Our original flock of chickens are almost 3 years old and we still occasionally get double yolk eggs, especially after a hen has taken a short break from laying.
Our Ameracauna hen, Fertile Myrtle is notorious for giving us huge, torpedo shaped eggs, which are sometimes filled with plump, orange double yolks. When she was a pullet and brand new at laying, she also gave us several triple yolk eggs, too.
(And yes, that it is my hand, and not my daughter’s hand. Wow!)
You would be correct if you guessed this size egg doesn’t fit into a typical egg carton. This next photo may give you a better idea of their size.
The two eggs on your left were laid by Fertile Myrtle. And the brown egg in the middle is an average size egg laid by one of our Welsumer hens. The little egg on the far right was laid by our Buff Laced Polish Hen.
Have you ever had a double or triple yolk egg? What is your favorite way to eat eggs?
24 comments :
Yep, have had several double yolk eggs from my flock so far...5? I think...lol They just got started laying 3-4 weeks ago...
Tara
That's my kind of egg. I love eggs. My favorite way is sunny side up on toast with bacon on the side. Second best is scrambled with green chile and cheese.
Yum.
Dan
Oh owwww! Those are some big eggs. No hens here, but I sometimes am lucky enough to get eggs from Isobelle's Lady. I love them plain, just scrambled with a little salt and pepper. Maybe, a little parmesan cheese sprinkled on top. Free range eggs are just so much better than any egg you can buy in a grocery store.
I rarely get a double, but when I do I always think - ouch, that had to hurt! :)
WOW!!!!! I had no idea a hen could do this!!!!! How does she get those out?????? LOL
Hmmmm...I cannot recall ever seeing a triple yolked egg, but I saw many doubles growing up on our farm.
Eggs...where do I begin??? I actually do not really like eggs (it goes back to my childhood, where my dad would make me eat them after I gagged and choked and spit them back out).
I have since aquired a taste for other highly detested foods from my childhood, such as mushrooms, onions, and tomatoes, but eggs??? Not so much....
However, I do eat them now, because they are so healthy for you. My favorite way?? Probably in a big veggie omlette, complete with mushrooms, onions, and tomatoes...lol!!!
Wow, those eggs are huge!
Plenty of double yolks in the farm eggs I buy, depending on the season. Poached eggs, done Eggs Benedict style, are the best!
Holy cow, OUCH!!
No double yolks from my new hens yet. Maybe before they get too much older.
Over easy is my favorite way to eat eggs. I sop up all the yellow yolk with a nicely buttered piece of sourdough toast.
Funny you should ask! My Aunt makes poached eggs nearly every day and has for nearly 20 years. When we were in Maui she made them for us and I was offically hooked....so soft and light and yummy:) It took me weeks after we got home to finally come close to cooking them like my aunt did... maybe in another 20 years I'll be as good as her:)
I really never was an egg fan, but I am starting to like them sometimes, I usually use more eggs in baking than anything else. But I like chickens even less, so i go to my neighbors who has lots of chickens and turkeys.
Have you ever had a dick egg? They are really dark orange, and big.
Never had a double or triple I can recall. I love to make my hungry man breakfast. Grated potatoes fried in the skillet with peppers and such with an egg cooked to your liking (over easy, scrambled, sunny side etc) and placed on top with shredded cheese and bacon cut up or sausage bits over the whole thing and add ketchup on the side or over the whole thing. Can't go wrong with that can you?
I was told that rounder eggs come from younger hens. True?
I like my eggs in cake and cookies - *grin*
When I had chickens back in PA, I did have a triple yolk once. My favorite way to eat eggs is when Mr. Fry makes them over easy. I like to dip my toast. Shh, don't tell anyone.
I've had doubles, but never a triple. That Myrtle is a keeper!! Those things are HUGE!
Poached eggs and toast is my favorite!
Cna I just say OUCH! I think that is the size of my duck eggs!
I have never have a triple yolk, but have had double yolks.
I love love a farm fresh egg anyway way it is served!
Oh by the way, I linked to your blog in my last post, but I could not tell you because my internet was being a butt. I hope you don't mind.
Fertile Myrtle, lol! I love it!
I don't remember any doubles, but I do remember the egg I cracked into a pan that had a partially-formed chick! That put me off eggs for about 6 months.
I like mine over easy, or, if Miss Chef's making them, scrambled. Or in a quiche. Or...ok, I'll stop there!
Scramble mine, please! And throw in some fresh herbs, and maybe a little bit of whatever seafood the neighbors have captured fresh lately.
Our hens gave a lot of "doubles" when they were first getting the hang of laying eggs. Now we get large single-yolkers. Delicious.
that is quite the egg! As a mom that had a perfectly rounded headed baby with no painkilllers all I can think of is ouch for the hen, lol.
We have had a few double yolks, always from a friend that raises her own chickens, never from the grocery store. Wonder why?
We got some doubles with our first batch of chickens when they started laying...but not a single one with this batch...darn, they're fun! I've never seen a triple.
Those are HUGE eggs!
I have an egg every morning...let me count the ways ;~) The "house special" is an English muffin with egg, ham & cheese. Then there "egg in a hole"...scrambled in a tortilla with cheese and ham or bacon. Soft boiled with soldiers.
OK, now I'm hungry!
I've never seen a double yoke egg but overeasy with lots of yoke is my way to go..:-)
Too cool!!
I buy jumbo eggs at the store and one carton I bough a few weeks ago; every egg was a double!
Scrambled!!!
Jane
Post a Comment