Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sunday Stills ~ Flags

 

This week’s Sunday Stills Challenge is to photograph flags, especially unique and different flags.

Of course, I don’t think anyone would mind if I first share a few photos of the beautiful American Flag in all it’s proud glory.

This photo was taken in Angel Fire, New Mexico at the Vietnam War Veteran's Memorial. A stunningly beautiful and heartfelt memorial.  

IMG_7763

 

 I captured this scene up in Northern New Mexico. Is there anything more American than John Deere tractors?

IMG_7897

 

 And this is one of the most favorite photos of my previous horse, Baby Doll. Do you see the flag?

IMG_7615

 

This was taken during a local parade. The Appaloosa horse isn’t too sure those flags (New Mexico State Flag, High Desert Riders of Edgewood Flag, and the American Flag) are friendly…….

IMG_9799

 

 

                                                  School Pride Band Flags 

IMG_9768

 

     Lots of proud American flags and a Boy Scout flag, too!

 

IMG_9780

 

My hubby took this photo with his phone in Philadelphia, PA.

This Betsy Ross flag depicts 13 stars representing the first 13 Colonies in America. 

betsyrossbox

My hubby also took this next photo, too. Elfreth's Alley, is also in Philadelphia, near Penn’s Landing, and is known as our nation’s oldest residential street, dating back to the early days of the eighteenth century. The street is named for Jeremiah Elfreth, a Blacksmith and property owner. Benjamin Franklin once lived here, too.

Elfreth's Alley is a National Historic Landmark and one of the last intact early American streetscapes in the nation. 

At the time of the Revolution, Philadelphia was the second largest city under British rule (after London), hence the British flag.

EllfrethAlley

 

And last but certainly not least, a flag flown by my neighbor, a Christian Flag.

IMG_3100

My neighbor is also a Circuit Rider, which means he’s a Traveling Preacher. But unlike the days of old, where Circuit Riders traveled on horseback, my neighbor drives a car instead. Not a flag, but I really like my neighbor’s house marker, don’t you?

IMG_7464 

 (I shot this last winter, hence the snow….)



Did you have a favorite photo or flag? Which one?



11 comments :

Anonymous said...

A great post as always. :)

I visited Betsy Ross's house 57yrs ago!! I have a great story about that visit too. Met my father's parents there for the first time, accidently.

Ed said...

Love them all but the union jack in Philly is one heck of a shot! :-)

Shirley said...

Nicw collection Lisa. My fave is the shot of the Union Jack in Philly, and of course, the wary Appy.

Gail said...

I believe my favorite is the Betsy Ross, just because I know it is brimming with history.

Great shots!

Leah Fry said...

Love the Moriarty band uniforms.

I'm partial to the Mexican flag because Mr. Fry and I so appreciate that country's influence on Texas culture.

Deb said...

great flag photos...it would be hard to choose just one...guess would have to be the tractors with flags...

Rising Rainbow said...

Lots of great flags here. I don't know about my favorite flag but I liked the appy thinking to snort at the flags.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Very nice and creative pics

Unknown said...

I like the tractors. So green and yellow:P

Far Side of Fifty said...

Oh I like the first photo..of the tiny flags..well done:)

The Wades said...

You have such a rich variety of experiences. I really like your photography challenges because it shows me so much of NM and now the US. Thanks, Lisa.