Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Sweet Taste of Summer

 

Today I noticed that our fruit trees are working hard to ripen the fruit upon their branches. With all the rain we’ve been getting (it even rained for 3 days straight with no sunshine….made me feel like we had moved to the PNW somehow) our apple trees and peach trees are beginning to give us some fresh, delicious, sweet fruit.

IMG_2343

Today I picked my first ripe peach of the season. As I bit into it’s soft fuzzy skin, I savored the sweet, succulent flesh and enjoyed the wet feeling as the juice drizzled down my chin.

I still can’t get over the joy of being able to just walk outside my house, reach into one of my own fruit trees, free of any chemicals or pesticides, and pluck a fresh, ripe fruit from among it’s branches. This act seems like such a luxury every time, and I’m so appreciative. 

IMG_2344

Fruit from your very own tree somehow tastes better. It can’t get any fresher, that’s for sure.

IMG_2345 

So, for the next few weeks, I’m going to be enjoying the sweet taste of summer, right from my own front yard.

What do you have growing at home? What is your favorite summertime fruit?




26 comments :

Sherry Sikstrom said...

I am sooo jealous!

EvenSong said...

Without a doubt, the BEST ice cream I've EVER had was back in the 70's, when we churned homemade with peaches sliced straight off the tree!
Enjoy!

Unknown said...

Raspberries for sure! We have a HUGE patch that grow as big as strawberries, no lie! I do love peaches and apples though!

Anonymous said...

Just so know, it hasn't rained in the PNW in at least a week, lol! Funny peach story for ya, Mr. G was eating something in the backyard today that didn't look like it had come from our garden so I hollered at him asking what it was. He poined to the neighbor's peach tree that hangs over our fence. I asked the husband if he should be doing that and he said if it's hanging over our fence it's ours!

Anonymous said...

Just so know, it hasn't rained in the PNW in at least a week, lol! Funny peach story for ya, Mr. G was eating something in the backyard today that didn't look like it had come from our garden so I hollered at him asking what it was. He poined to the neighbor's peach tree that hangs over our fence. I asked the husband if he should be doing that and he said if it's hanging over our fence it's ours!

Lori Skoog said...

Your peaches look gorgeous! Last year we planted 2 cherry trees, 2 peach, 1 pear and 1 plum....already have an apple tree. Hopefully they will all start producing next year.
Our vegetable garden is too big and has started producing.

Anonymous said...

I love peaches, too, but I just picked my own fresh ripe tomatoes yesterday - last year we had the tomato blight and I didn't get any. That wonderful home-grown ripe tomato flavor is the best - and tomatoes are fruits, too!

Jeni said...

This country girl trapped in the city can only grow stuff in buckets... they tend to look at me really funny when I drag out the rototiller.

I am jealous I LOVE fresh peaches and apples.

Laura said...

I lloooovvvvve peaches. They are my most favourite fruit in the whole world! lol. How amazing that you can go out and pick your own.

Do the peaches have a lot of bugs/worms? We had apple trees on our farm when I was young and if we left the trees untreated, the bug/worms got to them pretty badly...

We can't grown peaches here, but they can further south in my province, so all of the ones I get are shipped up. Not quite as good as being from my yard, but I'll take it!

Cheryl Ann said...

Lisa, I don't have anything growing here right now, but the Coachella Valley is harvesting corn, peppers, squash, and there are fresh tomatoes at farmers' markets. Your peaches are lovely!

Alison said...

I'm glad for you that some of those frosted blossoms have borne fruit! How are the apples doing?

The first time I ate a raspberry off one of our bushes, I said "Oh! That's what all those raspberry-flavored confections are trying to be!" No comparison.

gtyyup said...

Ha...you're back in the peach business...I remember your loaded trees last year! I'd love a few of those! I think I like raspberries most...but a good watermelon on a hot day is hard to beat.

Dan and Betty said...

The only thing we grow is sage and tumbleweeds. But we're able to get fresh picked peaches at our local growers market. Not perfect, but not bad.

Dan

MaskedMan said...

Sadly, I've been without apple, pear, and peach trees of my won for some years now. Growing up, all of those grew on our land, as did some really prolific grape vines. The truck garden was pretty awesome, as well. The hazelnut and walnut trees hadn't matured enough to bear before I went to sea, and when I returned from the sea, the property had been sold. :(

The place where my father now lives does have a couple of fairly productive black walnut trees, and there is a very large u-pick orchard with a great variety of fruit trees that backs up to his land - My sister works there through the summer.

Yeah, I like going 'home.' :)

Carla said...

I wish I could have fruit trees. The deer around here are too numerous. We'd never get any fruit. :)

Denisarita said...

I love this time of year! We have a huge yard with grapes, nectarines, and cherry plums. Mowing the yard takes just over an hour on the riding mower so I just graze as I go!

Crystal said...

Wow I so love peaches, I have been tempted to grow one inthe greenhouse, but it would probly take over! We get a ton of strawberries here, which are good, but not like peaches.

Anonymous said...

Those peaches look absolutely yummy! I have tomatoes, tomatoes, and more tomatoes!! Put up over 30 pints of salsa and pasta sauce. :)

Shirley said...

Mmmmmm peaches! you made my mouth water! I love cherries.... and raspberries... and peaches.... and huckleberries!

AareneX said...

strawberries, raspberries, plums, cherries...and WILD BLACKBERRIES (I hate the vines, but the berries are the best!)

Melanie said...

I knew, when I saw the title of this post, that it was going to be about your peaches!! I remember from last year.....

Absolutely mouth watering! : )

Oh, and about that PNW weather??? Just imagine nine months of gray skies and rain. At least on the West side of the mountains. I honestly do not understand why anybody would want to live here.....

jane augenstein said...

Yum, I love peaches...well, all kinds of fruit really but peaches would be the fav.
I have tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers and green beans. I canned 7 quarts of beans today.
hugs...
jane

Anna Larson said...

OH lucky you! I lost both my peach tree and a mulberry tree to this winter. My asian pear trees and all my apple blossoms got froze off by late spring freezes and the Cherry trees are to small to bear fruit yet. My most favorite fruit is a tie between apricots (which unfortunately don't grow well in my area), peaches and mulberries.

Anna Larson said...

OH yea I only posted the trees. I'm also growing raspberries, currants, saskatoon blueberries and elderberries.

Grey Horse Matters said...

I love a fresh peach right from the tree. The ones in the store are never right, so hard and tasteless. You're lucky to be able to enjoy fruit you've grown.

As for a favorite summertime fruit, I love fresh strawberries and blueberries and although not a fruit fresh tomatoes. Enjoy the juice running down your chin.

Unknown said...

Oh I love peaches....and in particular homemade Peach Ice Cream.....