Sunday, April 4, 2010

Riding and Preparing for ACTHA

 

(Warning: Lengthy post. Grab refreshments. Visit the potty first)

 

Saturday was lots of fun! My friend, Renee and I were invited to ride along and assist Colleen, of Walkin' N Circles Ranch Horse Rescue, and her husband John in setting up the trails for next weekend’s American Competitive Trail Horse (ACTHA) "Wild Bunch Meets Hole in the Wall Gang" Competitive Trail Challenge.

It was really good for me to ride my pretty pinto pony again, too, as it’s been several weeks since the last time, due to the snow, ice, and mud. I almost didn’t go today because the day started off very windy and cold.

But after I got all my gear loaded and Apache in the trailer, the day was still windy, but much warmer. All I needed to wear on Saturday was my thin fleece jacket to be comfortable. Yay! Don’t you all get so tired of looking like the Michelin Man all bundled up in several layers of heavy, bulky clothes during the winter? It’s such a relief when it’s finally warm enough to peel most of those layers off.

IMG_9325

I was a little bit frazzled when I arrived at Cedar Hill Farm because Colleen, John, Renee, and a friend of John and Colleen, were already saddled up and riding around. I hate to hold anyone up, but they promised to wait for me and I was very grateful. I also was a little nervous because I hadn’t yet sat in my new saddle. My kids have, but not me. I also hadn’t ridden Apache in her new bridle or bit either, and with the wind I wasn’t sure what to expect. (Note: I love my new Abetta Trail Saddle! And so does Apache! I rode for almost 3 hours and we were both very comfy and weren’t sore afterwards. The bridle and bit worked nicely, too. She seemed relaxed and rode softly, except for the couple times she got a little bit stubborn about wanting to go in a different direction)

But she was a good girl and Ranchman John was there to help me get her tacked up and mounted. And then he hopped into the truck and took a nap. He was tired after working a graveyard shift Friday night. Colleen’s husband, John, and their friend had already headed down to the Eventing Field to move some trail ribbons around, so Colleen, Renee and I headed on down the trail to the Eventing Field to find them

IMG_9324

Apache did great except for a little stubbornness, but thankfully no temper tantrums. In comparison, when Baby Doll would get stubborn, which was on every single ride we took together, she crow-hopped, bucked and pinned her ears until I set her straight. Thankfully, Apache will just either stand still and have to be encouraged to move or she will lean in the direction she prefers to go. But so far, she doesn’t fight with me about it after I use some leg and ask her again to move where I ask.

Apache was also slightly concerned being in that huge, wide field. And when the other horses started calling out to each other when we saw John and his friend in the distance it was a little bit unnerving. Renee was riding Atta Bay and I know that she can be a little live wire. Renee was worried about Atta Baby trying to bolt in the direction of the other horses, so she could be with her herd mate. And Renee had told me that Atta Bay had been jiggy and done a 360’ spin and jump just before I arrived at Cedar Hill Farm. She managed to stay on, but I’m sure it was a little scary.

I learned from riding Atta Bay that she just needs a firm, confidant rider who won’t put up with her sassiness. (In this photo you can see that Renee can be just that kind of rider, too) 

IMG_9322

But out in that vast field, Atta Bay could see one of her herd mates, Jake, ridden by John, in the distance and was getting prancy, jiggy, and snorty, screaming for him. And Renee’s confidence level plummeted, so Colleen jumped down from the horse she was riding, a cute little white gelding from the horse rescue, and led Atta Bay and Renee for a little while, until John, riding Jake could catch up with us again. And then all was well, because Atta Bay had her herd again.

Apache did throw a few longing gazes towards the other two riders in the distance, and she did call out once or twice, but otherwise she was well-behaved. And Colleen kept Apache and I busy, reaching out and pulling ribbons off some of the trees, and placing new ribbons on other trees, in preparation for making the CTC trail a little bit longer and more challenging.

(That big Rottie is Samson. He lives at Cedar Hill Farm and loves to accompany all the horses on the trail. He’s mostly well behaved except for getting in the way sometimes.)

IMG_9336 

After about 2 hours of riding, we had to head back to the stables so that Renee, and Colleen and John’s friend, could head home. While I watered Apache and let her nibble on some grass, Renee and I talked about the ACTHA CTC ride next weekend. We’re both so excited! We’re going down on Friday morning to help set up and assist folks who check in. Then we will probably do a little bit of riding that afternoon around Cedar Hill Farm, followed by a Potluck and then…….we’ll be camping out. Some of us will be camping out in the farm’s guest house, while some will be camping out in tents or in their horse trailers. It should be a lot of fun, just hanging out with fellow horse people.

And on Saturday, Renee’s going to be riding Atta Bay, while Colleen rides Renee’s Missouri FoxTrotter, Kacy, in the CTC. And of course, I’m going to be riding Princess Apache!

IMG_9330

Check out this DIRECT LINK to the ACTHA ride and you can see the details, as well as the photos I took from the last ACTHA CTC ride. Rosie is in the top photo(ridden by someone else), and Caesar is in the bottom photo (with his owner, Cheri), which is my favorite photo of all time. I took that inside the indoor arena and the lighting was perfect! They didn’t even know I was photographing them.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway, I digress. Renee had to go home, but Colleen and John were interested in heading back out again to prepare some more trails and check out some of the Challenge locations, so they invited me to come along. Yay! We rode into the rugged hills for another 45 minutes, up and down some steep, rocky, narrow trails.

And then we came to ‘The Slide’, or at least that’s what it reminds me of, although no one has slid down it, as far as I know. I looked down ‘The Slide’ back in February when it was covered in snow, and thought, “No way am I ever going down there!”

But there I was in April facing that same hill, and Colleen and John were asking, “Want to try it?”

(With this view you can almost see all the way to Texas!)

IMG_9338

I must admit that I did hesitate. I even asked Apache, “What do you think? Think you can handle it?” ‘The Slide’ is easily misleading and under-estimated. When you stand 6 feet back from the edge, it doesn’t look so steep, because you can’t see all of The Slide.

But just like those wild luge water slides, you don’t realize how steep they are until you are standing right on the edge.

But we were ready to try it.

The cute little rescue gelding looked back at us and encouraged us. He even went first.

IMG_9340

Then after John and his horse Jake worked their way down ‘The Slide’, Apache and I made our way slowly and carefully down. I just gave her loose reins and trusted her to find her way down. I was very proud of Apache and how careful she was.

I do love challenges, and I must admit that was a fun one. John told me to turn around and take a photo of The Slide from the bottom of the hill. Keep in mind that if there had been another horse and rider at the top, we wouldn’t be able to see them from this vantage point……..unless they were standing on the edge.

IMG_9341

Not quite “Man from Snowy River”, but still an adventure!

After we finished our ride I did have some different kind of challenges with getting Apache back into the trailer. I don’t know what was up with her because she was easy to load at my house. Maybe she wanted to go back to the stables and stay there for the night? She’s been there before and she does seem to like all the comforts. But we wanted to get back home, so after a long exhausting ordeal of making the wrong thing difficult and the right thing easy, and with help from Colleen and John, we finally got her loaded. Ugh. Trailering issues. Looks like we’ve got some things to work on this week.

Ranchman John said to me, “No horse is perfect and they all have some kind of issue or quirk” And I know he’s right. And most kinds of issues can be worked on and fixed. So, I’m not going to stress about it too much, but still it’s disappointing.

But then I am reminded of several situations that happened on the trail during Saturday’s ride, like the time that one of the horses spooked and rushed up behind us. Apache didn’t bat an eyelash and only leaned slightly sideways to see what the commotion was. I immediately thought of how, if that had been Baby Doll, she would have bolted for Mexico.

And at one point in the ride, 3 of us were encircled by a thick stand of trees and John, on Jake, happened to be on the other side of the trees. We could hear them, but we couldn’t see them. The other two horses got wide eyed and a little jiggy, but Apache just calmly stood there and eyed the wall of trees.

IMG_9337

And finally at the end of our ride, John was shutting a large metal gate and Jake freaked out about something and jumped backed fast and hard and ran into the little gelding that Colleen was riding, who happened to be standing right beside us. The little gelding bumped into us, but Apache just calmly backed up and moved us out of the way. I remarked to Colleen and John that if that had been Baby Doll, she would have blown up and teleported sideways 10 feet.

Everyone comments on how calm and laid back Apache is, and that is true. She has a quiet confidence when she is being ridden. It’s as if she knows she has a job to do and is focused on doing it well.

(Here’s a video I took of our ride. It’s pretty funny when Renee makes comments on me taking photos and videos for my blog)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Something interesting I discovered about myself on Saturday is that if it weren’t for what I went through with Baby Doll and dealing with her antics, I wouldn’t be so fearful when I get on a horse’s back now. Maybe in some ways that is a good thing because it’s wise to remember that horses can hurt you, even when they’re not purposefully trying to.

But I also realize that because of what happened with Baby Doll, the fear is always just below the surface, and I tend to constantly be aware of situations around me while riding or handling horses, that could end in a bad way.

Except I also understand that some of the horses I’ve ridden, like Rosie, Nadia, Atta Bay and my sweet Apache, can help rebuild confidence and trust. Riding a kind, calm, willing, trustworthy, honest horse is a blessing and a joy…and one I will never take for granted. 

IMG_9332             

(I don’t think Apache looked too impressed with my goofiness, do you?)

IMG_9328

41 comments :

Cactus Jack Splash said...

What a wonderful day you had! I am so glad she is working out so well for you. Sounds to me like she wasn't ready to go home yet, wanted to hit some more trails

Dan and Betty said...

Nice pictures. I wish we could join you next Saturday but we have other commitments.

Riding horses always involves a certain level of risk, but so does riding in a car or flying in a plane. I don't want to live my life in such a safe way that I miss out on a lot of life's joys -- like riding horses.

Dan

lytha said...

i want my next horse to be just like that - not worried when other horses disappear. what a sweet mare you have.

~lytha

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Yay! A trail ride without snow. How did your knee hold up?

Anna Larson said...

Well I haven't decided yet, but I might be joining you on that ride. I'm busy getting Ladybug in shape after a long lay off. How she progress will determine if she's ready for the ride.

Pony Girl said...

Looks like a successful day! The samples you gave at the end of Apache's calmness amongst other horses reminds me of any trail ride- there is always something that "comes up" and causes a horse to spook or jump or react, often causing a chain reaction. No horse is 100% bombproof. But the fact that Apache didn't over-react about anything is great! I like that about My Boy too- he typically startles "in place" but never bolts or teleports sideways on me! ;)
Weird about the trailering, if I recall you trailered her a few times before and she was fine? Sometimes they just get antsy. Is the trailer similar to the one she was in previously (size and style?) Was the ride over scary for some reason? Who drove her? I'm just wondering because my sister told me that sometimes the driver can affect a horse's experience, LOL! In other words, taking slow corners, braking slow well before a stop, can make a better trailering experience for horses and make them more likely to hop back in for another ride. Most likely she was just tired or wanted to stay with her new buddies.
But Ranchman John is right- no horse is without quirks. I'm about to face my horse's biggest one next week- the vet for spring shots. I'm dreading it, it's embarrassing that it is such an ordeal!

cdncowgirl said...

Kudos for riding "The Slide" I know that photos tend to be misleading when showing how steep something is so I can believe that sucker is STEEP!

And I know what you mean about comparing how BD would've reacted in a situation. There are still MANY times that I think "if I had been riding Quin..."

Anonymous said...

You look great up there! And it sounds like you had fun, which is the whole point after all. I'm sure any small glitches, like that odd trailer loading thing (maybe she was just tired from all that work and didn't want to use her possibly a little muscle sore body to get up in there), will resolve nicely. That's one nice mare you have there!

Lori Skoog said...

You've come a long way baby!

Unknown said...

I am so glad she is working out for you. I wish your pay it forward would make it to you in time for this trail ride but it won't. I still haven't completely filled the box the stuff is in, which is my goal. Soon though, soon.

Unknown said...

I found something funny with Cibolo when he was not loading. It turned out I was doing an extremely subtle movement that was the wrong signal with him. It took time for both of us to work through it. I think confident horses will test different things to see if you're going to give up.

And I know you aren't.

You know, we've been through a good deal of the same thing together (hundreds of miles apart, of course). And I can tell you one good thing on this end. The more you know Apache, the less you'll be afraid.

It's so weird. Every time I've realized that I can handle the few things that come up, the fear fades a bit. Cibolo did a hesitation, one that just a month and a half ago I would have gotten really to me and we'd have escalated. Instead I felt so calm inside.

So it's there. Give yourself horse time and it all comes.

Speaking from my new perspective, we're all too darned much in a hurry.

Unknown said...

No pressure but can we have a new header please? Even an under construction one? or one with chickens? I like to banish Baby Doll. I know, not nice of me, but her lingering presence is ... I don't know. Not helpful?

Am I being silly? Or insensitive? Please know that I don't mean that. I just see a future with Apache and BD is like a specter over the party. :)

Deb said...

I thought about you when I was driving through New Mexico to California and back...beautiful country....

Jeni said...

What a great way to spend the Saturday.

We are in shorts and t-shirts here in cincinnati and YES it's absolutely wonderful to not bundle up!

Have a great day!
~Jeni

Shirley said...

What a great ride, and I sure do like the way Apache takes care of you. She is a special horse. Give her some lovin' from me!

Unknown said...

Kisa,
It looks likle you and Apache have found that bond! And I hope it will grow every passing day! I love your new photo at the top of your blog!!!!! I had an "Apache" for 21 years, mine was named Chica...and I miss her every single day! I have never had that bond with any other horse....ever! Good for you!!!!! Sandy

jane augenstein said...

forgot to say I LOVE the new header!!!

jane augenstein said...

Wahoo look at you, Lisa! I see confidence all over, you have a great little mare there you know? So she has a little hiccup with the trailer, I am sure it will be resolved without much of a problem.
Love the last picture of her with tongue out, too cute!
Oh, I got to ride Gilly today. I felt good enough to work him a bit, then climb on and go for a little road ride, about an hour. Felt so good to be in the sunshine, light breeze, warm air and a good horse under me! Ahhh, big Gilly, the love of my life, second to my hub that is!!! :-D
hugs....
Jane and The Big Boy

Renee (aka Army Wife) said...

Apache is awesome and I am experiencing serious horse envy! She's so level-headed and smart about everything. Congratulations and many happy trails for the two of you!

Crystal said...

Sounds like an excellent time! You look so confident on Apache and she seems so content. Thats so nice.

by the way I like the new header picture, Pretty cute!

Reddunappy said...

Amen Lisa! Well said, its so great to see you our enjoying Apache! She is a great horse! One of those worth their weight in gold.
I am so so jealous that you are out trail riding!! its so wet and muddy here that we still have to haul to an arena if we want to ride, which I havnt done, sigh, I cant wait to do some trail rides this summer!!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

A great day on your great little mare! Yay for you ! The trailer issue could have been just a blip too, she sounds so good , maybe she just wanted to stay and play some more!

Paint Girl said...

Apache is so good for you! She seems so calm and level headed. I am so happy that you are enjoying her and are getting to go on all these trail rides!!

allhorsestuff said...

OH!!! Yippie...
Patchy Mare made the header!
I wondered when she would be there..Easter is perfect...new beginnings!
I have to say, I love the pop up style comments...I can read and go to town... remembering everything-blow-by-blow-cause I read as I comment!

First off..thanks for the L.P. heads up...took a potty and got a cup of Earl Grey and the hot water bottle..tweaked the back today riding..been too long I guess!

Cute names for the two riding groups...which are you in?
Yea...the day was very crafty here too...almost did not ride either..SO glad you went though, on your cute little Pinto Pony!
Michelin Man.,. ha!

That seems very reasonable of Apache mare..she lets you know her opinion and them takes YOUR advise for direction! Good mare she is Liss.

OH...really..I never can find a person with the same spelling as my name, and you know a horse, named Kacy!Too funny!
I agree, that photo you took, is very special. It's perfect, highlighting the horse and rider center stage like!

So glad that you went on out again, when your friends left..and that "Slide", whoa! Proud of you...miss adventure.
Lisa, when I started to trailer Wa myself, I had alot to learn about her likes and dislikes...
It used to take 40 minutes to get her into the trailer..yep..missed out on tons of rides that way.
But now, I put her in and leave the divider open and to the side..she likes that, less claustrophobia. I also drive pretty slow on corners and stops. And you know... repetition- of good trailer rides...goes FAR!Treats too..she has goodies waiting in there.
This may seem like I am partying to her whims..but..I tell ya- she loads herself now,actually pulling to get inside, so I think it worked.
Apache mare just needs to travel with you more..she will learn to trust anything you ask, soon enough I bet!

Ya know...you talking about the fear that BD put in you...more people should have THAT FEAR..and I translate it to "Respect" for things that are around and about you while with your horse...the things hidden all of it Some fear is just darn right healthy! MAy I say...you have a healthy fear for your head-by wearing your helmet too!
I knew too many people that are NOT with us because of a head injury with horse= helmet less.YOU are the wiser woman for wearing it.

AHA!!!...Loved the photo of you doing that on top of Apache mare!She looks rather relieved..no tie downs, and a soft handed rider!
What is your D ring bit? Looks like my Waterford, Wa likes.
GOOD ON YOU LISS!!
The next is about to happen and YOU too will be involved..!
Loving it!
Kac

allhorsestuff said...

Um...should have said..long comment-take a potty and grab some eats!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

It looks like you and Apache had a great day trail riding. I think you are ready for next weekend.

Anonymous said...

yah for you two! What a fun day, and such a good husband to haul you and take a nap in the truck. Sounds like something my hubby would do.
A friend of mine just heard about an eight mile fun ride that she wants me and Cass to do with her. I'm a little hesitant. I don;t know how well conditioned she'll be for it from workouts in the arena?? But it would be fun.

Leah Fry said...

I'm so impressed that you went for "The Slide"! Looks a bit daunting to me.

It does my heart good to see you look so happy, confident, and relaxed. Maybe Apache is a budding goober - how fun!

CTG Ponies said...

I'm so glad that you found Apache and are able to enjoy riding again. I wish there was an ACTHA ride close to us but there isn't. One of my goals in life is to finish a 25 mile endurance race.

Unknown said...

YAY!!!!!!! <----- so thrilled about the new header

What a great shot. I love horse raspberries. :q

Anonymous said...

Good to see you haveing such a good time with Apache.:)

Anonymous said...

Good to see you haveing such a good time with Apache.:)

jacksonsgrrl said...

Sounds like things are going well. Good deal! Glad you are having fun on Apache, and he seems like the right horse for you! Even though Jackson still is quite a challenging horse, and he proved it yesterday once again, (BUT I DID NOT go off!) I will never give up on him. His antics are few and far between, and when you purchase a horse full of fire that is what you get! He is an Anglo Arab! So, now you can ride a ton, and hopefully not have Apache ever turn into a nutter like J. does (but only sometimes!)which I handle more and more easily as I become a better rider. What he did yesterday I never would have sat a year ago. But me bones are hurting today!!! :) That trail looks like what we ride on a routine basis here in Texas! I just give Jackson his head and do the proper things with my body and we get up and down just fine! That is when the Aussie saddle comes in handy (going down super steep stuff) as the poleys (sp?) hold me in. But I don't like it anymore other for trail rides. NO CONTACT. Enough of my book. Glad to hear you are having a ball, that is what this whole crazy ride we are taking is all about, right?
~Mindy

Unknown said...

It's super great to hear about you enjoying riding again.

I am glad that Apache doesn't have the inclination to act out like Baby Doll had. You look very happy and I am happy for you.

And what fun! Competitive trail rides! I have always wanted to try one...

Janice said...

You sound so excited it's great to hear( or I guess in this case read it in your voice)Apache appears to be such a good girl, that trailering thing is some kind of a fluke , a horse that loads well doesn't stop loading well for no reason something was up for her. At any rate horses like people can't be perfect all the time and that little mare is about as close as you are ever going to get. I look forward to pics and tales about your ride. You two are going to have a great time.

Janice said...

PS Lisa I love your new header. I'm happy to see Apache with the place of honor.

Shirley said...

Love the happy header! The flowers in my post weren't in Janice's greenhouse, the pansies were at a supermarket, and the daffodils are outside our church. Have a great week, hope you get to ride!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Lisa! Oh it looks like you had fun..your dream of having a trail horse is happening! You can practice trailering her all week..you will have a great times next weekend!! Love the new header..she is a keeper! :)

small farm girl said...

I'm glad that you are having a good time. A good horse can make a huge difference.

Welcome To Wilmoth Farms said...

Oh Lisa....I'm teary eyed to see you ride again!!!!!!!!!! Yes this is a wonderful horse! Who wants a horse that bolts and jumps 10 feet sideways and one you have to constantly keep in line? Well I dont anyway I mean some people do like them and dont care...but I honestly want to enjoy my ride and ride with confidence on a confident horse and be able to enjoy the ride and my surroundings, thats the whole point and fun of it to me! What a great horse and great ride you had! Looks like a great match...trailer issues come up from time to time, and remember your trailer is new to her and who knows maybe a wasp got in there with her on the way down, and she remembered that....take some extra grain with you to coax her with next time....or treats....she'll get over it quickly her demeanor shows that....I'm just ecstatic for you!

Gail said...

You are my hero, the poster child for people afraid to ride. You have accomplished so much. Way to go!