I’ve got something to share that’s quite off-topic from what I usually post about here on my ranch blog. But this subject really spoke to me and I wanted to share it with you all and see what you think.
I don’t think I’ve ever considered Christmas creepy, but recently I’ve looked at the holiday from a different perspective.
Both of my twinlings have been following a fascinating 16 year old boy, named Lucas Cruikshank, (the young man in the video below) who has been producing, acting, and editing his own productions on You Tube since he was 12 years old. That might not be such a huge deal until you consider that these videos are making Lucas famous, and not just on You Tube, where each of his videos receives between 1-9 million views and he has his very own channel, but Lucas has also been doing TV and radio interviews, and has walked the red carpet in Hollywood, and even guest starred on Hannah Montana!
And all because of his entertaining creativity and talent involving a humorous character called Fred Figglehorn, posted on You Tube. Lucas, who has been a dancer since the fourth grade, has said in interviews that he would like to be in movies and TV shows, but that his dreams have proved quite challenging seeing as how he lives in Nebraska with his parents, two brothers and five sisters. But things have certainly changed and agents are calling him now.
Check out his Christmas Cash video. Very fun!
One afternoon I curled up with my sons and watched several of his videos, some of his interviews and read as much information on Lucas as we could find, and I have to admit I was impressed and amazed at this young man and how the world has become so much smaller because of the internet, that a talented teenage boy, surrounded by corn fields in Nebraska, could be discovered and possibly have his dreams fulfilled. wow.
So returning to why Christmas is Creepy. It goes back to the old childhood nursery rhymes….many of them quite scary to frighten kids so they don’t misbehave. Santa Claus seems like a jolly, friendly guy…..but if it weren’t for parents convincing us that a huge, hairy fat man sliding down our chimney while we are asleep is a great thing to happen…….I’m sure we would have had nightmares!
And let’s not even discuss how traumatic it might be to actually catch Mommy kissing that fat, hairy man while he’s in our house delivering presents.
And yeh, Frosty coming to life sounds great in theory, too. But when he’s standing outside our house at night and staring into our window with his beady little eyes, that might be a little bit creepy.
Then there’s Rudolph with his blood-red nose. Maybe the other reindeer who refused to play with him, know something we don’t.
And what about poor Grandma being ran over by those reindeer?
And I still recall the nightmares I had after watching The Christmas Carol when I was a young child. I imagined my own Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Yet to Come visiting me while I was asleep. Now that was creepy!
And we all can agree that retailers have turned the magic of Christmas into a nightmare with all the commercialization, right?
Well, check out this funny video produced by Lucas. My kids love it and I have to admit, even though the words are weird, being that Lucas’s voice is sped up to play the part of his silly character Fred Figglehorn, the music and beat is great. (I’ve even got it on my playlist, I like it so much. lol!)
Now, Lucas is barely old enough to drive or work a job, yet, through merchandising and selling advertising space online, he has already made over $14,000 in just one year, and that’s only working about 5 hours a week creating his weekly videos to place on You Tube.
Lucas Cruikshank has a true entrepreneurial spirit………and that’s not creepy at all.
31 comments :
Wow. I'm impressed. His sense of humor reminds me of Weird Al Yankovich.
Love the pictures! Funny kid and a smart one too, he will probably be a millionaire! hum, I guess I never thought about Christmas being creepy when I was a kid, but you have a point!
:-)
All sorts of funny stuff on your blog today. Loved the videos AND photos! The chicken is a bit creepy:)
oh lisa...love the critters decked out for the holidays. i appreciated your asking about me...you were the only one and it meant a lot.
i am slowly coming back to posting but still, have so much on my plate.
take care...and many hugs
Neat story! I've never heard of the kid, but it's incredible how the internet makes it possible for people to reach out and find fans for their talents, and for fans to reach out and be connected to the artists themselves. It's an amazing world we live in!
Great creative photos Lisa. Thanks for sharing about Lucas. That's amazing!
If Christmas were only the songs you referenced, I agree it would be creepy. Fortunately, we also have "Joy to the World," "O Come All Ye Faithful," "Hark the Heralds Angels Sing," and "Silent Night."
Those songs take the creepy out of Christmas for me.
Great and funny pictures.
Dan
PS: We're leaving tomorrow so it may be a few days before I can comment again. Merry Christmas.
Always good for a chuckle.
You so funny !
Loved your blog today....And the pictures! All your critters look so cute in the Christmas decor! Well....except the chicken! HAHAHA
I hadn't thought about that "Grandma got run over by a reindeer" song in ages. Your post made me laugh. Very creative pictures.
I have seen him on iCarly. It's amazing how much you can accomplish with a little determination and spunk.
As for the pictures? Well done. They gave me quite a few chuckles after a long day at work.
That's so cool. Amazing what farm kids will think up. LOL
Work those photos, girl! All Colt wants for Christmas is cash too. I just can't bring myself to give him an envelope and everyone else nicely wrapped gifts. I think he gets joy out of unwrapping gifts whether he admits it or not.
"but if it weren’t for parents convincing us that a huge, hairy fat man sliding down our chimney while we are asleep is a great thing to happen"
LOL!!!
OMG, I came back a second time so that I could watch the videos.
Then I checked out YouTube. That kid is hilarious!!! What talent, and what a great sense of humour!
I have never even heard of this kid before, and he's hilarious! I think it's pretty cool that he has done this, very creative too!
Love, love, love your photos!! So cute!!
Well said! Ever hear Christmas at ground zero by Wired Al Yankovik? Now thats a great christmas song..:-))
p.s. Love the Beeker x-mas pic the best..
You put a smile on my face this morning. Very cute pictures. :)
I love the photos of the gang! Great shots and photoshopping! So cute...
I think this kid is amazing - good for him to be seizing his dreams and making them happen at such a young age.
Lisa, you are in a silly mood, huh?
My kids laugh hysterically at Fred. He now has his face on t-shirts at Journeys---a hip teen clothing store.
I guess living in the middle of corn fields can force creativity. :)
Lisa...you are a techie master! Fabulous photos. Now I am going back to watch the videos.
I just adore your hilarious pictures of your critters all decked out for the holidays. I can't view the videos (I'm at work) so I'll have to do that later. You have made me want to go home and play with pictures of my critters too!
WOW...he is very talented, to be sure!
I really laugh watching most of his stuff...and when he screams! Too funny!
I love all your cute little Christmassy animals!
Kac
Great post, Lisa. Love your gussied-up animal photos. I'm glad to have met Fred, and am off to spread his fame around Facebook!
O.K. I got bored and actually watched a couple of his videos and found them strangely entertaining. But he kinda reminds me of Chris Tucker in the 5th Element, and why all the screaming??:-)
We saw him on iCarly too. Talent like that just jumps up and demands to be heard - and the internet is a great leveler.
:)
watch out for random cane attacks.
Wow, that kid sure is talented...three different kinds of animation in one video? Plus, with 10 people in the house, I'm just impressed he manages to find space and time to shoot a video without someone wandering in!
Being that Columbus, Nebraska is only 50 miles from me, you would think I'd have heard of him! I'll have to ask the kids. They know everything! :)
Love your pictures!!!
I never knew he even existed. Thanks for opening my eyes to a pop phenom. I'm telling ya, there's always something to be learned on your blog.
Have a creepy Christmas. :)
Post a Comment