Monday, February 8, 2010

Fowl Weather

 

The chickens are getting a little fed up with our snowy weather.

IMG_7976

I work hard at keeping at least a section of their coop shoveled and covered with straw to keep their feet warm, so they can spend a little time outside of their chicken house.

IMG_7960

Usually we get a reprieve from winter storms for a week or more, so the snow has time to melt, but this isn’t happening.

IMG_7964

 

And so, the piles of snow, that I keep shoveling to keep some of the coop open, just grows taller and taller.  I think the chickens are starting to get stir-crazy being confined to their smaller space.

IMG_7955 

I know I am, too. I can’t even get my rear-wheel drive van out of our driveway and haven’t been able to drive it for over two weeks. Ranchman John thought he could get it out, but it promptly got stuck as soon as we backed it out of the garage. It wasn’t worth trying to get it down the driveway after that because our driveway is long and winding, and un-cleared, and so is our road that leads out to the county road. So, I’m thankful we at least have Ranchman John’s GMC 4-wheel drive truck to get out to the store and wherever we need to go. But we’re still spending most of our time at home. Just like the poor chickens.

IMG_7980

Poor Sid is having to prove his rooster manliness more often to his two young progeny roos and to Mr. Cotton, our Japanese Silky adult rooster.

IMG_7951

He spends a lot of time crowing and strutting his stuff these days, but at least they are all getting along so far.

IMG_7950 

Now if only we can get a long enough reprieve from these weekly snow storms, so that our mountains of coop snow can melt and give these poor fowl a break from this foul weather.

 

PS It snowed off and on all day both Sunday and Monday. In fact it’s snowing right now. That darn groundhog!

21 comments :

Unknown said...

Sounds like we won't have to travel far to build a snowman...

It does explain the term "cooped up" though.

Sid looks splendid!

Unknown said...

Great blog, so glad I stopped by! :)

Your birds are beautiful and look very content despite the mounds of accumulating snow. lol

I live in NC, and while we haven't gotten a smidgen of the amount you have, my chickens and ducks are about to go nuts. Between the snow, ice, and rain, they haven't been able to roam the ground much lately. My cochin roo, Charlie, and Naked Neck roo, Pee Wee have not been getting along well at all. lol

Well anyways...there's my ramble in a comment!

Rising Rainbow said...

Lisa, I'm with you on the weather. No snow here but we're swimming in our driveway. If we don't get a break soon, we'll be washed away.

Haven't been able to ride in days and I'm getting quite cranky. I feel cooped up just like your chickens.

small farm girl said...

I'm hating that groundhog right now too. We are under a Winter Storm Warning right now.(again)It's snowing like crazy. Our chickens haven't seen the real sun in a few days. I guess our electric sun (light bulb) will have to do for a while.

Take care and stay warm.

Leah Fry said...

No cabin fever allowed, miss! How's the hunt for the perfect pony coming?

Lori Skoog said...

Of course your shots are great! The poor chickens...you are a thoughtful Mom giving them a place to get outside. Two weeks without a car can't be easy. How many days til spring?

Unknown said...

poor chickies are probably wondering what the heck is going on with all that snow.

Carla said...

You are such a good chicken momma!!
Is it time for some groundhog stew??

Shirley said...

Looking at the pics of Sid crowing, I was thinking it would be neat to hear him too, then there was the video!
You sure do have a lot of snow!

Jocelyn said...

i hate cabin fever. I was sick from tuesday until Monday and was in the house 90% of the time.
ugh!

I am suprised the chickens havent starting pecking on each other !

The Good Life in Virginia said...

your chickens look beautiful in the sunlight. i know i am feeling cooped up a bit on weekends (it has snowed the last couple of). and, we do not venture out as the road into our development isn't cleared until 2-3 days after the event and even then half-a--ed.
oh well. more snow today and next week.
other than that...we are happy!

Dan and Betty said...

Great pictures. I'm sure your chicks are getting a little "cooped up" feeling.

Dan

allhorsestuff said...

Oh man am I sorry for this snowed in stuff for you this year. We did that last year> With animals..tis tons of work to keep them from going crazy..and I guess, if you did not have them -you might! Hope it warms up for you soon Liss!!
Kac
PS
Oh...I think Lytha mentioned that in Germany they thought it was a "Mole" that told the weather- HAHA! We may feel like that ground hog thinks he wants US to be moles about now...let us make stew of him and be done with him!

Anonymous said...

Hey Lisa,
That is a lot of snow! I still haven't seen any snow in these parts in years.
I enjoyed the video and even called my husband in here to watch. He especially like seeing the nest box in the chicken house in the pictures! He said to tell you that ya'll have a mighty fine chicken house and chickens too!
He was also amazed that Sid is nothing like our ex-Bad Boy Rooster.
I am so very ready for spring time and I know you all are also.
Have a great day.
Pam

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

All this snow is making me a bit manic-depressive. This morning I drove to work through such thick fog that I felt like my truck and I were spiraling into a tunnel of depression. Then while I was resting in the back of my truck over my lunch break, the sun punched through the clouds shining down on me and melting loads of snow off the roofs. I finally started feeling hope that spring is coming.

Susan said...

Your chickens will do fine. You made meal time interesting for them, they got some sunshine, and their human is admiring them. But I know what you mean. When the weather is really bad here, my chickens stay in their house, and when it's really cold, they take turns huddling under the heat lamp.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

If you need anything, call me. I go to town every day.

The Wades said...

You title--awesome. Also loved Dan's comment about being cooped up. Sorry you guys are so socked in. I bet it's going to be beautiful come summer---so green. It's almost here. Hang in there.

DesertHen said...

Wow!! That is a mountain of snow in the coop!! I'm sorry all of you are snowbound!! Stay warm and safe!

Deb said...

what you need is Al Gore with a little of that global warming he is so fond of...

Michelle said...

At least you finally convinced those "chickens" to come out of hiding! Hopefully one day you'll see bare ground again.....although careful what you wish for! Might go from feet of snow to feet of mud!