What has no heart, bones, eyes or brain, is made up of 95% water, but is still an efficient ocean predator?
A Jellyfish!
The following photos were all taken with my little Canon PowerShot at the Albuquerque Aquarium last week.
These ‘through-the-glass’ photos were really difficult. Using flash is a no-no because of the glare, and worst of all, the aquarium cleaners don’t use a streak-free formula to clean their windows. You would think fingerprints would be a bigger issue, but instead all the windows have tell-tale streaks and smears. Maybe I should leave a note in the aquarium’s suggestion box?
These tiny Bell Jellyfish are the size of your pinky fingernail. They look like bells, don’t they? They remind me of alien spaceships, too.
Without a brain or eyes, jellyfish rely on nerve cells to help them move and react to food or danger. Sensing organs tell them whether they are heading up or down, into the light or away from it.
This is a Chrysaora Quinquecirrha or Stinging Nettle.
For more macro photography, check out Macro Mondays.
From the Tower of,
29 comments :
you and that little camera of yours... wow!
Very cool, Lisa, very good!
oooooooooooww what scary little creatures! lol
glad you were behind the glass ;)
VERY cool pics!! Those jelly fish are mesmerising to watch, dont you think?
Cool pics, now I cant wait to go back to the Oregon coast Aquarium!
Great shots! Had to be a tough one shooting those!! They can be pretty horrible if you stung by one! We have watched programs on animal planet about them! ouch!!
WHOAH!! You are getting all sorts of crazy pictures these days!! Love it!!
Very cool. If you ever have the chance, take a vacation at Atlantis (Paradise Island). The aquariums are unbelievable. Do, however, take LOTS of money.
Great shots. The first pic looks almost as if they could be little UFO's out in space. Lovely.
I'm very impressed with the clarity of these shots through glass. Not only your excellent camera work, but also the cleanliness of the glass itself - The staff must work very hard at maintaining conditions!
Great shots!!! How on earth did you get them w/o a flash? My camera can't seem to focus w/o the flash when it thinks it needs it.
I was so glad to see pics of "Jellies, Dude!" instead of those plastic sandals that were all the rage for years. :) Sweaty, smelly feet.
My favorites, Awesome creatures! Great pics Lisa! Thanks for sharing. :)
I think you should leave a comment in the suggestion box.
Very COOL!!!!!! A true close encounter..:-)
Hey Masked Man,
Thanks, but maybe you missed the part of this post where I wrote:
"These ‘through-the-glass’ photos were really difficult. Using flash is a no-no because of the glare, and worst of all, the aquarium cleaners don’t use a streak-free formula to clean their windows. You would think fingerprints would be a bigger issue, but instead all the windows have tell-tale streaks and smears. Maybe I should leave a note in the aquarium’s suggestion box?"
You would not believe how I had to position myself to find just a single clear/un-smeared spot to take photographs...and then had to stay still for so long in that spot for a jellyfish to 'pose' for me, that my kidlets got bored and wandered away. lol!
~Lisa
These are beautiful captures! I don't see the smears...only tiney space ships floating around, and then the mothership...gloriuous colours! It shows you, it isn't fancy equipment that does the thing, but the eye and a steady hand!
ronelle
Hey Lisa,
Beautiful pictures but they make my skin crawl.
That is because when we vacationed at Tybee Island, Georgia there were always lots of jellyfish in the water.
When our oldest boy was 5 or 6 he was stung by several and it left these long burned looking places on his little body. We had to take him to the dr.It didn't leave scars thank goodness. Plus he still loved the ocean afterward!
Great pictures.
Pam
Neato - picture of jelly fish always remind me of that old movie, can't remember the name. When the guy has to dive down and disarm the bomb? Anyways that one.
no heart, bones, eyes or brain, is made up of 95% water - but have you ever bitten by one? I have and it hurt!
Joanna,
You commented: "no heart, bones, eyes or brain, is made up of 95% water - but have you ever bitten by one? I have and it hurt!"
You forgot the most important information from my post:
"but is still an efficient ocean predator"
Yes...I have been STUNG (jellyfish do not bite as they have no teeth) by them more times that I'd like to recall. No...it's not pleasant. Ouch!
They are pretty fascinating to look at and learn about, though :)
~Lisa
They do like like alien spaceships!!! lol We have a room at our zoo's aquarium with those types of fish. Like jelly fish and sea horses and it's a pain to try to get pictures. They have blacklight lighting in there. yeah. You're pictures are great though!
Fabulous photos!
They just "spook me" something terrible! One of the reasons I do not go in the ocean!!! Pictures are good under the circumstances!
You are so talented. Beautiful pictures
Wow :) The first pic really does look like a night sky filled with alien craft!
Holy cow! These are great!!!
WOW!
Beautiful! The first shot is my favorite, as they do look like UFOs. I could actually see these images, I'll have to go back and find out if I can see your other photos now.
Jellyfish are such interesting creatures. (That is, unless you jump off a boat and land in a school of them, as I did a few years ago! Ouch! A vacation to remember...)
Lovely jellies! I think they're fascinating, and I'm glad to find that other people do too! :)
Great pics! The stinging nettle gives me the heeby-jeebies.
Great captures..The stinging nettle is awesome..well done:)
Post a Comment