The first chicks to be born on Laughing Orca Ranch are now a week old. I figured y’all would appreciate an update.
I think I had forgotten how fast chicks grow. This trio already has their wing feathers and are active and keeping their flustered Mama, Mrs. C very busy indeed!
I love to sit and watch them together and find it so endearing how the chicks react to their Mama when she chirps and clucks to them.
I also think it’s fascinating how our first batch of chicks ordered through New Mexico’s Privett’s Hatchery arrived without their Mama, and did just fine without one.
I must admit that it’s much easier to raise chicks when a Mama hen does all the work of keeping them warm and protected while showing them how to eat and drink.
All I have to do is check for pasty butt, refill water and food containers, and handle them several times a day so they grow up tame and friendly.
I upgraded their chicken condo from a small hamster cage up to a large rabbit cage and they all seem to enjoy the extra space.
They spend their day and night in the chicken house which is such a nice difference this time around. I keep remembering how we had to keep our first batch of chicks in the garage for 3 long months, from October through December) while we built their chicken house. Every weekend Ranchman John and I persistently hammered, screwed, and froze our hands and faces while the bitter wind and snow whipped us senseless. Finally on Christmas Day we were able to move our garage chickens into their new permanent home. So I especially appreciate that our newest chicks can live happily in the chicken house with their Mama hen.
I want to bring them outside during the day for brief field trips, but it’s been very windy and cool the past couple days (temps in the mid 40’s during the day), so I’m going to wait a little longer for a warmer day to introduce the chickies to the great big world.
(Our Welsummer pullet)
I’m planning on using the temporary quarantine chicken pen when they go outside just to be on the safe side.
(Sid Vicious, our Golden-laced, bearded Polish Playboy Roo…….”Who me? The Father? No way, man. It was just one night! I take no responsibility”)
Mrs. Cotton is very protective of her babies, but there are 3 very active chicks and only one of her. I’d feel awful if the little biddies were hurt by any of my adult chickens.
(One of our Silver-laced Wyandotte hens. We think that she, or one of our Barred Rocks, is the ‘birth mom’ of one of the chicks)
So far, the other chickens are very curious, but give Mrs. C and her chicks a wide berth. I find it fascinating that Mr. Cotton seems to be the most interested in the chicks. He spends most of his day perched in the chicken house or laying beside the chick condo keeping an eye on the little biddies and Mrs. Cotton. I’ve read that the Silkie chicken breed tend to be very maternal, but I wonder if that also carries over to the Silkie roosters, too?
For now we’re just enjoying these little peepers. Since my hens have seriously slowed down on their egg laying (only 1-2 eggs a day), having these chicks to enjoy each time I enter the coop, makes up for the lack of eggs.
I hope you enjoyed your Chick Fix today!
From the Tower of,
31 comments :
Fun!
I never raised chiks, though we had more than our fair share of ducklings. I wonder how ducklings and chicks compare?
They are sooo adorable.
Thanks for the update! They are just adorable...have you picked any names for them yet?
Thanks for the update. I loved the pictures of the chicks poking their heads out from under Mom.
Dan
Thanks for the chic fix! LOL love the pictures and the little ones have really grown. Love Mrs. Cotton so beautiful. Lucky you to have baby peepers to watch!!!
hugs........
Jane
So adorable!! They are so stinkin' cute!
Ah, the sight and sound of chickens--my cat enjoyed the video, too. Thank you for my chick fix and for the truly lovely chicken photos.
Sid. Did he not take that class in High School?
:)
They are so adorable. I must stop reading about those chix, or I'm going to go out and set up a coop!
Your chicks are adorable (and your silkies are fab, too!).
I just posted more photos and video of my barred rock hens at my blog, so we can all have a Chick Fix!
Why do I have this overpowering urge to go to KFC?? Sid is still my favorite rooster of all time...:-))
Thanks for the chix fix :)
chickens are so funny. I have never had them myself, but I ordered and took care of hundreds for 7 years at the feed store I worked at, quite the little critters they are! LOL
We also had ducks, Muscovy ducks, they were a lot of fun, they lay tons of eggs! and hatch tons of babies! We sold a lot at a local auction. When our middle daughter left for the military we sold all of them, they were her ducks and the darn drake attacked me for the last time! It was a lot of fun while we had them, I really like Muscovies.
What a happy way to end my day. Beautiful babies you have there.
OH YES thank you for the update and pictures of them!!! They are so CUTE!!! I must say you have some of the neatest chickens!! I mean it's not like I've seen a whole bunch of them but yours are cool!!
I have always loved chickens and always enjoy seeing pix of yours.
Chick Fix AND Chick Flix!
they are soooo cute....great photos....
They are so adorable. It is so much fun to watch chicks hatch and watch the mama hen take care of them. I had my first chicks hatch this summer. Loved reading about your chickens. You have quite a gang! I am looking forward to increasing my flock next spring now that we finally moved to the country.
Chick-O-Rama!
I too have never raised chicks or chickens before! It's so neat to see them!! I have learned a lot bout chickens since coming over here! And I still have to say that Sid is still my absolute favorite!!
Thanks! I needed that! I loved the bit with the little one standing on Mrs. C's back....ahh, and there's the chicken song!!!
Nancy in Iowa
Beautiful little family! That Sid is something else - what a boy!
they are waaaaaaaaaaay too cute Lisa.
I love your Rooster Sid, Im going to have to get me one.
I'll bet those chicks bring you a lot of joy.
So cute! I really enjoyed watching momma hens raise their chicks this year. It was the best thing about having a farm. Finding new homes for the roos was not quite as much fun! Next year I might just let my broody hen sit on golf balls and then slip some day-old pre-sexed chicks from the feed store under her at night.
Just so you know, we didn't check for pasty butt at all, and had them out with their mom on grass within days. I let her take care of the whole thing, and didn't lose a single chick out of the 30 that hatched here this summer!
Ya know, Stef. I had considered just letting them out in the copp right away, but decided not to for several reasons. Our temps have been in the low 20's at night (last night the water buckets had a layer of ice in them, and the wind has been gusting all day long. If they had been born in the Spring, it might have worked out to let them out.
The other reason is that we have to keep our chickens in the coop unless I'm watching them closely. We have stray dogs, cats, and many birds of prey that fly over head. The chicks and Mrs. Cotton wouldn't last a day wandering around outside of the coop, unfortunately. So if I let them out with the rest of the flock in the coop, the poor chicks would be in a smaller confined space with no grass and just dirt and chicken poop to forage on. Not a good alterative for sure.
And finally, Mrs. C is not one of the alpha hens and does get picked on by several of the bigger more bossier hens. I don't want her to have to constantly be fighting to defend her babies and herself.
I suppose I'm just very protective, especially when they are our first chicks and they are so small still.
I think that's great that your hens hatched out 30 chicks on your farm. That's alot! I'd have nowhere to keep all those chickens around here, so I hope no more chickens go broody for a long time! lol!
~Lisa
Love the update on the chickies! They are so dang cute! Mrs. C reminds me of my Golden Retriever when she had all black puppies! LOL
Gosh they grow so fast! Just way to darn cute!
I didn't really plan to have 30 chicks, but some of those hens had their own ideas! :) I had no idea it was so cold there already - it's still pretty nice up here. You might think about making a chicken tractor for them where you could put them out when it's nice and let them scratch around in the grass. It's so much fun to see mom showing them around, and they all run back and snuggle up when they get cold. I can understand why you wouldn't want to lose any though - that would be traumatic!
Congrats to you and Mrs. Cotton on the cuties! She looks so happy, I'm glad you are watching out for her and the little ones. Loved the video! That Sid...tell him there is DNA testing now LOL. So nice that Mr. Cotton is showing his support. Watching peeps is the best entertainment around!
For being 'bird brains', hens are the most amazing mothers! I love watching hens and chicks together--I could waste half a day doing it.
Enjoy!!
So adorable and Mom seems to be doing a great job raising them, with some help from you :)
Love the chicken post yet again. Cute little chicks. Can't wait to see what they all look like when they have all their feathers on!!!!
Deanna
CBFNigeriangoats.com
Post a Comment