Thursday, December 23, 2010

1,000 Posts and Over 4 Years Later

 

Whooeeee! We had a heavy snow storm blow through here today. But it doesn’t look like we’ll have a White Christmas, because it’s just too warm. With temps in the upper 40’s (F), the snow melts as soon as it touches the ground. I went up to the barn this morning without having to wear a jacket.

Ok.

Grab some hot cocoa and a snack…..this is gonna be long.

IMG_5472

~~~~~~~~

I almost let this “Blogiversary” slip by. I noticed today that I’ve posted 50 extra posts since I passed 1,000. I just don’t keep up with things like that, I guess. But just the fact that I’ve been blogging for over 4 years is pretty surprising to me.

I had a peek, about a week ago at the Visitor thingamabob on my side bar and was shocked to see that hundreds of thousands of people have stopped by to check out my blog over the past 4 years, too. Who knew I was that interesting? Not me. hah!

When I first began blogging, I must admit that I thought it was silly. Something teenagers did to keep up with their friends. Another task I didn’t need to add to my already long lists of things to do.

IMG_6307

Then I realized it might be a good way to create a sort of scrapbook to chronicle the day-to-day goings-on of my family. Later on I decided it would be a convenient platform for me to keep a sort of diary of my life. Probably not the wisest idea. Call me naive. Oh well.

As time went on, though, I discovered photography and figured that my blog would be a great way for me to hone my photography skills, challenging myself while learning from others much more talented than myself. I’ve probably enjoyed that aspect of blogging most of all.

When I first began blogging, I never even received one comment for about the first year, and surprisingly it never bothered me at all. I was never popular in school and only had a couple close friends, so being in the limelight was not something I wanted. Same thing with blogging. But then I started getting comments from strangers. This was very weird for me, especially when the comments seemed so personal and even intimate……the kind of comments that only very close friends share with one another. I don’t think I’ve truly ever felt comfortable over these past 4 years with that aspect of blogging. It seems so much like high school with all the cliques and popularity contests that go on within.

IMG_6304

This part is a little painful for me to write, because it’s embarrassing and uncomfortable, but I’m going to do it anyway, because in the long run it will be cathartic for me to get it off my chest.

When I was a child in the 60’s and 70’s, I was one of those Ritalin kids, who was fed daily doses to keep us quiet, calm and well behaved. It worked in theory, but the problems and issues were truly never solved or understood. After all these years and especially after having my daughter, who has Aspergers Syndrome, I’ve come to realize that she and I are much alike. The biggest issue we both struggle with is being unable to truly fit in and understand the “normal” behavior of other people, especially mannerisms and quick wit. As I’ve gotten older (and my daughter, too), I’ve learned how to manage my way as best I can through the chaotic jumble of human behavior, confusing personalities and emotions. But I have always felt like someone standing on the outside, looking in.

IMG_6321

Computers have even complicated things, because the lack of facial features and voice inflections are thrown into the mix. And typed words can mean anything, and are even more perplexing, especially when trying to decipher and read between the lines, which I’ve learned is impossible for me not to do. I’m a very straight-forward person. What I say is what I mean, and I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve. I would never make a good Poker player and I’m not very good at Chess either (ask my sons. hah!) So, I tend to expect the same of other people.

What does this all have to do with blogging?

Well somehow in these past 4 years of blogging, I’ve allowed the desperate desire to fit in, cloud my better judgment. I’ve allowed my walls of protection to come down in pursuit of potential long distant, virtual friendships. I’ve actually met a few bloggers in real life, which led to new friendships in a few instances and disappointment in another. I’ve since learned that some people are not always who they portray on their blog. And some people are actually more wonderful than how they portray themselves on their blog.

Blogging can be a very confusing virtual world, indeed.

IMG_3695 

One day, Blogger came up with a “Followers List” and I found it was exciting to see who might sign up to “follow” me and befriend me and my blog. At one time I had over 200 Followers. Looking back now, I realize how weird that “Follower List”  is and how silly it was for me to be excited about that tallying list at all. Last Spring I removed the Follower List from my side-bar and over the past 6 months I’ve been weeding out all Followers who had never left a comment on my blog or any Follower that I had never visited their blog. I went from over 200 Followers down to just 54.

IMG_5790

Then I decided to remove myself as a Follower from any blog that I didn’t visit anymore or leave comments on. I used to just add myself to anyone’s blog as their follower, on a whim, like jumping onto a train with all the other passengers. If they liked horses…..follower. If they had goats or llamas…..follower. If they visited my blog…..follower.

IMG_3597

I started off Following over 97 blogs, but after weeding through them all, I am now down to 34 blogs. These are my favorite blogs, the bloggers I have been visiting and reading along with their lives for at least a year or more…….many for almost as long as I’ve been blogging, in fact. These are also the bloggers that have always been there for me with kind, understanding, non-judgmental and encouraging words and many times with some laughter thrown in, too. I will always be grateful to those of you who lifted me up when I’ve been down.

And then last year I realized I was blogging to entertain my ‘readers’ and ‘followers’, just to get them to visit me, and leave comments. My blog readership went way up and I had lots of “followers”, too. But it felt somehow….shallow. I was getting quantity over quality. I don’t want to be another Pioneer Woman, nor will I pretend to be. She’s got that niche well covered.

IMG_5465

And anyway, that’s not at all why I began blogging in this virtual world.

So as 2010 comes to a close, I am questioning if I will be continuing this blogging journey into the new year. 

But I digress.

IMG_6527

To help me celebrate this virtual milestone of 1,000 posts in 4 years I would like to host a special give away to all of my loyal readers and long term blogging friends.

If you are in this list below, feel free to leave me a comment answering one question.

FernValley, Nuzzling Muzzles, Sydney Bitless, Jane Augenstein, Gail, Clairz, Ed, Colleen, DesertHen (I’ve not been able to visit you ‘cause Internet Explorer keeps blocking me from opening your website), Stacey, Dan and Betty, Renee, Reddunappy, StefRobrts, Jeni, Crystal, Striving for Savvy (I always enjoy your comments, but I wish I could visit you, but your profile is unavailable), Flartus, Dom, The Wades, DiBear, Kate, Rising Rainbow, Desert Rose, Rebecca, lisa, small farm girl, horse mom, Horses are our Lives, Joanna, cheryl ann, Vaquero Girl, Leah Fry, AareneX, Jocelyn, AK Pony Girl, Chloe, Louise, Paint Girl, Pony Girl, Mikey, Baby Goose, Sandy~~~, Jennifer Mac., Oregon Equestrian, Merri, Maery Rose, Paint Crazy, CTG Ponies, Kelly’s Adventures, Dunappy, Sandy, Grey Horse Matters, Ishtar, Lytha, Andrea-Mustang Saga (I always enjoy your comments, but I wish I could visit you, but your profile is unavailable), Oz Girl, KD, Masked Man, Redneck Geologist, Lulo Designs, Deb, Debi, Now That’s a Trot, Judy, Cotton Lady, Sally, Far Side of Fifty, Mrs.Cravitz, Melanie, Breathe, Fantastyk Voyager, CDNCowgirl, Tammy, Dreaming.

(I hope I didn’t forget anyone. I went by my Top Commentator’s list and my private blog with links to all of my favorite blogs)

So here is the question:

What is one simple pleasure that you enjoy, that brings you more joy and peace than anything else?

IMG_8433

~~~~~~~~~~~

And what do you win?

A Wintertime package filled with everything to help you relax, get cozy, make you smile, and keep warm. (Photos forthcoming)

*Box of Bigelow Gingersnap tea

*Bigelow Cinnamon Tea Bags

*Tazo Tea Bags

*Chocolate Kisses

*Apple Spice Candle

*Soft Fleece Blanket

*Warm Knitted hat, hand-made by me

*Metal Cowgirl Plaque “Eat, Sleep, Ride”

*Five Great Books

*Metal ‘Story Pony’ Bookmarker

~~~~~~~

List of the books:

The Wilder Sisters by Jo-Ann Mapson, Build Complete Confidence with Horses by Kelly Marks, Horse Show Mom’s Survival Guide by Susan Daniels, One Good Horse by Tom Groneberg, Beautiful Jim Key by Mim Eichler Rivas.

~~~~~~~

This Give Away ends New Years Eve at midnight. I will choose a winner on New Years Day.

Until then…….

IMG_6508

Happy Holidays to all and a Happy New Year, too.

(All photos SOOC with slight contrast adjustments and addition of watermark. All photography taken with my little Canon PowerShot SX110 IS)

  



54 comments :

StefRobrts said...

One simple joy? The one I don't do nearly enough - just sitting still, outside, and watching the world. Hearing the birds, watching the wind ruffle the grass, seeing the dogs romping around the pasture chasing each other. That's when I'm at peace with the world :)

I love your photos - the one of the white stork(?) is gorgeous! You and I are very much alike in our reasons for blogging - though I'm happy mine hasn't become popular. It's really just my personal journal, and I often look back at it to amaze myself with how my garden changed through the seasons, or how quickly the puppy has grown up. I actually noticed I had a follower I didn't know the other day, and it creeped me out a little bit. Blogging is an odd hobby, but I do like showing off my pictures to friends, and it feels so much better than just storing them away on the computer. Of course some people have managed to turn their blogs into something they make a living off of - wish I could do that. Haven't figured out how yet!

Happy holidays to you and your family and critters!

Louise said...

Well, it's easy for me to answer that one. For me, the simple pleasure that I enjoy the most is to be curled up on my couch, a hot cup of coffee nearby, running my hands down the soft, sleek fur of one of my cats, Becky, Gina, Rachael or Leon. If it's Becky or Leon, they will be on my lap. Gina and Rachael aren't lap cats, but they both like to curl up right beside me, on that comfy couch.

It's funny how that simple contact can cause such peace. It's like, with each stroke, some of the tension of the day runs down my fingers, into that fur. And, from there, poof, out into nothingness. Because, of course, the cats don't care about any of that and don't let it disturb their contentment.

About you not blogging in the New Year. I understand where you are coming from, and certainly can respect it, if that is your decision. But, I will miss visiting your home place and seeing your wonderful pictures. They have a warmth to them that I imagine translates into the personality of the woman behind the camera.

Unknown said...

You know Lisa, I know what you mean about having followers and none of them commenting or you ever visiting their blogs. I love to read blogs, sometimes I don't always have time to comment so I creep. I do read almost every one in my blogger list though when they post. I thought about weeding through them and you know what made me think of it was you shortening your list a wile back. I am glad you still blog I love to read what you have to write and love your comments, your kids, the way you keep your horse and other animals and you. Your a wonderful person I always look for your comment on my blog with your encouraging and often insightful words. You know I have always considered myself easy to get along with, easy to adapt and stand my own ground so I get along with pretty much anyone or can tolerate in some cases pretty much anyone. However I have always only kept a few really close friends whom I know would not judge me for some dumb/random/strange things I do. Not everyone gets my sense of humor so I tend to keep myself guarded.

One simple joy for me in life is teaching or helping others. This can come in many different forms but the way that makes me the most joyful with horses. I have been told many times I have a niche for the way I explain things so people get them the first time when they have struggled to understand something. That is why I am going to go to Oklahoma in a couple weeks in pursuit of becoming a farrier. Wait for the blog post on that one.

AareneX said...

Lisa, I'm honored to be on "The List." I think your posts are often more thought-provoking than you intend!

As for an answer to the question, my goodness. My life is so full of blessings I hardly know where to start...

Warm chicken eggs in the nest boxes. Looking around the living room and seeing the entire family head-bent over various books. Singing at the top of my lungs as I stack hale bales. Seeing "new comment on your blog" in the inbox. Finding a new story that will be perfect to tell somebody. Watching the dogs and cats chase around the house, magically *not* colliding with furniture...

but most of all

The smell of my warm horse--you know, that fragrant spot under the mane where the scent of sunshine-on-fur lurks even on the darkest and murkiest of Swampland nights. That's just about the best in the world.

Happy Merry, gal.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about some of the weird aspects of blogging, and the blog world. I've found blogging valuable, for me, for a couple of reasons. I come from a pretty traditional background with horses - a world where horses haven't always been well-treated and where their feelings are pretty much ignored. I've been on a journey to find a different way with horses, and it's encouraging to me to know that there are others out there who have similar goals - they inspire me. Also, I love all horses, each and every one, so reading about their adventures is entertaining for me. I also like being able to encourage those who need encouragement or support, or to help out those who ask for ideas (not that my ideas are necessarily the right ones).

And I've discovered that I love to write about horses and horse-related things, all sorts of horse-related things. And sometimes writing about this stuff for an audience holds my feet to the fire - I have to be honest with myself to be honest on my blog, and sometimes knowing that others are reading gives me courage and even inspiration. I've never met another blogger - except Jill from my barn - so don't know how they are in real life.

To answer your question about what I love best, it's being with horses, while they're eating, in the pastures, when grooming and just everything where their "horseness" shines through - it gives me life.

I hope you continue blogging because I enjoy reading what you write and seeing your beautiful photos - but if you decide to stop I'd certainly understand.

Best to you and your family at Christmas and New Year's!

Rebecca said...

One simple joy that brings me more pleasure, joy, and peace than anything else is.. and forgive me if its corny..how my older boxer dog Maggie looks at me. She is deaf, but she was not born deaf. She looks to me as her ears and her protection. She will not stay in a room without me there. If I get up to leave a room and she does not see me leave, she will hunt through every room in the house until she finds me. She sits on my feet when I watch tv and wipes her drool on my jeans. I can't even go to the loo by myself without her. It might just be separation anxiety brought on by her deafness, but I think its love.

Sandy ~~~ said...

My one simple pleasure: Needing the animals in my life more than they need me.

Tammy Vasa said...

Thanks for including me, Lisa. I enjoy your blog and your pictures. But mostly, I can relate to your horse struggles having been down that road myself.

When I need peace, I find it with my animals. My horses, my dogs and even my cats - even though I have always sworn I wasn't a cat person. But mostly the horses. I can just BE with them without having to talk, boss or defend.

Happy Holidays, Lisa.

lisa said...

I love to visit and learn about all the places that you and yours go visit! I like the letterboxing! Not only that, we are much a like with the same name! I think the best thing for me is my reading, I can sit down and read and have that book take me away to another world that can make me smile at times that I am down and blue!

Gail said...

I hope that Gail was me!

You know how to ask a very difficult question, Lisa.

One simple pleasure that brings me more joy and peace than anything...it is difficult to name one thing, there are so many.

The smell of a horse, the touch, the heart, the sound and sight of a horse is one.

Walking and seeing all the beauty in The Creation that surrounds us is another.

The love of a child, the complete trust in their eyes and the sound of their laughter is on my list, too.

I can't list one person, because so many have touched my life. My family touches my heart each day and fills me with joy.

I think, tonight, this moment, the thing that would bring me more joy and peace than anything would be snuggling a sweet puppy. The puppy smell is divine, the softness and looseness of their skin, the soft licks, the puppy sound and even the tiny sharp milk teeth are a pure joy to experience....maybe I am saying unconditional love, instead of just a puppy.

Oh, Lisa, I can't answer one, I am so blessed! I guess my name doesn't make it in the hat but that's okay.

What every direction you choose from here,know I have truly enjoyed every step of the journey I have traveled with you.

Jocelyn said...

Hi Girl!
1000 posts OH MY!!! You are an amzing blogger, and I wish I had your camera!!!

Anywho....

The one thing I enjoy most in this whole world is the quiet time I get to spend with star, not riding, not grooming, just petting on her listening to her breath and sign and eat her hay.

Jocelyn said...

Hi Girl!
1000 posts OH MY!!! You are an amzing blogger, and I wish I had your camera!!!

Anywho....

The one thing I enjoy most in this whole world is the quiet time I get to spend with star, not riding, not grooming, just petting on her listening to her breath and sign and eat her hay.

Cheryl Ann said...

Lisa, you have posed some very interesting questions, many of which I've had myself, especially about blogging. The thing that brings me peace and which I enjoy almost more than anything else is just getting out in nature with my camera, opening my eyes and ears to what is around me, and letting it all in. This is especially true after an especially hard day of teaching. I find that it helps me to clear my mind and relax. And, it works, even more so than being with my horses, I'm sorry to say! It also allows me to let out my creative side.
~~Cheryl Ann~~

Jeni said...

wow over a 1000 posts in 4 years !! Thank you for including me on your journey. I love reading your posts they are always heartfelt and honest. You make laugh and cry as the emotion warrants. Thank You!

As for the one thing that puts me into immediate peace no matter what... My horse !! They always have. When I was a child they were my escape from a not so nice world. As an adult... they still are. When I am with them, even just brushing, the world melts off my shoulders and I breath. They don't judge, they don't care if you are crying like a baby into their soft coat, or laughing a soul cleansing belly laugh as you gallop across a field. No matter how bad my day, week, month is, all it takes is a few short moments with my horse and I'm smiling and at peace again.

Merry Christmas to you and your wonderful family Lisa.

Vaquerogirl said...

Just one answer to a question like that? Man- Harsh! Lots of things make me truely and wonderfully happy! Writing a good sentence, sitting in front of a cozy fire, spending a good day with a fun and caring friend. But the ONE thing that makes me happiest is the one that everyone else will probably list too- stroking the soft and forgiving nose of my very own real life pony.
I hope that you decide to continue blogging- I do so enjoy your pictures and commiserate with your struggles and your triumphs.

jane augenstein said...

Oh, Lisa! I LOVE the white bird picture, it is awesome!!! All of your pictures are always really, really good but that one really stands out. Great job!
Wow, I didn't know you had done that many posts! That's a lot of writing, and you are so good at it too.

I fear I am behind again on reading your posts. I have been making Christmas cards on the computer and having a ball I might add! :-)

To answer your question. There has been one thing that has always comforted me since I was 9 years old. That when I have been at my lowest and felt lost, to bury my face in my horses neck and breath in the wonderful aroma of horse! My horse, my best friend who knew all my secrets and would never tell a soul. That to me has been at times my salvation. The wonderful warm scent of a horse will always be to me the thing that makes me feel so at peace.

Have a Joyous Peace Filled Christmas!
hugs....
jane

Unknown said...

I'm not on the list, but I'll sneak in an answer anyway. Writing. It brings me joy to craft an essay, to work on a story, to pull together a poem.

I'm with you, I'm over the follower thing, although I do discover new friends this way.

Merry Christmas!

Grey Horse Matters said...

Congratulations on your blog anniversary Lisa. I don't visit as often as I should, because I have so many things to do during a day, but when I do I always enjoy your musings and photos.

Wishing you and your family and your critters a Merry Christmas and Happy Healthy New Year.

Dom said...

I've always been an internet whore of sorts. I was painfully unpopular as a child, then found myself in college. The blogs I've kept have helped me form many great, lasting friendships. I even landed a job through my LiveJournal. I love connecting with people, following their stories, and sharing their triumphs and sorrows. There is something so wonderful about being able to learn about lifestyles so different from my own. Thank you for sharing your journey and congratulations on four years and 1000+ entries. May there be many more!

AKPonyGirl said...

Thanks for including me on your list.

The one simple thing that brings me more joy and peace is riding my horse with my best friend in the mountains. When I am there I am in the moment. There is nothing else that matters. Mark Twain said the outside of a dog is good for the inside of a man but I believe the same thing for horses.

I really enjoy your blog and hope that you continue writing.

Horses Are Our Lives said...

First of all, keep blogging! I love reading your stories and the places you have been and your pics! I too, was that wall flower in school, and now probably talk too much. You have a lot of strength inside you. I started blogging because I had to get some things "off my chest". Then, like you, I think it's a great way to journal. I will need to read some of your earlier posts! I appreciate your comments too, and you always give me something to think about.

I also love taking pictures, and am getting back to taking a lot more in the last year. Through Ed's blog, I post with the Picturesbybrenda comment. I'm one and the same. lol

Merry Christmas, Lisa, and have a great holiday with the family!

oh, I simple pleasure, besides horses, is definitely a Dairy Queen Blizzard.
Brenda

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Funny you should ask that today of all days,I used to write poetry, but had stopped ,for whatever reason. And after reading my silly song posts , my hubby asked me why I don't write ,more. So I sat down this morning ,and while thinking about it I found my muse! I even had to pull over on the way home from work to make some quick notes . So my simple pleasure is old and new and at least for today it brought me great joy.I do hope you continue blogging, but absolutley on your own terms.Merry Christmas Lisa! Wishing you and your family all the best for a warm and safe Christkmas.

Crystal said...

I hear you about the blog, i never knew what they were eaither till I decided to jump in and make my own. I like people in small doses, so blogging is perfect if I dont agree with someones I deas I just dont read thier blog and I dont even have to feel bad about it ;)

You inspire me to take better pictures since we have the same camera and your pictures are always amazing! and you have made me want to visit New Mexico so much I love everything you say about the places you go to.

On of my favorite pleasures for me is my horses, it wasnt always that way (well i loved them but never knew much) until I started riding with a bunch of knowledgable women and we have a blast and I love learning about them and teaching them things.

Mikey said...

First, congratulations on over 1,000 posts! You are an amazing writer, and I'm honored I've gotten to watch your life unfold. You have some FANTASTIC adventures! BTW, I love the Wilder Sisters. That was a great book. Anything by JoAnn Mapson is great :)
I'd like to say my daughter brings me joy and peace... joy yes, peace, not so much... more like unlimited chaos and noise, lol.
I went outside and thought about my answer and I kept coming back to horses. Moments like yesterday, when I stood at the gate and called my favorite horse by name. He came up and I led him out, no ropes, halter, nothing. Led him freely to the trailer where he stood for brushing and saddling, with no restraints.
Or this morning, while cleaning pens, when I let old Smokey mare out and watched her run, tail up, bucking around in complete happiness. Those moments bring me tremendous joy and peace. Happy horses, that does it for me.
Wait, I've got it!! Reading your blog!!! Ding Ding! I win! lol

Mikey said...

And Merry Christmas!! How could I forget to say that?! (smacking myself) Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

Anonymous said...

Awww Lisa, I hope you keep blogging! I love your pictures and your kiddos and following your equine endeavors.
My one thing? As much as I love my horse time, and just hanging at the barn, sitting in my chair with my oldest, Mr. G, I asked him if he knew how he was loved. "How much?" He asked. "More than the whole universe," I told him. "Wow, that's a lot of loved."
So, loving on my kiddos brings my heart the biggest delight.
Love to you and your sweet family, including the four legged ones. Merry Christmas!

The Wades said...

Shoot darn. I just wrote a long comment and then some how deleted it. I'll try again.

Thanks for the visit, the support and your friendship. I thank blogging for introducing us. Now I can say we're IRL (me trying to be cool with texting lingo) friends. :)

Like I told you, I am always amazed at the quality posts you write. Informative, interesting, beautifully photographed! Not only that, but you always leave the most sincere and supportive comments. You, my friend, have a gift. If you leave the blogging world I'll attempt to be supportive, but I'll most likely whine every time I check your blog and don't find it. How bout fewer posts?? Can we compromise here. ;)

Congratulations on four years. Impressive indeed.

May your Christmas be Merry and stress-free.

Oh, and I love taking pictures and going to movies with my hubby. Also up there on the list is sitting on the porch at our family cattle ranch just staring off into the wild blue yonder.

Love you, Lisa.

cdncowgirl said...

I didn't make your cut but I would like to leave a comment if that's okay. If its not just delete this please....

I think the followers thing was more for those who follow the blog. To make it easy for them to get to new posts and keep track of which blogs they read.
That said I think a lot of people like to see that number climb, its human nature to want to be liked right? :)
I often glance at a follower box to see if there's anyone in particular I know following that blog, because there are certain people out there that I tend to have similar taste in blogs to. Sometimes it even helps me find a new blog.

And WOW over 4 years blogging?! Most bloggers suffer burnout sooner than that.
I hope you aren't considering quitting blogging because of some of the run-ins you've had with "meanies" in the last little while :(
A suggestion though if you do keep thinking of quitting... maybe start a photo blog? Basically make it Wordless Wednesday (or almost wordless) everyday! You do take beautiful pictures :)

Sorry if I haven't been too "chatty" in the comments lately. We're still settling in here, yes I know I've lived in my "new home" for 7 months!! lol Not sure if you still come to my blog or not but if you don't I do have a post from a few days ago that you might like, we picked up 2 babies - weanling quarter horses!!

Much love to you & your family. Hope you have a fabulous Christmas!!

Anonymous said...

Firstly, congratulations on your milestone of blogging!!

Your comment about people portraying themselves different via their blog is so true; they create a better version of themselves almost, I know of someone who’s done this, we were ‘friends’ once.

Your post was heart warming & I’m glad to have ‘met’ you via your blog & that you’ve opened up in this post, I have learnt more about you

I don’t make a comment every time I visit – if I did, you’d be telling me to go away ;)
But I love seeing your photos & reading what you’ve been up to

I recently went through & ‘cleaned out’ all the blogs I “followed” .. that I hadn’t in so long
It’s almost refreshing. Now I don’t bother making an effort with those blogs that aren’t genuine enough about blogging – those ‘pioneer’ blog as you speak – which I have seen her blog & I too don’t really like the concept

You should only blog for you, when you started blogging to get quantity over quality followers, you’ve lost the special-ness (if that’s even a word?) that revolves around blogging

This has been a huge comment (lol) :)

Anyways – to answer your question, because I so very excitedly discovered my name on your list

Photography is my one pleasure; nothing makes me feel more wholesome, happy & excitable than when I’m out taking photos. I love it, I truly do

merry Christmas to you and your family & all the best for the new year :) xxxx

PaintCrazy said...

It's 7:30 a.m. here in Michigan and while I haven't a snack, I do have a big cup of coffee! I most always do when I read your posts because I love studying your photos and totally enjoy them. I only wish I could spend so much time out in nature taking pics like that...mine all tend to be of people and events...but that's also what I love most of about your blog.

We have a lot in common with our love of animals, homeschooling, photography, blogging, etc. My son is severely ADHD and often mis-diagnosed as aspbergers. We'd get along well if we were friends.

Joy and Peace? Watching my daughter and her friends "play" on their horses outside on a summer day. Their joy is totally contagious and my peace is in having a moment of relaxing and not being horse trainer or teacher or employee or student or wife or driver or anything at all. Just a person enjoying the view.

Keep blogging - just keep it for YOU.

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

nesting at home

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

It's interesting what you say about having to work hard to tune into people and understand what they mean. I have always been under the impression that people don't understand me and even fear me due to my level of weirdness, so I was so happy to meet you and feel as if you accepted me for who I am. You also get my sense of humor, even in writing.

I noticed that I'm coming up on my 1,000th post and figured I'd get so caught up in blogging that I'd let it pass me by. I have a lot of Followers who I've never heard from as well. I have some Anonymouses who are really nice who I enjoy hearing from, and others who make me cringe, but without a name I can't just delete those comments without reading them to save me the trouble of having my feelings hurt.

Simple pleasure... Trail riding is complicated. Far from simple. I'm often a nervous wreck when setting out, but by the time I turn around and start heading back to the trailer, I'm the happiest, most relaxed, most peaceful person on earth. The effects of a trail ride last for days.

Blogging is easier for me. I can sit in my recliner buried in blankets, drinking a cup of coffee or tea, just typing. The hard part is facing the comments, because everyone's a judge. However, I think overall we've got a good group of friends who know how to be friends.

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

There isn't one answer to your question, but the first one that comes to mind is standing quietly in the sun with one of my horses. No agenda. Another one that's become essential to me is playing with my pup - watching his crazy Aussie eyes as we play, or watching him greet my husband. He's a happy dog.

That's weird that my profile is unavailable to you. I haven't set it to private. I don't have a google profile but you should be able to get to my blogger profile, or you can just get to my blog by going to www.mustangsaga.blogspot.com

CottonLady said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family!
I am a silent follower most of the time...but I really enjoy your blog, so please think of keeping it.
I don't have horses--am allergic to them, of all things!! I do love them. I just cotton farm, have chickens and goats. I don't have a blog, either, but I enjoy reading them. (am chicken to start one-don't think I have enough to say)


Blessings to you and your family!
CottonLady

Redneck Geologist said...

I am not on the list...I am a lurker...but I wanted to say that I read your blog every day. I love the photos and reading about life in NM. You are very talented. I would miss you very much if you quit. Merry Christmas!

Alison said...

Oh, Lisa, I do hope you decide to continue blogging, even if you change your approach. I so enjoy your photos, and watching your story unfold with Baby Doll and now Apache. Plus, I learn a lot about your corner of the world!

Your question made me do some thinkin'...but the answer came suddenly. I love finding myself in the woods--any woods--so far from human development that all I can hear is birds and the wind (and my dog snuffling around in the underbrush). I love just listening and breathing and, above all, stopping. Just stopping to be.

(A very close second would be putting in the garden on a beautiful spring morning with Miss Chef.)

Merry Christmas to you and your family and all your lovely critters!

Redneck Geologist said...

My simple joy is having happy, healthy animals.

Deb said...

Merry Christmas Lisa...for some reason your blog is not coming up on my favorites...I've been wondering where you were...

Dreaming said...

Merry Christmas!
Your post has left my mind whirling. As I was reading I kept saying things like , "Wow, that's just like me." or " Gee, me too!". I felt so connected to you. Perhaps that's why I enjoy your blog. Maybe I'm just a kindred spirit. At least two things that resonated with me included the initial desire to "collect" followers and writing to please others. I'm curious if that is unique to some of us, or is a path that most bloggers follow.
Anyway, I enjoy your blog and do hope you continue.
OK - simple pleasure...that's tough. I think I'd have to put cleaning the horse paddocks first thing in the morning on the top of my list. Seriously. I like listening to the birds singing. I like hearing the horses munching on their hay. I have to keep my eyes on Tucker or he runs off, so I see lots of neat things going on around me. The world is waking up along with me. It's a special time of awakening that brings a fresh feeling of renewal and a sense of rebirth.
So, may the joys of the season bring happiness to you and your family.

DesertHen said...

Lisa, you are a beautiful soul! I admire your honesty in all that you write! I do hope that you continue to blog as I so enjoy your stories, photos and your beautiful travels in your lovely state of NM. I would miss you that is for sure!

Can't figure out why IE would be blocking my site and not letting you visit. I had stopped blogging for several months as I have struggled with going to work full time and all of the stress that has come with that decision. I decided only recently to come back and blog on a regular basis as I found I missed it so much and thought it might be a good way to "de-stress" and connect with life again. I do hope you will be able to visit my blog again soon.

Okay, now to answer your question...It would be reading. I love to curl up with a good book and lose myself in another world. It is my guilty pleasure and brings such peace to me.

Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family and pats to all of your sweet critters.

(((Hugs))) to you my friend!

Paint Girl said...

Congrats Lisa! That is alot of posts! Wow! I love your blog and have loved getting to know you and your family. I think you are just wonderful!! And I hope you continue to blog! But you gotta do what ya gotta do, I totally understand that.

My one simple pleasure (although I have many)~ spending a nice, sunny, warm day on the back of my horse, relaxing and breathing in the fresh air, enjoying the wonderful country side I live in. That one on one time doesn't come often for me and my horse, so I really cherish it when it does happen. It is absolutely priceless.........

Rising Rainbow said...

Congratulations on 1000 posts. That's quite a milestone.

I remember when you first blogged about dreaming of owning a horse. I think maybe it was on your other blog but I remember how much you wanted that horse. It's been amazing to be along on your journey. I, for one, would be sad to see you stop blogging. I have enjoyed getting to know you and certainly count you in the list of blogging buddies I'd really like to get to meet someday.
I, too, have had the experience of meeting other bloggers and not always having it work out well so I don't say I want to meet anyone lightly.

As for your question, there's never been anything simple about me or my life. The only time I really feel like I belong in this world is when I am in the company of horses. The most joyful and peaceful experience I can think of it having a horse I love allow me to wrap my arms around its head and hold it close. I know for sure in that instant that we truly are connected and I feel whole.

mrscravitz said...

My favorite simple joy is to read my favorite blogs, and Lisa, you are one of my top favorite. I enjoy your stories, and the trail that you rode with Baby Doll, and the one you now ride with Apache. I have tried to leave comments before, but I usually read your blog at work on my break, and some reason it won't let me leave a comment. I DO read your blog every day, and my day is not complete until I visit your world.

The Equestrian Vagabond said...

Congrats on your blogiversary! Don't you find that as you write, and write... it just gets better? And when you write for yourself, it sometimes gets easy (but not always). Love your photography too.
You ask for one simple pleasure - that's too hard because there are so many! but right now, it's spending time with family at the holidays!
Hope you're having a good one!
- The Equestrian Vagabond

Deb said...

one simple joy...holding my grandson....nothing better in the world...baby slobber kisses...

Sally said...

Please keep bloggin - Even though I don't comment much, I love the pics, vacation ideas, and your stories in general! Happy Holidays :)

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

I was in a hurry to run out the door yesterday when I left my comment. I wanted to add that I hope you keep blogging, I really enjoy your blog and all your wonderful photos. This post was thought-provoking for me and made me look back on why I started blogging and how it has changed over time, as well as thinking of blogs I have read and have quit reading, and why I enjoyed them (or didn't). I wonder if I would read my own blog if I weren't me. :)

small farm girl said...

I am so behind on reading my blogs that I do follow, I almost just skipped them all and start new. I'm glad I didn't, because this post really touched me. I know that you have a lot of followers here, but it was nice of you to include me as one of the ones that you follow too. It seems like your blog was one that I followed from the begining. I'm glad that I did. I feel a connection(if you will)to you and your love of horses and life in gerneral. Thank you for encluding me in it.

Now, what makes me happy and relaxed? I love reading a good book or just spending time with my animals. But, of course, you understand that. hehehh
Thank you once again,
sfg

Maery Rose said...

I'm not sure I can name just one simple pleasure. I have found so many things to enjoy this past year. I guess the main pleasure is spending time with friends. It doesn't really matter what we're doing -- skiing, trail riding, or sitting around talking -- real friends have brought me the most joy in my life.

I certainly hope you don't stop blogging as your posts and your comments always touch me. You make me think and I can relate to so much that you write about your own life and feelings. Funny how you can feel a kinship with someone without ever meeting in person. But it is hard because you learn from your comments what people want to hear and what they don't and sometimes it does feel phony, like trying to please people and keep up appearances. But then the realest me is not that far off, I just censor out a lot of the complaining and my most negative thoughts, which usually have to do with myself. Those thoughts should be censored out anyway.

Your photos of birds are so clear and beautiful. I keep hoping my photos will improve by just taking a lot of them but I realize I'm going to have to maybe read my camera instructions one of these days and read about technique if I'm ever going to improve.

I could go on and on, because I do love to write, but I'll stop now.

Desert Rose said...

When Blogging becomes a task...for sure it is time to take a break. I started blogging so my family could follow my riding adventures in the desert. Then I picked up a few followers and choose some blogs that appealed to me to follow. I have enjoyed my new bloggfriendships. Last year I was so busy with my grandchildren & horses...and quite depressed becuase we lost our 2 beloved cats (one was 20 yrs old) within 6 weeks of each other. I found that I just did not have the energy most of the time. I am back to blogging but have decided to post once or twice a week and keep my bloggfreinds at the current leval. I believe I can manage that this winter. I 1st came to your blogg right after your christmas day accident 2 years ago...I have enjoyed seeing your family grow up and watched you conquer your anxiety with horses.
I have 2 equel joys in my life. I love being a Zsa Zsa to 10 wonderful grandchildren...time alone with each one is a priority for me. The other joy of course is any time I get to spend with my horses whether riding,grooming or just standing quietly nostril to nostril.

50+ Horses said...

Hi Lisa, (Rewriting my comment, not sure what happened to the first one.) But it kinda went like this:

Last January when I lost my horse, I wrote about the loss on my blog. I was so sad and although my family comforted me, I needed to share my sorrow with my friends out in "horse blog land". They KNOW what it's like.

You responded back so quicky and I really felt you understood what I was going through. It validated why I do my Posts. Your response gave me comfort.

I've enjoyed your blog and hope you don't stop. Sunday Stills is a weekend Must for me and I always enjoy your pictures.

I love your Posts, especially the part 1 and part 2 ones, where we aren't sure how it will all turn out! Girl, you keep us hanging by our fingernails sometimes! (And we love it!) :)

So I just wanted you to know how much it's meant to have you pop into my blog and how much I've enjoyed reading your Posts. Hope they'll continue in the future. The best to you and your family in 2011!

Judy Johnson said...

I think this has got to be one of my favorite posts you have written. You really let us into YOU. I can identify with some of the things you said about wanting to fit in at different times in my life. I have finally decided, this is me. If you don't like who I am then I guess it doesn't matter to me. It took me a long way to get there though and some heartache too!
I'm not on your list but I will still share with you what brings me more joy and peace than anything. For me it is standing or sitting amongst my horses as they graze. Hearing them as they rip the grass and chew it, the sound of the wind thru the prairie grass. The smell of the grass, soil and horses enveloping me. A nuzzle from one of the horses and my dogs ocassional nudge. This is peace.

CTG Ponies said...

This is a great post. I think blogging can be a really fun thing but it can also be another obligation that adds stress. I try to read the blogs I follow every day even if I don't have time to comment. It gives me a different perspective on life and allows me to step outside of the things that may be stressing me out.

To answer your question, I love spending time with my family but...I love riding by myself where it's just me and the horse focusing on each other. The rest of the world falls away and we are a team.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Lisa, I didn't make your list either..hope it wasn't something I said. Congrats on your four years! That is an accomplishment:)