharine. It was a lot of work, but I enjoyed photographing it and sharing it with you. :)

~Lisa

TxFarmhouse said...

Okay, that's cool. I've never heard of Polocrosse. The polo ponies here at Texas A&M are awesome..it's nice to see a game where any breed can be used. I love the pic (I think it's about the third one down) where the horses are taking leaning turns. Cool pictures. And there's my boy in the last picture...Scout.

Girl Tornado said...

What an interesting post, it sure looks like a ton of fun, and your photos are truly awesome. Several are frame worthy! ;)

jane augenstein said...

Wow, Lisa, as always a really, really neat post! I haven't gotten to watch the videos yet, heading for bed in a few, but will watch tomorrow. How cool is that, I love the Aussie saddles everyone is using, do they all use Aussie saddles? I had one once, Gil's first saddle, it was heavy so I decided to go for a lighter weight western. I did love it though!
Will check back to see how the game is coming at your ranch!
Great post!!!!
~Jane and Gilly~

allhorsestuff said...

WOW fab picture of that action packed sport! Wooowee...what a cute pic of Val and Jax! They are doing the bareback walk through version! Much calmer for all around!
haha! Sneaky laugh!
Kac

allhorsestuff said...

p.s.
I was thinking that Pony Girl had traveled with My Boy for a second..did a double take!!

Unknown said...

Interesting sport.
Theres nothing like that around here.

Paint Girl said...

I have heard of polocrosse, but have never seen it. You did a wonderful job explaining the rules, and what they do, and of course, your photos are absolutely gorgeous!
I'll be waiting to see if this will be your next sport!!

Andrea said...

That looks like fun! I wish we had something like that over here!!! And that 12 year old is a little firecracker. Great shots of all the action. Looks likes it's a good work out for the horse and rider.

Desert Rose said...

So does Polocrosse make the horses sorta "crazy" at times??? All that fast action can tend to make the nerves jitter. Other than the mallet and hard ball, the game is basically like polo right??? Polo is one of the most dangerous sporting events out there. It is acutally not the mallet/ball that cause the trouble...it's the falls and head trauma even with helmets. I hate to sound so negative, but we lost a dear friend in a polo accident. His horse stumled, he fell as he connected with the ball and broke his brain stem. They disconnected him from life support 48 hours later. He never knew he made the gaol!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

More people are killed in car and motorcycle accidents than in horse accidents every year.
Any activity involving 1000lb animals is potentially dangerous.
Jumping can be just as fatally dangerous if you look at the statistics.
Any rodeo events can be lethal, including team roping, barrels, bull-riding, cutting, as well as sheep and goat riding for the little ones.
Horse racing kills and maims many jockeys each year.

The polocrosse horses didn't seem nervous or jittery at all. In between chasing the ball and racin to the goal, there is plenty of time for the horses to stand around and rest waiting for the ball and #1 player to return to the Infield.

The polocrosse horses act very much like cutting horses, in that they learn quickly where to move and how to chase the ball, treating the ball much like a cutting horse treats a calf.
It doesn't take long for them to figure it all out and not need much direction from their riders.

I'd even go so far as to say the Polocrosse horses seem to enjoy themselves and look forward to being out there running with the other horses.

Can the game be dangerous?

Sure.

Life can be dangerous, though. Should we just sit around covered in bubble wrap, knitting socks in a closet?
Or should we take a few risks and grab life by the horns and be free while enjoying life?

~Lisa

The Wades said...

I loved these pictures. You got some great action shots.

I'm a little tortured that you're not allowing comments on posts more current than this one. Happy for you, sad for me. I need to express myself, ya know! ;)

Enjoy your life and blogging. I'll be happy to read even if I can't praise you after I'm done. Love ya

cdncowgirl said...

I've heard of PLX but really didn't know too much about it.
Great job teaching us a bit about it!
And wow, you sure caught some great action pics!!

Welcome To Wilmoth Farms said...

Fun!!!! Such an interesting post with some great pictures!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Fantastic photos. (I almost spelled it "Fantastyk". Val messed up my spelling skills.) I have a coworker who has played lacrosse most of his life, but he's afraid of horses. I'll have to tease him by telling him about polocrosse, and urge him to join a team.

Katharine Swan said...

Lisa, I see you didn't approve my last comment, so I guess you didn't like what I had to say. I'm sorry, but I find it inconsistent and kind of hypocritical that you would lecture your readers about anything horse-related being dangerous, when you are selling your mare -- and thereby failing to take care of her -- because you are scared of her. Where's your sentiments about not bubblewrapping ourselves in that particular choice?

I'm not sure why you've suddenly turned into a comment Nazi. Your blog was never like that before. You were always very open and welcoming, yet suddenly you are unwilling to hear viewpoints that are different than yours. I think it's too bad, because your blog used to be a site I enjoyed visiting, but that appears to be changing. What's the point of visiting a blog if it's a one-sided conversation?

Jocelyn said...

Oh now that looks FUN FUN FUN!

Love your pics and the game explanation !

Word verif: acone... yummo

Pony Girl said...

I had to chuckle at ALLHORSESTUFF's comment that she thought I had joined the game w/My Boy, hee! You bet I noticed that spotted Appy hiney in the game, though! Great pics, Lisa, as usual! Tell me again, so you use a point and shoot? Girl, you ought to write a book on photography w/a point and shoot! You outdo most DSLR's!!

Heather said...

All very awesome photos. I don't know how to play lacrosse, but I would learn to do this! It looks like fun!

jacksonsgrrl said...

I'm sorry. How is selling a horse failing to take care of it? WHAT? I almost sold my horse after I broke my shoulder and had some other accidents b/c I felt I was overhorsed. My horse started to become a pasture ornament (at a boarding barn, so he wasn't even gracing MY pasture with his beauty) and he needs a job, due to his extreme talent and potential! How was making a decision to sell to someone who could do right by your horse not taking care of it? JUST THE OPPOSITE in my opinion. This decision has been an agoninzing one for Lisa and she will find a good home for her horse and find one suited to her needs! I was fortunate that I was able to move my horse and not sell him--but I venture to say that you have no idea what you are talking about Ms. Swan! Your comment of her not taking care of her horse is unfounded and cold-hearted. Shame on you.
--Mindy

KD said...

WAY cool photos - looks like fun to me! Looks like everyone favors an Aussie saddle too for the poleys and deep seat maybe.

Unknown said...

Found it via google when I heard it mentioned by another horsey friend, and wanted to say...WOW! Looks like a TON of FUN, and I would love to give it a try. [My app & I are occasional polo players.] Thank you for taking and sharing such great pics!


To Katharine: Perhaps she didn't approve your comment due to the completely untrue accusations that she doesn't take care of her horse? Have you considered that?
Oh..and blogging is not lecturing. You might want to learn the difference!