Sunday, January 3, 2010

Sunday Stills ~ Food

 

Well when life hands you lemons, you make lemonade. And in my case, when life hands me almost 10” of snow, I make Snow Cream!

This is the view I woke up to on New Years Eve morning. This is looking west, from our house at 7,000ft elevation, in the mountains of Central New Mexico, up towards our little barn on the hill. (Those are actually steps between the trees and the bird feeders) 

IMG_6660

My mare stood patiently waiting for me to give her her morning apple and carrot.

IMG_6677

After I fed her and the llamas, goats, sheep and chickens, I scooped up some fresh, clean, white snow. (Note: Make sure your snow is not yellow!)

IMG_6767

Then milk is added, a little at a time, while stirring until the snow becomes clumpy. Then a few teaspoons of pure vanilla and about a 1/2-1 cup of sugar is mixed in, depending upon the amount of snow that is gathered.

IMG_6773

Stir it all together until it’s creamy, but still thick. I prefer it to not be runny like a shake. More milk can be added in small amounts at this point, too, if the ice cream is too thick.

IMG_6769 

Feel free to taste the snow cream before serving. Add more vanilla, sugar or milk, to taste. Then it’s time to scoop the snow cream into bowls and dig in!

IMG_6770

If you’d like, you are welcome to dine al fresco at my table, in one of my fluffy, well-padded chairs.

IMG_6658

(Oh, and those brown things on our bedroom balcony wall are electric luminarias. Here in New Mexico they are very common, both the electric style and the traditional paper bags filled with sand and small candles.) 

And if you don’t believe me that snow cream is just as good (or even better) than store bought ice cream, you can ask my mare, Baby Doll just how good it is. She’s on her second bowl already.

“More please!”

IMG_6694

Check out Sunday Stills to sample the food photography of other folks, too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And here is my Project 365 photo for today.

IMG_6736

 

46 comments :

Horses Are Our Lives said...

I have never had snow cream! and having it al fresco would seem very appropriate! My horses lick at the snow, too!
http://picturesbybrenda.blogspot.com

Sally said...

Mmmmmm, yummy! I've got the snow, just might have to give that a try.

Anonymous said...

Baby Doll doesn't look too unhappy about the snow!

TxFarmhouse said...

Yeah, right! I can just see my big butt plopped down in one of those chairs filled with snow. That would be a sight. But the snow cream?..sure, dip me up a scoop!
Now, do you mean yellow like something pee'd on it? That would be yuk..a flavor I would not like.

Anonymous said...

Well now this is something new! All my years living up North my Granny never made me snow cream! Boy, did I miss out, looks like a fun dish. :)

Gail said...

Snow ice cream was always a tradition at our house, but we waited for the second snow. Dad wanted the impurities out of the air. We would place a large bowl or dishpan out in the snow and catch it straight from the sky.

Enjoy! I can taste it.

lisa said...

That snow cream sure does look like it is cold and good! Baby doll is such a cutie, love the expression!

Holly said...

the things you learn! I have lived in Pennsylvania for my whole life and never had snow cream!

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

yum, the snow cream looks great. Yes, I like your 365 photo.

Unknown said...

Snow cream brings back some fond childhood memories! My mom used to make it for me and my brother and it was so good!

small farm girl said...

I love snowcream! We use to make it as kids all the time.Your post brought back some memories. Thanks
sfg

Mama of 4 Blessings said...

Sounds good! Have a bowl for me please, we won't be getting any snow here in Gatorland;) Loved the picture for 365! Have a good one")

colleen said...

So very cool! If we ever get that much snow I'm going to have to give it a try, the kids would love it just as much as BabyDoll.

Love your shot for 365!

Leah Fry said...

The al fresco photo made me LOL -- you get the glory for being the first today :-)

Shirley said...

Now that's a new one! Bet it would be good topped with some fruit too! Love the snow color in the first Baby Doll pic, and the last one of her is cute.

Deb said...

Lisa...great photos...I remember snow icecream...when I was a kid...our neighbor who was from the north made us snow icecream the few times it actually snowed here in Texas....

Lori Skoog said...

Lisa...I never heard of this snow cream. It looks great and I love the vanilla flavor.

Boy, have you been hit with snow. We are having frigid temperatures here with a lot of lake effect blowing.

The pictures for the past few days are your usual fantastic. I especially like the ones with all your critters together by the gate.

By the way...is this a typical winter for you?

jane augenstein said...

Your snow ice cream looks yummy! We don't have enough snow here, yet, to make some. I usually make it every year that we have enough snow. I will really have to watch where I scoop snow; since we have 5 dogs!!!! I sure don't want to pick up any "yellow" snow! LOL
Your snow pictures are beautiful! The last one is really neat!
enjoy the snow!!!
XO
Jane

Kateri said...

I thought snow cream was something my parents made up when I was little. I had no idea that other people made it too! :)

flowerweaver said...

This brought back a forgotten memory of my mom making snow cream when we got an unexpected snow in California when I was 3. My favorite photo is the one of the fluffy chairs! Somewhere in my archive is a similar photo taken of a stone picnic table and benches in the mountains of North Carolina, only instead of snow it was thick green moss! I would have loved to have set the table and invited fairies!

Unknown said...

send some snow our way!! Stupid lake doesn't want to let it snow enough for me to use my sleigh!!!

Celeste said...

This one is for you Lisa - :)

Dreamed I was an Eskimo
Frozen wind began to blow
Under my boots and around my toes
The frost that bit the ground below. It was a hundred degrees below zero...

And my mama cried
And my mama cried
Nanook, a-no-no
Nanook, a-no-no
Don't be a naughty Eskimo
Save your money, don't go to the show

Well I turned around and I said "Oh, oh" Oh
Well I turned around and I said "Oh, oh" Oh
Well I turned around and I said "Ho, Ho"
And the northern lights commenced to glow
And she said, with a tear in her eye
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow"
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow"

Rebekah said...

Ooooh, that snow cream looks good! I'd sure like to try some! Over here in sunny southern California we've been having weather between the 60's and 70's - no snow for us!! LOL!

Oh, and your al fresca table and chairs sure look nice and comfy!! ;)

Janice said...

Well go figure,you learn something new everyday.I have lived with the winter snow all my life and I have never heard of such a thing.

Tracey said...

Lovely winter scenes, Lisa. No snow this winter for us at this point and I'm hoping it stays that way...I'll just enjoy every one else's photos!

cdncowgirl said...

"make sure your snow isn't yellow"
lmao

Haven't had snow ice cream in years. I remember my grandma using an old fashioned ice cream churning bucket and adding strawberries to hers. Yum!

I love the simplicity and beauty of your 365 photo! :)

cdncowgirl said...

If you don't want to post this its okay... just thought you'd see it sooner this way.
Re your comment on my blog - my advice to learning to drive your trailer? Get out and drive it. Unloaded at first. If you can, go to an empty parking lot and use all that nice big space to practice maneuvers. Bring some cones or bales or something to set up some obstacles. You can practice all you want with very little risk of damage :)
Another tip... take a ride in the back of your trailer. It really makes you appreciate what our ponies go through!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pics, amazing snow and you have me stunned with your snow cream! I have never had it before!
A happy 2010 to you
Ronelle

Mom L said...

Darn - I've got acres of white snow outside! While I was snowbound - and out of ice cream - I never would have thought of making my own! Of course, I was out of vanilla, running low on milk, but hey! I could have figured something out!! I'll have to try it soon.

Nancy in Iowa

Anonymous said...

Snow cream is a new thing for me. But I can't have that for now since southern Texas is still pretty cool.

Uri

thecrazysheeplady said...

Woohoo! Snow ice cream. My favorite and I'll eat it every night while the snow lasts...when we get it. Great shots!

Anonymous said...

Long time since I've had snow ice cream. Looks yummy. I love the shots of your horse, what a ham.

WhimsybyMari said...

Snow Cream is Wonderful.

DesertHen said...

What a fun and yummy treat to make! We made it once when we lived in Idaho years ago. It had snowed something awful over night and when we woke up the world outside was winter white with 2 feet of snow! The kids loved the snow "ice" cream when we made it.

All of our snow is gone now. Didn't take long to melt away as we are only getting 2 or 3 inches at a time.

Desert Rose said...

Does it taste like ice milk??? You used to be able to get it at the grocery store and I actually liked it better than Ice cream. But alas they don't make it anymore...and I have NO SNOW!!! Jesse and Lady would also love it cause they love snow too!!!
Your snow looks so white!!!

Anna Larson said...

My side of New Mexico didn't get that much snow. I've only got 2-3 inches compared to you. We just got a lot of cold weather.

Patrinas Pencil said...

I loved everything about this post! The photos are stunning. The snow cream makes me hungry, and Baby Doll looks a little drunk in that last picture. You sure you used just vanilla?

It's amazing how you have so much to do around your place and yet you still find time for fun. I like that! Good job.

Thanks, also for making me smile.

Patrina

City girl turned Country Girl said...

I have always LOVED eating snow!! Of course only the white stuff LOL!! I have always added sugar but not the others so I will definitely be trying that soon!!! I hope you thaw out soon! We are pretty frozen here!

cdncowgirl said...

Quick question... how do you get your new blog posts to show up on Twitter the way they do?

Ed said...

Very cool, baby doll looks happy and the chairs look very comfortable but you may get a cold bum..:-)

gtyyup said...

Great post Lisa! Boy you got a lot of snow in one night! Totally beautiful though.

The snow cream's a great idea...yummy! And your dining facilities look oh so comfy...but maybe a lil' bit chilly!

Michelle said...

Snow cream? Mmmm...sounds yummy. I'm sure Tiny would approve. And I love the project photo! Wow, stunning.

Jocelyn said...

Snow Cream ! YUMMY!

I will so give that a try next time it snows !

Far Side of Fifty said...

I first heard about snow cream about a year ago from a southern blogger..I had never heard of it before..and we have lots of the raw material available! I loved your balcony shot..great capture of a cozy little spot to rest!! LOl..love your sense of humor gal!! :)

KD said...

Yummy - you are so creative!

The Wades said...

Who knew?

You cracked me up offering to let us sit down in your chairs. Hee hee. Man, you guys sure got a lot of snow! Crazy what a difference from Albuquerque.