Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Road Trip~Ghosts of Lincoln, NM

While a little eerie and spooky, I am fascinated with old, abandoned buildings, especially those that were once called home.

During our exploring of Lincoln, New Mexico, we came across several of these kind of dwellings.

IMG_4851

IMG_4853

IMG_4852

IMG_4856

IMG_4855

Oh, the stories these old buildings could tell……..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No new news on Mare Watch. Like Sydney said, I think if she gets any bigger she’s going to explode. Poor girl.

We thought it would have been last night because we had a huge rain storm….a real New Mexico BellyWasher with buckets of rain and strong winds. But, alas, Annie’s not giving up her foal just yet. Maybe tonight?? Keep your hooves crossed everyone!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To answer several of you who have asked about my camera and photographs, if they have been photoShopped or not, etc. No they have not. I don’t even own PhotoShop, though I sure would love to! Imagine the fun I could have then. hah! No, I just use my Windows Photo software to adjust the contrast/brightness. And sometimes if the photo looks dull I will use the color pop button, but the majority of my photos are straight out of my camera.

Have I mentioned that I love my camera? My previous camera was a Canon PowerShot A560 with 7.1 Mega Pixels and only 4X Optical Zoom, and only a 2.5”LCD screen. It still took great photos and, except for the measely zoom and the myopic screen, I was very happy with it……but then it got stolen in Santa Fe last October.

Right after Christmas my family gave me my current camera (Did I mention that I love it? I do!). It’s also a Canon PowerShot. A SX110 IS to be exact. I knew I wanted another Canon, but I wanted more zoom and a larger LCD screen. Well, this puppy’s got 9.0 Mega Pixels, 10X Optical Zoom, and a 3” LCD screen. It has a whole slew of awesome Manual Settings if I ever take the time to read-up on them and play. But I’ve been so pleased with what my camera can do all on it’s own without much help from me, that I’ve not felt any urgency. But at least I have that option. This camera is a little bigger than most point and shoots, but it still fits in my horn bag or in it’s camera bag, around my neck, without cracking a vertebrae.

Well that’s the scoop on my camera and photos. I hope y’all enjoy them. I have a blast looking around me with a photographer’s eye.

And with that, I leave you with some photos of a plump Mama Prairie Dog who calls my neighbor’s paddock her home, along with her three pups.

IMG_5879

Awwww!

IMG_5883

Triplets!

IMG_5893

This is one of the reasons I love my camera.

(Can you see the prairie dogs?)

IMG_5887

Next stop on the New Mexico Road Trip is Capitan…..home of Smokey the Bear.




From the Tower of,

15 comments :

Alison said...

I've been jealous of your zoom-zoom lens since I first read about it--thanks so much for rubbing it in! Hmph.

Cheryl Ann said...

I have a Canon and I LOVE it! It's not an expensive one, but I can't think of a time it hasn't taken a good, clear picture! Not like my Nikon (that I'm STILL trying to figure out!!!)

Dan and Betty said...

Great pictures. I love old abandoned buildings too.

Dan

Jocelyn said...

poor mamma prairie dog ! she needs a tummy tuck !

Cant wait for that foal to arrive!

cdncowgirl said...

Are prairie dogs the same as gophers? (or to be more proper Ground Squirrels)
They sure look similar. And although they appear cute I have to say I do NOT like them... or more specifically the holes they make!

Paint Girl said...

I think the Prairie Dogs are very cute! We don't have any of those around here!
Love the ghost town pictures! Fabulous! I also always wonder about abandoned buildings/homes. There has to be a story there somewhere!

Andrea said...

I am still holding out for the 14th for Annie. Poor mare she is huge! And your camera is awesome! Those prarie dogs are adorable! Great pics!!

Grammy said...

The Prairie Dog photos are awesome. What a catch. Have a great day.

Ed said...

Old buildings ate fun to explore, and the dogs are just too cute. I also don't use photoshop and don't plan too, great pics...:-)

TxFarmhouse said...

I wonder how old those buildings are...50+yrs?
I asked for a new camera for Christmas last year and got an Olympus from hubby because he got a good deal. I asked for a Canon. If I ever figure out all the buttons on this thing, I'm sure I'll like it more than I do.

Bella said...

Oohhh ghost towns are so weird u know they're like made from people abandoning a gold rush site for another one! ♥♥

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Those are clear pictures from such a distance.

Tammy Vasa said...

Thanks for the reply on the camera. I think your subjects are always so colorful, too, and make for great pictures! I did get my new Canon and while I sat in the truck at a cold baseball game, I read a lot of the manual. Now I need to re-read it -- it takes me several times to figure stuff out and then I probably only get 10% of what it really can do!

tv

GreyWolf said...

I too am facinated by old abandoned buildings. Like you I wonder about the stories they could tell. One I used to pass for years on my way to work was finally demolished and I did get the history of it from a nieboring farmer who came into my work.
A young man built the large two story brick farmhouse for his future wife. But just before the wedding she broke up with him.
He never married. The house was never lived in and was left to rot until he finally died. Then his remaining family tore it down and worked the land. Such a sad story.

Lisa Wilson said...

Oh my gosh!! I've never seen a photo of prairie dogs like this one! I just bought my first issue of Outdoor Photographer. Yikes! I can't decide if I want a subscription or not. I hate to start such an expensive hobby. My little Sony camera has been good to me.