What? Another post about peaches? haha! Yeppers. I’m up to my earlobes in peaches and I’m not complaining one bit. This morning we enjoyed some of the freezer jam spread on hot buttered toast….and we couldn’t stop moaning in pleasure. It was so delicious, I can’t even describe it!
Mrs. Mom asked how to make Freezer Jam. And I must tell you that if you are just starting out harvesting fruit, freezer jam is a perfect way to ‘can’ some fruit. Even novices, like me, who’d rather spend all my time outside and with the animals, and will only spend time in the kitchen because I have to, can make freezer jam. Really!
All you do is prepare your fruit (wash, peel, etc), crush the fruit (I like mine smooth, with no large chunks, so I toss mine into the blender for a about 20 seconds), mix in the sugar and some lemon juice or Fruit Fresh (to keep fruit from browning), and then add the pectin (or freezer jam packet…..what did old timers use before there were grocery stores that sold pectin?), and then stir it all up, let sit for 30 minutes until it is thick.
And voila! Freezer Jam. You can put some in your freezer, or use some right away!
It will only last about 3 weeks in the fridge and about 8 months in the freezer, but in my house it might not even last THAT long. lol!
CeeCee commented that I should boil my peaches for 15-30 seconds so the skin will just peel right off, without having to use a paring knife.
And like I said in my post, I was busy blanching the peaches, too.....which is the same thing as 'boiling for 15-30 seconds' so the peelings' just slip off.
I did it twice, but call me weird....I don't like that process at all. It takes too long to get everything out and then cleaned up and put away, wait for the water to boil (especially at our 7,000 ft elevation), and it uses too much water with all the peaches I have to process, the peaches are hot and slippery...and messy, some even end up mushy, and some....their skin doesn't slip off easily and I still have to peel anyway.
In my experience it’s a hassle...and not as relaxing as just sitting down in front of the TV for a fascinating nature show, or outside in the shade watching the llamas and goats, with a cold Fuzzy Navel Smoothie, a paring knife and a bowl of peaches.
But if anyone know of a less messy, less water-wasteful, less steamy, more hassle-free way of peeling peaches let me know. I still have quite a few peaches left to process. hehe!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now, you might even be wondering what we’re doing with all those peach pits and peelins’. When I was kid, I remember some of my family members whittling away at peach pits, creating whimsical things like monkeys and squirrels. I’d try that myself, but with my ability to get injured, I’d probably better stay away from a pocketknife and a tiny hard surface.
This is what we do with our peach peelins’………
Yah. Pepper, the caprine vacuum, is always first. But, as you can see, noone goes hungry around here.
Always curious, Cataleya and Catlinite bring up the rear.
Nom, nom, nom. Yum, peach peelins’!
Piggy Pepper, always begging for more food. lol!
The chickens get some of the peelings, the windfall peaches and also the pits. They seem to enjoy pecking away at the fruit stuck to the pit.
I haven’t offered any to Baby Doll yet. She’s got a picky palate, though. I’m sure she’s holding out for the apples that are currently ripening on our trees. And she will expect me to slice them for her, of course. Spoiled girl.
From the Tower of,
25 comments :
these are, as always, great shots. Love the running goats, and the llamas!
I know that trick with the peaches! While I was younger I tried to feed them to my ponies - was never successful.
Hope your summer is going well my friend. I have missed so much on blogger lately it is hopeless try to get caught up so I am just visiting everyone recent posts when I have time.
I have never made freezer jam before but maybe I will have to try it. Love the running llamas!
Like you, I don't mind finding a comfy spot and just cutting off the skins with a knife, and turning over the peelings and pits to the chickens, my goats don't seem interested in stuff like that, but the chickens go for anything.
Yum!
Sorry, I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention to your story the first time. I just saw that pile of peaches that had been peeled by hand and groaned.
I really, really hate peeling peaches. :) I don't ming putting up with the slime factor with boiling.
Love the action shots of the critters hurrying up for peach peels.
Oh, you're at 7,000ft. We're at 3,333ft. Ok, I guess it has to do with early and late freezes here then. Sure wish we could raise peaches 'round here.
That must be hilarious to see all those furry critters stampeding toward you. I can only imagine the chorus of bleats and baaas and whatnots.
I'll have you know that since you are talking about peaches, I have to get some at the grocery store today! There were some that were grown at a local orchard so I got me some peaches!!! They smell sooooo good!!
I don't know of any easy way to do peaches, unless of course you had someone else do it for you...LOL!!! Messy, sticky but oh, so good!!!
~Jane and Gilly~
hah...look at those goats a running toward the treat!
that's too cute.
i will have to look for that fixing packet here...if i can't find i might impose upon you to send me some, of course i will send you money to pay for prior.
hugs always.
What a wonderful life you have! I love your picture journal of the ways you fill it.:):)
Ooh, I'd be dangerous if I combined alcohol and a sharp knife.
Hey - If I'm EVER in New Mexico, I'm crashing your pad !! Adult peach smoothies, beautiful scenery, cool evenings, no mosquitos..... 'nuff said!
Love peaches. They look delicious.
Dan
Girl I wouldn't have the first clue as to what to do with all those peaches. Although a peach daquiri sounds pretty darn good.
You gotta love the look on Pepper's face running to those peelings. Priceless...
The freezer jam sound delicous. I'm going to have to try the freezer jam, if I can keep everybody from eatting up the peaches I get long enough to make it.
Great photos Lisa. I don't peel my peaches. I like the tart taste that the peel adds so I just leave the peels on and puree them for a few seconds in the blender or mash them with a potato masher if I want them chunkier. Less fuss. More taste.
Great shot of the gang runnin' for the peelings, Baby Doll is one magnificient horse..:-)
My husband loved fresh peaches on his cereal, preferably year-round.
We bought boxes of peaches when they were in season, and simply wrapped each peach in aluminum foil and popped them in the deep freeze. When you are ready to use them, let them thaw (or pop one in the microwave briefly, after removing the foil, of course), peel (the skins slip right off), slice and eat. I have always peeled tomatoes for canning or making sauce that way, also. Freeze them, thaw and the skins slip right off.
Looks like everyone gets to enjoy the peach harvest! Great post Lisa.
Oh my goodness, those pictures of your goats and llamas running is so funny!! I loved the look on Pepper's face!!! LOL I am laughing. You can send some of the freezer jam my way!! YUM!!!
That shot of all of them coming running is amazing!!! I loved this post!
The puppies are a result of Baghera's previously undiscovered Houdini talents and I didn't know for sure (I was in Sweden) until the day before Sheba went into labour. My dad kept me included with wireless skype and so although I didn't actually attend the birth, I feel as if I was there! Being short of good guard dogs, we're keeping most of them - if not all - within the Eden community.
And after that, I hope Sheba stays away from the boys for a while, even the ones that manage to crawl under the fence!
I can't believe those shots! How hilarious..everyone of them has an expression. I put your link up on my site and would love to know a little background on your ranch sometime. The peaches..well, I'd be loving it too! I really enjoy your photos-
Lisa, I found a way to peel peaches and it's pretty easy. I do this with tomatoes too. Take the back of your knife and run it firmly over the skin of the peach, it kind of bruises it, makes the skin loose and it peels off pretty easily. Where it peach is a bit green or not quite ripe it still has to be sliced off. Try it!!! :-)
~Jane~
Ok, you got me. I was scrolling past this post (sorry, the peaches, um, just didn't appeal to me...) but then the shots of the running animals jumped out at me, and I started laughing. What awesome photos of them running toward you! It looks like, well, I don't know. Pretty funny stuff though. :)
Fruit? Is that fruit? Gimme some, gimme some!! There's a goat for you. I wandered out to the pasture yesterday with apple pieces and happily offered them to the goatlets who decided I was trying to poison them until the head-doe-in-charge almost ripped my arm off to get them. Gotta love those goats!
Wanted to let you know that we've added you to our reader at www.allthingsgoat.com
Post a Comment