Last week was super-duper busy preparing for my first American Competitive Trail Horse Association CTC.
The theme for the “Wild Bunch Meets Hole in the Wall Gang” ride was 1880’s costumes. I decided to be Dana Crockett, a trapper gal. I cut the tail off of an old coonskin hat and pinned it to my riding helmet. And I bought some fringe and sewed it to a brown jacket that I took from my closet. Then I hot-glued white mohair from my angora goat and wool from my black karakul sheep onto a strip of old white sheet, so it would look like animal fur/skins. I realized I should test it out on Apache before the ride just to be sure she was ok with the white sheet and black and white fur flying all around behind her.
I took her for a walk, with the gusts of wind helping me flap the furs up and down and back and forth and she wasn’t concerned in the least. When we were through, she gave me her honest opinion, that my worries over her being spooked by the furs, were just plain silly.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Jenna and I also decided it would be fun to use some of her paint to leave a handprint on Apache’s rump, as if she had been an Indian pony trade for some of “Dana Crockett’s” furs. It also fit in nicely with this week’s Sunday Still’s Challenge of ‘Hands’.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Something else we were busy working on last week was overcoming Apache’s trailering issues. She and I spent several hours together every day working on getting her to step into the trailer willingly. In the beginning it was very frustrating making the outside of the trailer very uncomfortable for her and the inside of the trailer peaceful and inviting. But she’s a sensible horse and very smart and it didn’t take too long for her to ‘get it’. I am now able to walk her quietly and calmly into the trailer, but my goal is too teach her to self-load, so we still have more work to do.
I was still a little concerned that Apache might not load for me on Friday, when I planned to drive her down to Cedar Hill Farm for the CTC ride on Saturday, so after talking with my friends Colleen and Renee, they offered to help if I needed it. So at least knew I had a safety net. In fact, Renee offered to swing by on Friday afternoon on her way down to Cedar Hill Farm, just in case I did end up needing any help.
And on Friday morning, after getting all of Apache’s tack, hay, feed, buckets, and supplies loaded, I was a little concerned because, on the other side of our paddocks, we are getting new neighbors and they were busy making lots of noise with front end loaders hauling dirt and a semi-truck bringing in their modular home.
(The view from my bedroom balcony)
(The view from our backyard)
But apparently the noise didn’t bother Apache, because we all had a good laugh after I haltered Apache and she and I simply walked right into the trailer quickly and easily. Renee teased me by saying, “And why am I here?” lol!
Apache says, “No problem. I like it in here now. My Mom leaves me carrots, apples and treats for me to eat”
And then we were on our way!
To Be Continued…….
21 comments :
You are so creative! I love what you did with the mohair and black wool...it looks great on Apache. Your life sure is different than it was a few months ago! Look at that sweet girl on the trailer!
Well I had thought about attending, but It appears that I've got far bigger things to worry about then getting "the Bug" in shape this year. Sounds like it's all started out good.
Yay! Sometimes it's just a rythmn they forget. Sometimes it's just not sure if they can avoid it. (That was Lily) Sometimes its just so different than what they used to ride in (That was Cibolo's issue).
And the answer everytime is patience. Just like life, right?
(Well, that and carrots)
Sounds like a great start to the weekend!
Thats so cute. I love that handprint.
Indigo and I are having some trailering issues. It's not getting in or out, it's once shes in shes totally restless and wants back out NOW! Though she respects me and will stay in the trailer she does a tappy toes dance on the spot nervous bit. Last night she was in the trailer without doing it for a good 10 minutes. If I let her go she hops right back out then hops back in again with me. I just hate trailering her someplace and we get there and shes sweaty because shes nervous. I don't know why. Our trailer is HUGE and a stock trailer so it's always bright and open.
Grand job! I like her part of the costume and it seems like you have the trailering issues now being non-issues.
I bet you had a glorious ride! Looking forward to part two!
so glad she cooperated....
Sounds like you're doing fine. Keep up the good work.
Dan
I love your furs! and Apache's reaction to them. If you ever get tired of her, she can have a home in WI :)
I can't wait to hear how the rest of your trip went. I have heard about those competitive trail rides and they looks like a lot of fun!
You are such a creative woman! I love the furs, and the hand print. And, I love how easy it was to teach Apache that the trailer was a good place. You have a gem there.
I can't wait to hear "the rest of the story."
Sounds like it's going to be a blast!!!
Trailering.. ugh!
~Jeni
YAY that you got Apache to appreciate the peace of her trailer!! That is so awesome! Love the handprint on the butt. You two are rocking and rolling!
I can't wait for more. Really great job getting Apache decked out and on deck.
That's a great way of making pelts and it's real fur, well, wool, too!
Hope you had fun!
Ah yes, that was Apache's butt. I read your blog through and RSS Feed of oldest to newest, so I didn't see this post until after seeing the Sunday Stills post. So, are your new neighbors setting up their home right up against your property line? I get frustrated over how every new neighbor has to spend the first year fixing up their house and property, so the painting and roofing and backhoe-ing is non-stop. Hopefully, once they get the modular home set up, they can settle into some nice, quiet gardening. Even if Apache isn't disturbed by it, I'm sure it is disturbing to the humans in the neighborhood.
hey Lisa,
Sorry I've been away. My computer crashed - actualy died - DEAD!!
It took a while to get my new one.
So, I'm playing catch up!
I love the new blog format. Love Apache's picture on your header!
And the 'hand brand' is incredible! I love it!! Looks like it belongs there :)
Sounds like things are going great with Apache... She is a Great horse.
Hugs,
Patrina <")>><
uuuhhhh she's such a good girl.Looking forward to to the rest.
Lisa, you are so lucky to have your own trailer! I wish I had one, don't know if Gilly will load this year or not. My neighbor has a trailer but seldom will hook up her truck so we can practice loading, her horse will not load either but she doesn't seem to be in any hurry to teacher. so if she is playing trailer loading I can't; very frustrating!!!!
I would love to take Gilly places to trail ride, they have lots around here in state parks and on peoples farms but I can't get there! :-(
Love the furs, can't wait to see your outfit. Hand print is cool too, real Indian pony!!!
hugs....
(love your trail saddle, it's probably more comfortable then mine!)
Jane
Looks like fun ~ and Apache is such a good girl
The hand print is awesome...
I am reading most current back today... anxious to hear about the obstacles! You all look great!
The handprint on Apache is AWESOME!! The adventure begins..:-)
Post a Comment