Last night was the coldest we’ve experienced since moving up here almost 4 years ago. When I woke up around 3am, I checked the gauge and was shocked to see –12. I’m guessing that the wind chill lowered that another 6 degrees easily. Brrrr!
Poor Dobbie was happy to just step outside, do her business and come right back inside. She wanted to go to the barn with us, so I put her coat on, but she got stuck in the foot deep snow and had to be carried back to the house.
The goats, llamas and Apache fared much better, even though the barn, basically a three-sided shelter didn’t provide much protection because the wind was blowing in sideways from the east, which rarely ever happens up here. Our storms tend to blow in from the west or northwest.
The night before I laid a deep layer of straw on one side of their stalls, so they must have hunkered down together all night and they looked none the worse for wear this morning. Everyone felt warm and cozy underneath their thick wooly coats.
But we’ve never had our water buckets freeze completely solid, even before we bought electric buckets. Unfortunately the evil gophers destroyed all of our electric to the barn last summer and it’s too far to run electric cords up there, so we’re living like the pioneers and dealing with frozen water this winter.
And it was –5 degrees when we headed up to the barn this morning through the dense snow, with Ranchman John hauling the big blue camping water container filled with hot water, hoping we could melt the solid ice with the hot water. But it proved impossible even when we tried using a hammer. So hubby was an unhappy camper, grumbling the entire time how his hands were frozen and how much he hated winter.
I’m sure Apache’s not fond of winter either and would rather lay out in the sun on a summer day, but she still gave me kisses and seemed happy to see me.
I’d rather not waste my energy on negativity when there’s a job to do, so we gave up on the frozen solid water buckets and I found a couple of empty feed tubs in the tack room and we filled them up with the warm water and placed them in Apache’s pen and the llamas and goats’ pen. I sent him back down to the house to thaw out (before he popped a vein from being a cranky pants) and I went about handing out hay to all the critters and making a warm grain mash for Apache, which she eagerly devoured after she had about 30 minutes of exercise running and gallivanting around in the paddocks, while I was setting everything up.
Of course, I did get some video and photos. I just love watching her run and play in the snow. Yesterday, not only was she bucking and running, but when she got down to the fence line we share with Val’s horses, Scout and Yalla! trotted over and Apache shook her head at them and reared up playfully. She looked like a wild mustang. So pretty!
I kept trying to get video of Apache running and playing at the bottom of the hill, but as soon as she’d see me she’d come running full tilt back up the hill toward me.
I have to admit that it’s a little disarming watching a 900 lb creature barreling it’s way straight toward you, and I couldn’t help but wonder if she’d stop in time before she ran right into me.
But I think it’s an honor that she eagerly runs to me like that. I’ve only owned Apache for a year and it took almost a year and half before my first horse Baby Doll did that, albeit in a 200 acre pasture with 5 other horses. Watch one of my favorite videos:
It makes me laugh to see how she was giving the other horses her ‘Back off. That’s my human!’ face. lol!
It was lightly snowing this morning, even with the sun shining. And they’re calling for more snow showers throughout today, but I think the worst of the storm has moved on. Now if only it would warm up again soon. Brrr!
Here’s my Apache girl running up to me right after Ranchman John trudged back down to the house, growling and grumbling the entire way. I think Apache was glad to see him go. lol!
26 comments :
I think the horses deal much better with the cold than the heat. Nice pictures - I need to get some of our snow horses wading through the deep drifts.
Even though we have heated troughs outside, they're all buried under 7' drifts right now!
I love how the snow stays on their backs - a testament to the quality of the insulation from their fuzzy coats! Yesterday we drove by a pasture with about 20 horses in it. They all looked like blanketed appaloosas!
I'm jealous - my guys only run to me if I have a feed bucket, and some times, if the grass is nice, that doesn't even work. My guys don't love me - wah wah wah
Brrrrr, that's cold. Hope you got the buckets unfrozen back up at the house. Sometimes, even if they're frozen solid, they will loosen up if you turn them on their sides and stomp on them. Of course, once in a while, that will break them, too.
Apache sure is beautiful, especially against the snow.
I hate it when Mike does the grumpy, stubborn stuff, and it's usually when the situation calls for staying focused. :-)
Apache is so pretty running and playing in the snow. Depsite the cold, I think critters really do like the snow...just like little kids. =)
It was 9 degrees here this morning and ice covered everything, but no snow and the sun is now shinning brightly!
Happy day to you and yours. Stay warm!
Looks like quite the storm! Everyone looks well and well prepeared for it though. Frozen buckets suck! You be careful on that snow , and the mud to come!
Yup....heard it got down to -8 last night at our ranch near Corona and 8 inches of snow. Up to almost 2 above right now!
Stay warm...and hydrated.
Hmmmm...perfect weather for a lovely hand knitted hat, huh?
You had much more snow on your side of the mountain which is the way it should be. We had about 3 inches or so in Corrales. I agree with one of the other commenters that horses deal better with cold than with heat.
Cute video of Apache coming to see you.
Dan
Aww, Apache's so beautiful trotting through the snow. It's nice to see her out and having fun--snow day, no school! lol
I think it's funny that I blanket my Florida ponies when it gets below 32 degrees even though two of them have coats that look as thick as Apache's. I know they are pefectly able to keep warm without our help (if it's not wet AND cold) but I guess it makes me feel better. :-)
I was thinking of the Budwiser clydsdales with her trotting toward you in the snow :o)
What a fun blog. You always have been the glass half full girl. Apache looks so happy with the snow. Hugs, Debi
Great fun post Lisa! I LOVE the videos of Apache running to you in the snow.
I've always wondered if Apache could have more than a little mustang in her. Not just her confirmation, but some of her mannerisms just bring it to mind.
Stay warm!!!
I think we have more patience for this stuff than the horse husbands do because we love our horses so much!
Man, I can't imagine it being that cold! I would die! And having to haul water! You poor thing!
Apache looks wonderful.
Apache looks like she was having some fun in the snow. Do your llamas get friskier in the cold? Ours seem to love it, but it's never gotten to -12 here, so I don't know if they'd love that as much!
Apache is so beautiful in the snow!
I sure hope it warms up soon for you guys. That is some seriously cold temps you got there! BRRRR!!!!
Yay!! I can read your fun posts again! :) I'm a happy girl.
Frozen solid buckets? Ugh ugh ugh! Way to be positive in that misery. What's with this cold anyway? Brutal stuff.
I love that first pic of Apache posing out there, and the one of her cantering thru the deep snow.
She looks like a Morgan/Mustang to me.
~lytha
Cool pics, videos and post, Apache almost looks like she is having fun in the snow..:-)
I have about an inch of ice on my hood that I need to break off this morning...
All water was frozen here too. Not in the minus range but too cold for me.
Wonderful pictures.
I love watching the horses play in the snow. They love it! We are having the nasty cold temps and tons of snow also. Thankfully I have heated water buckets and a hydrant in the barn (that was put in last summer after the nasty winter last year). I am so thankful for both of these conveniences. I bet you get electricity put in before next winter.
I love watching the horses play in the snow. They love it! We are having the nasty cold temps and tons of snow also. Thankfully I have heated water buckets and a hydrant in the barn (that was put in last summer after the nasty winter last year). I am so thankful for both of these conveniences. I bet you get electricity put in before next winter.
Stay warm! This winter has been a challenge for those of us with critters that live outside. Fortunately, the horses seem to deal with it much better than the humans.
when we got to Moriarty yesterday afternoon and it was 0, I knew you guys were in for a COLD night! Glad everyone kept their fingers and toes and hooves and ears on!
Brrrrrr! I think it's cold everywhere, bring on Spring. I loved seeing all the great pics of Apache, I was missing her. :)
Brrrrrr! I think it's cold everywhere, bring on Spring. I loved seeing all the great pics of Apache, I was missing her. :)
Post a Comment