Friday, September 4, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!

 

Today I am another year older. If I were a tree, you’d be able to count 43 rings (or wrinkles?) within my core.

IMG_1076

It always surprises me to say my current age out loud because I still feel like I’m in my twenties, even though my body likes to rudely remind me that I’m not.

(Sid Vicious, our golden-laced, bearded Polish Roo)

IMG_0902 

I was feeling a little down today because my kidlets and I haven’t seen Ranchman John for two months. I drove him to the transportation depot in June and he was able to fly back once in early July.

IMG_9003

But it will still be a few more weeks until we can see him again. Due to the lack of well-paying jobs with good benefits in our area, Ranchman John is on his way to being Truck Driver John. He already passed the tests to get his CDL License and completed the one month company truck training program up in Salt Lake City in July. And now he is currently driving an 18 wheeler cross-country, picking up and making deliveries with a company trainer, building up his hours and truck driving experiences. It really stinks not having him around, but you gotta do what you gotta do in this economy.

(Our first harvest of apples. They are so juicy and sweet)

IMG_0811 

So for my birthday, my kidlets accompanied me for some fun letterboxing in Placitas, Corrales, and Albuquerque. (Photos at a later date) We found five new letterboxes, including a bonus box, and were First Finders for three of them. Whoohooo! And I got to try out my new complimentary Leki Trekker Poles, that were recently sent to me for allowing an internet business (Sports Apparel) to advertise on my blog.

(I will post more about them soon, but for now, I must say they are a huge help for anyone suffering from knee or hip weakness or unbalance. They are awesome on steep, rocky trails, too)

IMG_0976  

We also went to one of our favorite places to visit: the zoo. What a great way to spend the day, and the animals there seemed quite happy to wish me a happy birthday.

They even dressed up for the occasion.

IMG_6957

(I thought this was a black tie affair?)

IMG_6889

(Zzzzzzzzzz)

IMG_1147

(Uh. Could come back to me later, please?)

IMG_1150

I was even serenaded.
Happy Birthday………………..

IMG_1121

To You!

IMG_1129

Happy Birthday……….

IMG_1139

To you!

IMG_6925

You Live in a Zoo!

IMG_6991

You look like a Monkey!

IMG_1103

 

And you smell………….

IMG_6875

Like one, too! (har, har har. I crack myself up!)

IMG_1120

 

(Let me know when the cake is served, please)

IMG_1159

 

(Did someone say ‘Cake’?? Let me at it!)

IMG_1095

 

(Ooops! I was just trying to help you open the package . You didn’t really want this present, did you?)

IMG_1140 

As you can see, my birthday celebration at the zoo was highly entertaining. But that’s not all. I saved the best performance for last!




From the Tower of,

57 comments :

Paint Girl said...

Happy Birthday Lisa!! Looks like you had an amazing day!! Love the zoo pictures! That bird cracked me up!!!
Hope you get to see Ranchman John very soon! That has to be sooo hard!

cherie said...

wel a happy birthday to you, lisa!!! i' d like a slice of the cake, too, please.

City girl turned Country Girl said...

Well Happy Birthday you young lady you!!! It looks and sounds like you had a great day!!!

Leah Fry said...

You sure do get to do a lot of fun stuff. Great story and pix, as usual, Ms. Lisa.

I hear ya: my poor husband has been horribly underemployed for going on 2 years now, and it's hard. Not only that, but the hours are awful and we don't see much of each other either. He's worked 12 hour nights for a year. It's gotta get better.

colleen said...

Happy Birthday Lisa!!! I'm glad you had a good day. Hope Ranchman John gets to come home soon I can imagine how hard it is to be without him. Love to you and the kiddies!

Laura said...

Happy Birthday Lisa!!!!!!!!! I hope you had a nice day with the kidlets. I really like the picture of you and your daughter out on the trail - you guys look great and the scenery is wonderful...

Too bad that Ranchman John has been gone so long (hee hee, that rhymes). He is working for his family and I'm sure he will be home when he can.

Unknown said...

Happy birthday Lisa!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the fun pictures, and Happy Birthday to you!

lisa said...

Oh, good I am the first one today to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Boy do you and I think a like! I don't feel 44 but boy does my body say different sometimes! You will have to e-mail me sometime and I will talk to you about Matt being gone all week!:) I took a similar picture like you did of the log in your first picture! I just didn't post it! You take care and hang in there trucker John will be home before you know it!!

Moms Musings said...

Happy Birthday, glad you had a good day.

Dawn said...

Happy Birthday Lisa- It looks like it was enjoyable!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Happy Birthday!

Lori Skoog said...

Happy Birthday Lisa...your photos today are fabulous (as usual). Hope your husband can get home soon.

Unknown said...

Great pictures and great day! Happy birthday! Have you noticed how they lower the ground a notch each year?

Mrs.C said...

Happy Birthday to you!!! Love the pictures and commentary.

Gail said...

I get to be the first to wish you happy blogging birthday today!

May it be extra special!

ezra_pandora said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!! I know exactly how you feel about being older but not thinking you are, but feeling like you are. lol I try to explain that to my hubby and he just rolls his eyes and doesn't get it. But it's true! I'm glad you are still young at heart and keep giving us such great posts with wonderful pictures! Now I can't post about my zoo trip because your pictures were 100% better. lol I have to be getting myself that kind of camera.

That bird was hilarious.

sonia a. mascaro said...

A Very Happy Birthday to you! My best wishes!

Great photos!

mrscravitz said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I wished I was 43 again! LOL

Shirley said...

Well, happy birthday! Glad you had a wonderful day, even though Trucker John couldn't share it with you.

Christy said...

Happy Birthday Lisa! It sounds like a pretty good day. My birthday was boring but that's ok. It is hard when the spouse is gone for a long time isn't it?

sidetracked said...

Happy Birthday, I don't thikn your old at all!! Your only as old as you feel and you sound great. Have fun for me on your special day

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!!

Great shots from the Zoo BTW AND cute video. Hope you have some more fun today!

And yes trekking poles are very handy for folk with weak knees or ankles! I was considering getting some for Yellowstone - but ran out of cash, which was fine as it turns out I did pretty good without any. Hope you like them!

Mrs. Mom said...

Happy BIRTHDAY LISA!!!!!! We are not getting older- we merely get better and BEETTTTAAAA Baby! ;)

Sounds (and looks) like you guys had an amazing day. Hope Ranchman gets home soon too! Heres hoping he can do a more local run and not be OTR all the time...

Huge birthday HUGS to you!!!

StefRobrts said...

Happy Birthday! 43 rings isn't all that many, you're just a couple rings ahead of me ;)

Sorry to hear the Ranchman has been gone so much. I know what you're talking about, in this economy, any job is a good job.

Reddunappy said...

Ha ha ha, Lisa you crack me up! You are such a nut LOL LOL

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GIRL!!!!!!!!!

Now you are a year older than me LOL

Patches said...

Happy birthday! Looks like you had a great one! LOVED the animals singing! Too funny!!!

Chelsi said...

HAPPPPPPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! You gorgeous thang you!

What a great post too. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my walking poles. They also really helped me get walking again after my knee injury but also help with my back and increase cardio too.

Hope you have a fantastic day!!

*big hugs*

C

cdncowgirl said...

Happy Birthday!!!
((hugs))

Sorry RJ wasn't able to share it with you. I know what that's like, my dad was a long-haul trucker while I was growing up.

BTW (and I hope you take this as a compliment) but really, I thought you were in your mid-late 30's!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!!!! What fun and a great way to use your photos. Darn creative.

Love the sticks. Trekker poles make great sense. How's that knee?

I love birthdays, even if every one puts me in dangerous striking distance of 5-0.

Janice said...

Happy Birthday Lisa. I know what you mean about the age - body thing.Hmm must be the age difference but my head thinks it's about 30 and the body well.....we don't want to go there. Bad news though if you think it's bad now guess what they lied when they said it gets better with age......but really you knew that right....!!!!!!!Sounds like you had a great day.

Dusty Devoe said...

Happy Birthday to you! Looks like your day was as special as you!!!

Esther Garvi said...

Oh Lisa, what a laugh you gave me!
Being away from your loved ones isn't easy!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Happy Birthday! Great pictures. The kangaroo cracked me up. Is Truck Driver John enjoying his new line of work, at least? Does he take a laptop with him so that he can occasionally find some Internet and check out your blogs?

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Lisa!
Loved all the pictures. They were great.
I hope Ranchman John gets back with ya'll soon. but I understand about doing what you need to do.
I know he will make one fine driver!

did you get those hooks for the nestbox I sent?

Have a great weekend.
Pam

Alison said...

Let me add my Happy Birthday to the pile! I've enjoyed all your stories & pictures; just having a good time here. And yeah, I'm facing 40 in the face and am not convinced that it should apply to me, either! Glad to know there's more of us!

Carla said...

Happy, happy birthday to you, my friend!
I'm so glad you were able to make the best of it and have some fun. Your zoo trip and fun stuff with the pictures were great!

You and my baby, James, are almost b'day twins. He'll be 11 tomorrow.

Ali said...

oooo love it! I LOVE the animal photos, that peacock is gorgeous! So brilliant! Happy Happy Birthday!

Rural Writer said...

Happy birthday Lisa! Sorry The Rancher couldn't be there, but looks like you and the younglings got to do some pretty fun stuff!

The Pink Geranium or Jan's Place said...

Happy Birthday to you!!! You live in a zoo.., Oh wait, the critters already sang that song to you!.. anyway Blessings and Birthday wishes sent to New Mexico just for you!

Andrea said...

Happy Birthday to you!!! I hope you had a great day!! Today is my sister in law and my sister's birthday!! It must be a great day!!!

Farmer Jen said...

Happy Birthday Lisa! 43 is young.(I turned 49 two weeks ago) Must be really hard having your man away for so long. I hope you get together with him soon.

Your photos are fantastic as usual. I love the one of the apples and all of the zoo animals. You have a good eye for composition. An artist's eye.

white_lilly said...

Happy Birthday Buddy! Sorry to hear your hubby is still away, I know it would be hard at times. Loved your photos of your special day with your kids.
x0x0x0x0

Cheryl Ann said...

Happy Birthday, Lisa! Enjoy your kidlets, animals, and hubby will be home soon!

Callie said...

Happy Birthday, Lisa! happy, happy birthday! Love the photos!

jane augenstein said...

Lisa, my dear, you don't look a day over 25!!!
What a fun day, even if the hubby couldn't be there, you and the kidlets had at the zoo! Looks like the animals were glad you came to celebrate your birthday with them. Love the beautiful peacock tail!
Happy, Happy Birthday to you!!!!
XO
~Jane

Celeste said...

Happy Birthday Lisa, it looks as though you celebrated it in the best possible way :)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Thank you everyone for the wonderful birthday wishes. I'm so grateful for all of you. I appreciate all the comments and kind words, and especially that you even read my blog at all. I wish I could hostess a huge party and invite all of you over to eat, drink and celebrate at the Laughing Orca Ranch!

If any of you are ever in New Mexico, please let me know. I'd love to meet you and have you visit here, too.

Thanks again!

Hugs and Smooches!
~Lisa

Dan and Betty said...

Happy Birthday youngster. You're young enough to be our child.

Enjoy every day. They get more and more precious as the years continue to roll by.

Dan

MaskedMan said...

Looks like a proper day. :)
But did the serenaders sing in-key?


Great images, as always. ;)

Claire MW said...

Happy Belated Birthday Lisa! Sorry I missed the real day but it looks like you had a great time. I loved the lion's mane - I wonder what that's like to spin?! Such great pictures - the kangaroos are so funny! Also love your Sunday Stills photos. Beautiful work! You should get some of those made into greeting cards or a calendar or something!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Sorry I missed your special day. Very best wishes to you my dear. I enjoyed all your pics, and I know Ed would be terribly jealous of the zoo shots. :)

flowerweaver said...

Now that I can finally see your photos again, I'm catching up. Enjoyed your birthday photos and video. Glad you had such a nice day, and that John will be home soon.

--Sage

KD said...

Happy Belated Birthday to you ! Love the photos and love the way the cockatoo gave a little bow after his performance.

Good luck to Ranchman with the new position. My husband was a long distance truck driver before we got married. He raised his kids by being a truck driver.

gtyyup said...

Happy Belated Birthday to you Lisa!!! It'll be good to have your John back...I feel for you! But, your special day sounded awesome...the kids really have a special mom. (hugs)

The Wades said...

Happy Birthday, Lisa! Way to make the best of your hubby not being around. I can only imagine how hard that is.

Glad you had a fun day. Great commentary from your animal friends.

Katharine Swan said...

Happy belated birthday, Lisa, I'm so sorry I missed it! I loved all the pictures -- the zoo sounds like an awesome place to spend your birthday. The video at the end was great, too -- I especially love how the bird finished his performance by bowing to you and the kids!