Woke up this morning and…yep…it’s still snowing.
Come along with me for a little tour of our Winter Wonderland.
This is the view off of my bedroom balcony.
Looking out at my bedroom balcony’s wall, I got to thinking of Nuzzling Muzzles and how she would love to build a wall tall enough to block her creepy neighbors from staring at her.
My wall has grown a foot taller overnight. Maybe all she needs is a lot of snow?
All that snow doesn’t bode well for al fresco dining, though. Unless you like to eat snow.
And sitting in my favorite chair, down by the chicken coop, to enjoy our chickens pecking and scratching out in the yard, is….well, a little difficult right now….
Especially since the chickens don’t want to come outside anyway.
And I sure don’t blame them.
Ranchman John didn’t want to go outside either. But the animals needed to be fed and Zuni wanted to play in the snow, so up he went.
Apache is bound up tight like a spring and I imagine that when we finally let her out of her pen, there will be a huge explosion of galloping, farting, bucking and rolling. I’m excited to see her let loose, but worried she may get hurt.
Zuni loves the snow, but even she was done gallivanting around after only an hour outside in the yard.
“Can I come back inside please?”
I shot all the photos in this post, about 8:30am this morning. It’s weird how it looks like I took them at dusk or night time.
This snowfall is very wet and heavy. Our snow is typically light and powdery. The poor trees are weighed down heavily and I worry that we might get some breakage of branches before this stuff melts.
Looking out my living room window.
Looking out my kitchen window.
Looking from my bedroom/bathroom window towards the barn.
Standing inside the front doorway. Some of the decorations we hung on the peach tree in our front yard.
Looking out from our front door to our side yard and apple orchard. Chicken coop is that snow-covered fence on the right.
As of 11am this morning the snow is still falling, though it is beginning to slow down. If we get some bright, warm New Mexico sunshine all of this snow will be melted in a couple days. Of course, I just checked the weather report and…you guessed it, it’s calling for more snow on Saturday afternoon and evening.
Looks like, for the next couple days, we’ll just be hunkering down at home by the fireplace, sipping hot beverages, listening to Christmas Carols, and enjoying the beauty of the season.
(Enjoying the view out our front window)
Like I said in my previous post, ‘Be careful what you wish for’.
You just might get it. *smile*
29 comments :
A whole lota snow going on there. But it is beautiful. We were supposed to get a couple more inches earlier this week but the system stalled out. Dang!
May be a white Christmas!!
We may get some snow tonight, not much but enough to make the roads slick, up here we get snot snow, LOL.
Looks like the heavy wet stuff we got last week! The kids at school were happy, because the first snow we got about Thanksgiving was so light it wouldn't pack into snow men and forts (no snowballs allowed at school). The heavy stuff is what will chill a horse through the quickest. I'm curious, though--why do you keep Apache in? Mine keep warm and un-bored because they get to be out full time...
I expected you guys to get more snow on your side of the mountain. We got about 3 inches which is normal for us.
Nice pictures.
Given that we're leaving tomorrow, Saturday, for Tennessee (with no computer) and then my surgery is right after we get home, this may be my last comment for awhile.
Have a blessed Christmas with your family.
Dan
How beautiful! I feel for you! We wished for a white Christmas this year, and now we have both snow and ice. Hope it slows down enough to be managable!
That is a LOT of snow. I can't believe NM has snow before NJ!!!
It's beautiful, and all the more to be appreciated because, where you are, it won't last all that long. Loved the decorations on the peach tree.
Evensong,
Like you said, "The heavy stuff is what will chill a horse through the quickest."
I typically never pen my animals up because all of our snowfalls tend to be dry powder. But when it's wet and heavy like this, Apache gets wet down to the skin and shivers terribly. I have no blanket for her right now and the only shelter in her paddock is some trees...not enough to keep her dry, warm and protected from wet, cold snow.
~Lisa
Beautiful! Relaxing inside with hot beverages, a fire and such sounds wonderful to me!
Thats a lot of snow. I would love to take Indigo through that snow though we got lots here thanks, just not that much. It's been fun sleigh riding the past 4 days in a row now.
If the sun comes out and you get outside, go shake the snow off the trees. It puts a lot of stress on the branches that may not show up until next year.
No snow here because it's too dang cold! 10 degrees below zero this morning and the forecast is for a solid week of highs below zero. At least the wind has stopped blowing!
I'm glad someone got snow. We only saw a lot of mud this morning down in the valley. Pretty pictures, my son wishes our place looked like yours that's for sure. ;)
Love listening to Ella Fitzgerald while I read your post. Sure looks like you're ready for Santa Claus.
I'm glad to hear John is home and not in PA, you may have blogged about it and I missed it.
Merry, Merry
Holy Cow!!! That's a lot of snow! I hope you have your pantry stocked, I'm sure you do since you are used to this kind of thing happening!
More on the way, hope it's not much that's coming, I think you got enough!!!
hugs...
jane
that is a lot of snow ! Looks like my place ,we got over a foot in the last few days as well
Not a bad idea. Maybe I should just start shoveling snow up against the fence and hope it lasts a while like a snowman. Zuni looks like a kangaroo in the picture where she is running. It's been snowing for the past 6 hours here. The biggest struggle for me is pushing all that snow off the hay tarp, so that I can get underneath it to feed the horses each meal.
I just talked to a gal here in town who has a sister that lives in your area of New Mexico and she was telling me about all of the snow. I thought to myself as soon as I can,I need to check your blog to see if you had posted photos...Wow! What a storm you guys are having! Stay warm and safe! Enjoy the cozy hours by the fire...=)
'Member how I was jealous of your weather? 'Member how y'all were running around in T-SHIRTS not long hence?
I'm not jealous anymore. You can keep that white stuff. We like our precipitation liquid phasic, please.
WOW you got A LOT more snow then we got over here. I am glad that it waited one week so we could go to the ACTHA competition. How is Apache doing?
I have a friend moving to California. She is hauling her horses there this week. Her plan was Nebraska to Amarillo, thru Albuq. & on to Tucson. They hit ice & snow in Amarillo so have dropped down to El Paso for the night. She is a nervous wreck!
Well i guess you got your snow, hope it lasts till Christmas!
I know I'm totally nuts but I love big huge snows like that. And I like it even more when they last for a long time before everything turns brown and winter-ugly again. Nice pics - winter snow pics can be hard to shoot since it can be so darn bright, even without sun.
I love all the snowy pictures, but my favorite has to be the one of your Christmas tree in front of the window. Just gorgeous.
Be sure to take video when you turn Apache loose!
Wow, Lisa, that's beautiful. Almost makes me nostalgic for the snow belt. I fully expect to see a snowman in your next post! (Or, knowing your Twinlings, some other kind of snow creature.) ;-)
I am in Riverside California...and not a speck of snow to be seen. I am hoping the mountains will be covered when the clouds lift..but the rain has been falling steadily...light..but at least it is there.
Those pictures of your snow...made me so wistful...and wishing it was us! Though a native of California, I was raised early years in Oregon I was used to snow..and now none. Only in the distance.
I had to show my husband I was so thrilled by the beauty of your yard. What a lovely sight to wake up to. Simply gorgeous. Thanks for sharing them with us snow starved folks out here in Southern California.
The photo's of the dogs racing around...made me smile. I remember mine doing that..and it's wonderful to watch! I would have loved to see photo's of your horse doing the same thing!
Thanks! I enjoyed every minute of my visit!
Merry Christmas!
Mona
Gosh, but this is a beautiful blog! And even has that Southwestern flavor about it. I love it!!!
Man, that's a lot of snow! With more to come! Wowsers, it's beautiful. I'd love to be snugged down, sipping cider or cocoa... that sounds SO good!
Gorgeous...and so great you sent us pictures! My 10 inches is gone is replaced with 55 mph winds and all the related damage. Oh goody!
Gorgeous!
Post a Comment