Jem, Jen and I drove up to Santa Fe on Saturday to explore The City Different and the original Mile High City. We were also planning on doing some Letterboxing.
(An artistic door near the Plaza)
We’ve been Letterboxing for almost 4 years now. One of the goals we made last New Years Eve was to reach 300 Boxes Found by the end of 2010. Last January we were at 241 Letterboxes found, and as of today we are just 4 boxes away from our goal. Woohooo!
(Some musical art in front of an Art Gallery on the Plaza)
During our visit to Santa Fe on Saturday we only found 3 boxes, mainly because we didn’t even leave our house until after lunchtime. I keep forgetting that it gets pitch black dark by 5:30pm. bah!
(Some equine art near the Plaza)
Next time we head up to Santa Fe, we’ll leave in the morning, so we have more time. We still had a great visit, although one letterbox we searched for seemed to have gone missing, and for the last letterbox we tried to find, we got there right at dusk, and it was getting too dark for us to even read the clues, much less hike into the woods peering myopically into the darkness.
(A bison on the famous Scenic Turquoise Trail)
Still, the letterboxes we did find provided us some unique and entertaining photo opportunities……..
(An interesting architectural installation near the Indian Art Museum and Folk Art Museum)
(A caprine art sculpture near the Wheelwright Museum)
(A quirky art piece located near the Folk Art Museum)
(A magnificent art sculpture located in front of the Indian Art Museum)
And best of all on the way home, we always drive on the scenic Turquoise Trail, which scoots us right through the historic, eclectic, artsy town of Madrid, which is famously known as Christmas Town every year during December.
We had the extreme pleasure of following behind an old stagecoach pulled down the beautifully decorated street, by a pair of handsome draft horses.
Really made me smile and was the perfect way to end another wonderful day exploring New Mexico.
16 comments :
Very cool and great pics, especially the stagecoach..:-)
The second pic of the Native American dancer made me smile. Reminds me of the classic question: so what DOES a Scotsman wear under his kilt?
Great pictures! Love going with you on your excursions!
Great pictures, Lisa! There is so much to see where you live, that's great....wish there were places like that around here. Maybe I need to move out west! ;-)
Love the Christmas lights on the stagecoach!!!
hugs...
jane
My goodness, Lisa, you sure are adept at finding great photo opportunities! How many people go right on by all that public art and barely glance at it?
Great photos as always, Lisa!
(and I'm jealous of your sunlight...deaddark by 5:30 sounds heavenly! Right now we're at sunrise: 7:50am and sunset: 4:15pm ...and it's still more than a week to Solstice. sigh.....)
Great photos as always, Lisa!
(and I'm jealous of your sunlight...deaddark by 5:30 sounds heavenly! Right now we're at sunrise: 7:50am and sunset: 4:15pm ...and it's still more than a week to Solstice. sigh.....)
Neato I love the art. The native statue there, hes wearing a jingle dress (skirt, kilt? Assuming its a man lol!) they are worn during pow wow's for healing. When my mom and I do face painting at pow wow's a lady in a magnificent jingle dress came up and was talking to my mom. When my mom mentioned something about her having rheumatoid arthritis the lady danced for her in hopes the spirits would lift it from her body. Neat eh.
I would LOVE to have drafts and a stagecoach. I know a guy locally around here who has 2 stagecoaches, 4 teams of mini's pull each one. One team is scewbald, the other piebald. SO cute!
Wow, that is some amazing art. The skirt is really incredible. I'm stunned by artists who can capture a moment like that, even with the bells flowing with movement.
Love the art of this post! That's a goal for the letterboxing! I wonder if I can get my husband into that. I love to hike and explore old and new places.
The stagecoach !! oh my gosh! I would LOVE to see something like that =)
The painted door is amazing! Love the musicians on the street too...how fun! Thanks for taking us along...=)
I can't wait to celebrate Christmas in New Mexico...hopefully next year. Thanks for the tour!
I always enjoy looking at your and Val's pictures of New Mexico. I especially like that you can take a picture of something without having wall-to-wall people around it.
I goggled about letterboxing. Do you have a stamp or do you leave a note? The southwest is full of unique places to visit! All we have here in NE is a large flat area! lol
Wonderful, colorful photos!! Looked like a great day for everyone~
You're such a good mama. What experiences your children are getting! To think you found that many this year is incredible!
I keep saying I should get our family into it. . .
Post a Comment