Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Horse Camping ~ Trail Riding Evening ~ Day One

 

Saturday evening a small group of us, including Deb, Colleen, her granddaughter, T, Matt, Callie, and myself decided to head out for a trail ride after dinner.

IMG_1855

With my riding partner, Apache, still sore from Saturday morning’s ride, Colleen invited me to ride my dear equine friend, Rosie. If y’all remember, Rosie was the steady-eddie horse that helped rebuild my self-confidence this Spring, after being hurt by my first horse Baby Doll. I was happy to be able to ride on Rosie’s broad, strong back once again. She is built a lot like my Apache, so I was able to use my own saddle on her, too, which I love because it fits me perfectly and is so comfortable.

I must admit I was actually surprised at how much taller Rosie is than Apache, though. The first time I ever rode her back in February, I actually thought she was small, well she was, at least compared to my 15.3hh Baby Doll. I would guess that Rosie is 15hh, while Apache must only be 14.2hh. Apache is also built more petite, while Rosie is very stocky and built like a weight lifter. I hope that in time, I can help Apache become more muscled, too.

Anyway, I definitely needed a mounting block to get up on Rosie. At the camp, I used Colleen’s mounting steps, while out on the trail, during potty/snack breaks, I used a perfectly sized boulder or a large stump.

IMG_1856    

On Saturday evening, the skies threatened rain, but not long after we got out on the trails around Dragonwycke Ranch, the clouds moved on and the sky was bright, blue and sunny as it dipped lower towards the western horizon.

IMG_1872

When I rode past the field where Apache was, she gave me a peculiar look and then walked beside Rosie and I as I rode along the fence line, talking to her. Maybe I’m anthropomorphizing, but it really did seem like she wasn’t too happy about me riding Rosie and not her. 

We rode around for a little over an hour, just the 6 of us and our horses. It was very relaxing and peaceful…….well…….at least until a rattlesnake crossed our path! GAH!

(Deb, riding her gelding, Guinness, with Matt, riding his horse, Jasper, behind. Bella’s head on the right with Callie riding her.)

IMG_1871

Deb was riding out in front and all of a sudden she started screaming, and her moving her horse Guinness quickly forward away from something. At first I thought she saw a mountain lion, but surprisingly neither I nor Rosie was overly worried. We just stopped and looked all around. Then I heard Colleen say, “Rattlesnake! Move up on top of the rocks!!!” I guided Rosie up on top of these huge slabs of granite and then I looked over onto the trail and saw the biggest rattlesnake ever, slithering in our direction! Eeeek! It’s rattling tail was at least as long as my middle finger, and it was rattling like crazy!

Thankfully, the rattlesnake slithered down into a hole before it reached our granite slab, and we all beat a hasty retreat!

(T, Colleen’s granddaughter, riding Bandit, a recent rescue from WNCR. T, is a talented rider. She lives and breathes horses.)

IMG_1865

We then rode down to Deb and her husband’s cabin between the Pre-Cambrian Granite Boulders. What a magical place! She showed us her beautiful chicken coop and lovely chickens, too. Then we rode in between the ginormous boulders on narrow aspen tree-lined trails. A few times I had to lay across Rosie’s neck because of the low branches and I was grateful for my helmet. But it was so much fun!

We got back into camp and Colleen asked our small group if anyone wanted to do some cantering. I had already dismounted and was planning on getting a shower, so I passed, but I did take some video of the four of them cantering.

And after putting Rosie away for the night, I checked on Apache. I brought her an apple, like I often do at home, and she refused to take even one piece of it from me. Even when I bit off a small piece and pushed it up under her mouth. Weird. She also seemed….unhappy with me, like she was trying to ignore me. It was in her eyes. There was a hardness to them and a tenseness in her body.

So, I gave a few pieces to Etta Bay, who was standing nearby, and then I stopped and decided to try something different with my girl. I needed to apologize and make things right. I needed her to forgive me for not taking her out on the trails.

I stood beside her and just spoke softly to her, like I often do, and I stroked her withers, her neck, her back, and massaged her sore shoulder. I scratched the special itchy spots on her belly and I sprawled myself across her back and gave her my gentle hugs, and then I rubbed her ears and cheeks. I told her I was sorry and that I just wanted her to heal and be stronger.

And do you know what happened next?

She lifted her beautiful head from her pile of hay, turned around to look at me, wrapped me in a horse hug, and then nuzzled the hand that was still holding the apple I brought for her. She forgave me.

I know to some people that sounds crazy because horses live in the moment. They don’t hold grudges, right? And they never turn their noses up at treats, no matter what.

But I know that my Apache wasn’t happy with me…but after I loved on her and asked for understanding, she forgave me. I know in my heart that it’s true.

While I was feeding her bites of apple, several other horses came over to see if I’d share with them, too. But I was spending time with my girl and wasn’t going to be interrupted, so I chased them away, while my sweet mare stood behind me. I think it was a relief for Apache that she didn’t need to guard her hay or apple. She seemed very relaxed and her eyes were very soft.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After spending time with my Apache girl, I went over to Deb’s lodge and took a hot shower. Felt so good! Then I came back to the camp for some drinks and snacks, and joined everyone in a few rousing rounds of Equine Trivial Pursuit, until my eyes grew heavy and the yawns kept coming. The ebony sky was filled with sparkling, twinkling stars as I closed my eyes, dreaming about that day’s wonderful, adventurous rides, and feeling eager for tomorrow to arrive so we could head out into the Carson National Forest again.

IMG_1875     

    



16 comments :

Dan and Betty said...

Very nice. Enjoyed all the pictures.

Dan

PS: We're heading out of town tomorrow and I won't have my computer so I won't be commenting for about two weeks.

EvenSong said...

Sounds like a great evening, especially because you were able to get "reacquainted" with your old friend, Rosie, and that Apache could forgive you for your little "transgression."
Hey! I LOVE Deb's chaps! Any way you could find out where she got them? I'm sure they were custom made (and therefore may be beyond my means), but if she happens to be tired of them, I'll volunteer to take them off her hands...er...legs.

Deb said...

Lisa...your photos are beautiful as usual.....

Gail said...

Yep, wanted to be there! I love those rock formations.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I have no doubt that horses do feel jealousy, hold grudges, get revenge, feel guilt, and empathize. I've seen it all. If a person spends some time just hanging out with a herd and observing their behaviors, they'll see it too. Nice of your friend to lend you Rosie so that your weekend didn't have to be a bust.

jane augenstein said...

OMG a rattlesnake, ugh! I am not a snake person so that would have really scared me. Glad you and your mount were safe and the snake slithered off before getting close to you! Scary!

Poor Apache couldn't go with you, I bet she was upset. I am glad she forgave you for leaving her behind for the ride so she could heal!
Can't wait to hear more!!!
hugs...
Jane

Unknown said...

I am envious of your horse trip.

I will never forget the time just after I got Indigo I had gone out and driven Suzy and used the halter I bought for Indigo on her. When I went to catch Indigo after, who was mowing the grass in the round pen she smelt Suzy on the halter and squealed at me, striking out a bit in protest. I chased her around for a bit for that action. She did it one more time, again when Suzy wore the halter and hasn't done it since.

Once Upon an Equine said...

What fun! Great pictures. Looks like a wonderful place to camp and ride. I hope to do something like that some day.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Very nice, and how wonderful that Rosie was there for you . I always was told horese live in the moment and don't feel jealousy as well.But the first time Oi loaned my old mare to my sister and went to get on the new horse I had to move abut 15 feet away as my sweet old Catana was looking ot open a can of Whoop*ss on the new mare! Kind of saying MY PERSON ! BACK OFF"

Anonymous said...

That's not crazy - horses have feelings too, and can express them. That sounds about how Maisie was treating me before we moved back to our old barn - she's back to her friendly sweet self again.

I've never seen a rattlesnake on the trail (we have only one type here and they're extremely rare), and hope I never do!

Amy said...

I can't wait until the day we have our own precious horse. I hope it's as awesome a creature as Apache is.

Crystal said...

I think they feel upset when we dont ride them, I had a gelding who was always first at the gate, and if you didnt catch him he was pouty all day. He would just give the look and just hang his head over the fence while I would ride any other horse.

But fun you got to ride Rosie again.

Beth said...

1st of all, beautiful pictures! It looks like a wonderful peaceful place!

2nd~ HOW SCARY!! Maybe living in an area with rattlers they are not quite as scary to you, but since I have never seen a dangerous snake in the wild that would scare me to death! Just saw a picture of a horse that had been bitten by a rattler in Horse Illustrated, it wasn't pretty! Glad you all were okay.

Fianlly~ I totally understand what you mean about Apache. After I feel off of Abby and I had my wrist in cast, I was feeding in the morning. Abby was being snotty and wanted her hay NOW. I turned to her and told her to be nice. I pointed to my cast and told her that it was her fault that I got hurt, she had hurt me. She put her head down and backed up. If that is not an apology I don't know hat would have been. Glad you two were able to make up.

Mellimaus said...

That's good that you got to ride Rosie! Lucky she was along for the ride; was she there for a "back-up" all along? And awww, Apache....makes me wonder if Daisy's funny behavior is her holding a really big grudge against me ;) But we have our moments, too :)

Michele said...

Very nice photos. For never being on a horse before, I really felt as if I was actually riding on one going down a trail. The rattlesnake would have scared me silly though... brrrr....

The Equestrian Vagabond said...

so sweet about apache! I worked at the track as a groom, and one year i had a horse named Joey. at first he hated all us girls and me, then he got to where he loooooooved us girls and me. And I was there every day, 7 days a week. Until. I was gone for a week. The morning I finally showed up again, Joey was PISSED. he would not let me touch him, he refused carrots, he would not LOOK at me. he kicked his walls and turned his butt to the door when I tried to walk in his stall. I felt horrible all morning and left after I finished my morning of work with my tail between my legs. That afternoon though, he was watching with his head out the door, looking down the shedrow for me. When he saw me he nickered at me and then all was forgiven, he let me in his stall, let me pet him, scratch him, even hug him, which he never let me do before.
Horses - : )
- The Equestrian Vagabond