Yesterday, my kidlets were helping me cut down the old juniper tree that split in half and fell over sideways during one of our last heavy, wet snowstorms.
Jeremiah was a pro at using my Fiskars Hand Saw.
Jax even came out to help when he found out how much fun we were having. Who knew hard work could be so fun?
Between the three of us, we disassembled the old juniper in no time at all.
Afterwards Jenna joined us and we carried all the branches up to The Woolies’ paddock, as the goats, llamas and sheep will enjoy eating the bark and needles.
The wind was picking up by the time we were done, but we saw our neighbor friend Val out hand-grazing her horses and Jenna wanted to give Nadia and Yalla! some carrots, so we walked over and visited for a little while until we were shivering from the cold.
Then around 3 am I was awakened by powerful gusts of wind slamming into my tower bedroom along with flashes of lightning, and the machine-gun like sound of hard blowing rain hitting the walls of the house. Wind like that is always unsettling to me and I wasn’t able to get back to sleep until almost 5am.
I woke up feeling old, tired and sore from all the physical exertion of cutting down the tree, along with some Spring Cleaning I did in the garage and up in the barn and paddocks, too. But the day was grey, chilly and windy, so I didn’t feel bad about taking the day to rest in bed while looking out my window onto my bedroom balcony.
But I was none too happy about Old Man Winter paying us a visit today.
(The view from our house looking up towards our pasture and paddocks)
And I know the chickens weren’t either.
But Mrs Cotton didn’t mind at all because she’s feeling broody again and is laying on 3 eggs.
Note: I did manage to take a photo for Grey Horse Matters so she could see Phyllis Diller, our Buff-Laced Polish hen. Arlene of Grey Horse Matters was worried that Phyllis Diller wasn’t around anymore. But as you can see, Phyllis Diller is alive and well, except for looking a little damp and limp from the rain and snow. (By the way, did you notice that our hen Phyllis has grown spurs? I thought only roosters had spurs. We know Phyllis is a hen because she lays eggs and doesn’t crow, but why the spurs?)
Some of our early Spring flowers looked limp and sad about the snow, too.
Our apple trees are just beginning to blossom.
And our poor peach tree is already covered in lovely pink blooms……now coated in a layer of ice and snow.
This will not turn into a good outcome for our summer peach crop at all. The chances of us having any fresh juicy peaches this year are slim now. It’s such a sad situation I could cry.
Even worse I feel terrible for Apache because she was soaking wet and shivering when we went up to her paddock to bring her into the barn. She’s not used to our mountain weather yet, being that I brought her up from the Rio Grande Valley, and she’s mostly shed out now, too.
I meant to buy her a blanket when I ordered my saddle, but figured the worst of our winter weather was over. Poor sweet girl.
Jax had to climb up to the roof to brush the wet snow off our Direct TV Dish so we could watch TV with a clear signal.
Just think……….Last week I spent the afternoon with my chickens, reading and relaxing in my camp chair enjoying 78 degree temps. I even ended up with sunburn. And a few days ago we had thick fog and heavy rains.
Weather can always be a little unpredictable up here above 7,000ft in the mountains, but I think most folks would be surprised that New Mexico can have springtime weather like this.
Sometimes even I am, too.
29 comments :
OH NO!! I would SO be screaming!! I hate Winter as it is....And interfering with Spring is just a big NO NO! I hope you don't lose your plants!!
Mother nature, isn't she just sooo unpredictable! Looks like it won't last though which is a good thing!
Wishing you warm breezes and blue skies soon!
Sandy
Your peach tree just might make it! I love that last photo...and Ms. Diller is quite a looker. Can't Apache go in the barn when she wants? Those severe weather changes are so bad in the colic department...I'd get a blanket...they are probably having great sales about now.
I did not know that woolies like to eat pine needles. May your day warm up!
Sorry to hear about your winter weather again! Oh, your poor fruit trees!!! I would be so upset about that but maybe they will come out of it and not have too much damage.
Apache is probably wondering what the heck is going on with the weather, I just lost all my fuzzy coat and now I need it again???
Hope spring shows up again and stays this time! :-)
hugs....Jane
I know that I'm very surprised. I'll be interested to see how your year progresses. I wonder how hot it gets there?
Blah gross weather. We are normally done all snowstorms by mid March for sure.
So sorry to hear that winter will just not go away! We've had crazy weather too - as high as 90 and then in the 40s. I'm ready for it all to be done with! Maybe you can pick up an inexpensive blanket for Apache on Craigslist just to have something on hand. I've got a couple of ratty ones for just that type of situation. Any idea what size she is?
Oh no! I'm so sorry about your fruit crop and your poor Apache.
Hopefully, it will all be gone by this morning and you can get back to springtime again.
PS..My favorite hen has spurs.
Lisa, this is such a lovely photo essay about life at your place.
Wild winds last night in eastern NM (we're up here for the week). Can't wait to get back to warmer weather.
I guess there is a price to pay for living at such an elevation. One of my blogger friends in California got snow too. Too weird that there is snow there and lovely weather here. Maybe you could move to Canada!
Ah, but orchardists up this way actually spray water on the blossoming trees when things start to freeze up--I think the theory is that the buds then stay at 32 degrees, instead of going any colder...
Hope not too much damage was done, especially to the spring-time state of mind.
It snowed all night and morning on Thursday here, and then most of it melted Thursday afternoon. This morning I was sloshing around in mud and deep water puddles. The ground is obviously going to be too slippery to ride this weekend.
This happened in Sweden too... The weather is really strange these days... Sending you a big hug from Tunisia!
Ugh, stupid frost... I don't care for it much either. I'm just greatful that I can look out my window right now up here in upstate NY and have blue skies and green grass. (: Poor Apache. :( It's hard when then weather turns on us like this, especially to the horses, because they're almost all shed out! (of course, except for my pony, because he takes until LATE JUNE until he finally is all the way shed out... Silly pony...)
~Lydia
That is some weird weather! That would drive me crazy.
If you ever find out about the spurs on your hen, please post about it. I have a hen with spurs too.
For PEte's sake it's almost MAy!
Note to self: Do not go visit Lisa unitl Late Summer :)
Oh, you have been kicked in the pants with this weather. Hopefully, the blooms will be okay. I have heard ice is better than just cold air.
Wonderful pictures again.
It makes you proud to see these young men work hard.
Well not to rub it in or anything but we have been having some decent weather. Sorry about your fruit trees. Ah the vet. Glad to hear Apache is all caught up on everything. That mare is as lucky to have found you as you were to find her.
Lisa girl,
This is so ironic... I was just telling someone toaday about you and all the snow - that you can even have snow in May - and here you go again!~ :) I wouldn' t be happy about losing the peach crop either!! How sad!!!
Patrina <")>><
His watchman on the wall
Your weather is so unpredictable. I really hope the fruit trees get a good harvest. Apache is so adorable. Thanks so much for putting up a picture of Phyllis, I hadn't seen her in a while and was wondering. She's a unique looking gal and I get such a kick out of her pictures.
p.s. thanks for the comment on my blog. when i had to travel long distances to a show I always brought my own portable (camping) facilities with me and put it in the trailer. Give it a try it's worth the comfort.
Linked over here from Grey Horse Matters and found we have much in common...except weather! I would have never imagined Michigan would have better weather than NM this time of year.
Two kids, homeschool, horses, camping, etc. And I too am trying to get our family out to the country so we can have chickens!! (If that can't happen soon enough I'm thinking about building a coop that looks like a playhouse and trying to sneak them in to the neighborhood!)
Hope your peach trees make it!
So THAT'S where all this #@!* rain is coming from! It's cooler than it has been also. The sun is out this morning, but it's very gooey from rain during the night. I may have to wait until tomorrow to ride.
Phyllis Diller is such a perfect name for that chicken. She really does look just like her, as does Sid to his unfortunate human counterpart.
Though pathetic, I'm sure Apache is fine. I've had that happen, too, and I just make sure they have all the hay they can burn to help them keep warm.
Sorry about the peaches :-(
We've had some crazy spring weather again, too, and after such a mild and warm February it's made me very cranky!
Love Phylis Diller!
Weather in the spring is so frustrating. We've had the same here in Washington, it seemed to be a lovely warm early spring and then the cold came back. Hard on animals and plant life.
Life in the mountains, who could ask for more. Love the shots of Phyllis and Apache, nice job working the Tom Sawyer angle to get the kids to help..:-))
That stinks! It isn't supposed to snow in late April.
I have two Polish hens here (Gold Laced). Pouf and Loofah don't have spurs, but perhaps they're too young yet? They just turned a year old this month. I love my Polish! My city-fied husband loves them too because they look like Muppets. So, he has agreed to expand our Polish flock as they're kinda rare here. I need to find a Polish Roo too.
Speaking of Roos, I believe one of the chicks we bought last month (sexed) is really a roo. Too bad because this is the friendliest and best looking of my chicks, a lavender Americauna.
I hope that things have warmed up again. What a bummer to have snow in April! I love Phyllis Diller - she's adorable! I don't know why I've gotten so attached to chickens recently. And Lori's right, this is a good time to get a blanket for Apache on sale.
Post a Comment