As soon as we entered the Palace of the Governor’s doors we headed straight back to the Palace Courtyard to get into the “Santa Line”. My daughter, Jen was thrilled to have the opportunity to meet Santa and give him her Christmas wish list. On the way, we walked along the brick walkway lined with luminarias and farolitos.
The warm, flickering fires were both magical and cozy.
The night wasn’t too cold, but there was a slight chill in the air that made folks gravitate to the fires to stay warm.
In many big cities the fire marshal would be shutting the party down. I’ve heard of how some places, like certain convention centers that host weddings, aren’t even permitted to have candles burning. At the Palace, I found it interesting that no one got close enough to the farolitos to catch their clothes on fire.
The Palace was also serving up complimentary steaming cups of hot apple cider along with sweet and spicy Biscochitos. Mmmm! While one of us stood in line, the others would take turns picking up another cup of cider and a cookie or two. Such a nice treat while waiting to visit with Santa!
Speaking of Santa…..
Jen was pretty excited to meet the jolly, bearded fellow.
And Santa even invited my twinlings up for a visit, candy cane and a photo. That’s probably the last time I’ll see my boys hanging out with Santa at Christmas. *sniff*
(Hey Jax! Santa knows if you’ve been bad or good…..and I bet he knows you gave him horns, too! Stinker! Be prepared for coal in your stocking, son!)
There were some fun activities inside the Palace Print Shop where visitors were invited to make clever looking square hats out of newspaper.
There was also Christmas music, too.
But the best music of all was the Native American Singing and Drumming!
For me this was the highlight of our evening…oh heck…our entire day!
I even have a video to share. Don’t miss it…and don’t forget to turn up your volume, too.
What did you think?
After a few minutes don’t you feel as if the drumming and the beat of your heart become the same rhythm and the singing and chanting reaches down deep into your soul? I do.
I get so emotional when I’m listening to this type of music……with so much history and culture behind it. And I just feel so amazingly blessed to live in such an amazing and unique place like my beloved Land of Enchantment, my beautiful New Mexico.
13 comments :
Nice pictures and yep, Jax is in trouble. I love listening to the Indian music, especially at their gatherings.
Dan
Yet another wonderful tour! Such a beautiful place
Wow, what a wonderful post! Love the pictures of the kids and Santa. You are right your boy is gonna get coal in his stocking for sure! LOL
Loved the video too, thanks for the wonderful experience go traveling with you!!! :-)
hugs...
jane
Really neat stuff Lisa!!
Jax made me laugh! LOL
Wonderful experiences!
What a wonderful way to spend the day with the kiddos.
Haha that boy. Santa doesn't give coal around here, he gives frozen road apples.
A couple weeks ago I brought Indigo to a local homestead for their christmas festival. St.Nicholas used to travel by white horse (AKA Indigo) and he used two have a helper named Ruprecht. The tale is a German one and the man playing the part of Ruprecht was german and remembers being a kid in Germany when st.Nickholas and Ruprecht would come through the town. Since he was in a small village everyone knew everyone. Ruprecht would hold open a big book that would have all the kids names in it and if you made the bad list (had a black tick next to your name) you would get put in a sack and switched (hit with a stick). The stories this man told me as we sat in the old barn were very interesting and it makes a lot of sense where our "tamed down" version of Santa came from.
Wow thats way better than seeing Santa in the mall! Thanks for the tour.
Strange thing about the fires, if you give people credit for having good sense, sometimes they show it.
Great pictures and once again, you have educated me delightfully.
The drumming and chanting is so meditative.
i love it too, especially when i hear it live. I got to go to a Powwow once, it was awesome.
- The Equestrian Vagabond
What a great family outing...great pictures!
Oh, thank you for taking us along for the evening. You know I love New Mexico history and culture--we have so much of it, and (as you said) are so lucky!
I love your "tourist" pictures!! Your neck of the woods is one I've never been to but REALLY want to visit once of these days...
Post a Comment