Thursday, February 10, 2011

Temple Grandin in the National Cowgirl Hall of Fame!

 

 

Did you all hear about Temple Grandin being one of only five women inducted into the National Cowgirl Hall of Fame for 2010?!

Full Story

You can also visit her website and watch the official Cowgirl Hall of Fame Video

Somehow I missed the induction, but I first learned about Temple Grandin last Spring after reading the book and then watching the movie The Horse Boy.

Soon after I watched her amazing, inspiring movie in my Netflix Queue. Then I followed it up with watching videos of her lectures and speeches and reading her books….which are eye opening, easy to read, and truly masterpieces that will be valuable references long after this thoughtful, outspoken woman is gone from this world.

She has been such a huge inspiration to me because my own daughter is on the Autism Spectrum, too. Temple has opened up a door into how a person with Autism views and experiences the world, and has the innate ability to instill a vision of hope for the future. She truly deserves this award, and so many more.

(scroll down to my playlist and press the circle button to turn it off, so you can hear this video clearly)

 

 

“Temple Grandin, Ph.D., is a champion of the agriculture and livestock industry. Grandin has published seven books, several videos and well over 200 articles and essays on the subjects of animal welfare, livestock handling, and other topics relevant to the livestock industry. Having designed the livestock facilities for six different countries, at least thirty percent of the handling done in North America is done through one of Grandin’s designs. She developed a system which causes the animal to feel minimal anxiety while providing greater safety and efficiency for the plant. Grandin overcame double adversities of being female in a male-dominated industry and the challenges associated with being autistic. She has published on the subject of autism and speaks publicly to better inform others about the developmental disorder. Grandin is currently a professor of animal sciences at Colorado State University.”



20 comments :

Sherry Sikstrom said...

A wonderful woman , well deserving of the recognition.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Wonder how many projects of merit your wonderful little girl wil be a part of some day, after all , she is starting out with parents that undersatnd and support her needs , and a world conciousness that is so much more aware of the wonderful things she is capable of!

Anonymous said...

She's amazing, and has done an enormous amount for animal welfare and for the increased understanding of people on the autism spectrum.

Dan and Betty said...

She certainly deserves the honor and recognition. I agree that her books have been enlightening for a lot of different reasons.

Thanks for sharing this.

Dan

lytha said...

lisa, i'd never heard the phrase "on the autism spectrum" until now.

that is such a realistic way of describing it.

because of my degree in psych, i was always bothered by people labelling autism inaccurately. my brother has aspergers, is on meds, and is functioning in a job, helped by social security. he does not have autism - those people cannot adequately communicate. he is on the spectrum.

thank you for this. i sure wish i had netflix about right now: )

~l in g

clairz said...

Great post, Lisa. I'm glad you highlighted Dr. Grandin. She is such an inspirational figure in so many ways.

Gail said...

Glad they realized how important she is.

Louise said...

She's a remarkable woman. Listening to her lectures and reading her writings, you can't help but be inspired.

Dreaming said...

I have always been intrigued by folks who overcome huge obstacles and surpass all expectations. Her book, Animals Make Us Human has been on my reading list for a while - I wasn't aware of her other books.

I got mail today...at my new house :)
It had your return address on it -
Thanks. What a great surprise!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

That is awesome news! She's an incredible woman~!!

Deb said...

that's a great post I really enjoyed it....

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Fascinating. Enough time has passed that I forgot about The Horse Boy story, so I went out and watched the trailer from your link. It started coming back to me.

Sandy ~~~ said...

She is my hero!

jacksonsgrrl said...

Temple is awesome, sadly the man who wrote the Horse Boy Story is not so upstanding. I had contacted him on FB and he would chat live with me (getting very fresh) which I ignored and laughed at. Married man right? He talked about me coming up to Austin to ride with him, etc. When I finally met him, and did not play into his hands, (HELLO, YOU ARE MARRIED....!) he un-FB me the next day. I just wanted friends, to possibly learn lots more, (I worked with autistic adults in group homes) and at an Equitherapy center. Sadly, after that, his whole story is now in question for me. But I'm glad Temple is getting recognition, and I of course, wish Rupert Isaacson all the best in his endeavors. But dude, divorce the wife if you play that way!
I have seen firsthand how horses and autistic or Asperger's folks communicate with animals. On the other end of the spectrum is my friend's son who is also autistic and HATES all animals but his kitties! :)
Great post Lisa!

lisa said...

Great post Lisa, I will have to get her books and read them! Thanks for sharing her story.

jane augenstein said...

I first hear of Temple Grandin in 1998 when we first moved here to the farm and had cows. Read an article about livestock handling and catch pens for them. Very interesting and now have two of her books; an AMAZING woman. Have also seen her on the "Horse Show" with Rick Lamb.
great post!
hugs...
jane

baystatebrumby said...

I read Animals in Translation about 5 years ago and I remember so many parts of that book like I just read them yesterday. I am planning to watch her movie. I have heard from many people it is very worth watching. Temple Grandin is another great human on earth.

Desert Rose said...

The Movies is awesome...she deserves all the kudos she gets!!!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome about Temple, she's an amazing lady. I just finished The Horse Boy a couple of weeks ago and didn't know what to think of it. I do strongly believe in the connection of animals and children and the healing effects they can have so I don't doubt that part, I was a little leery about being beaten with leather straps and having vodka spat at you as to how that can fix something.
Oh well, not your original discussion, I know!

Maery Rose said...

Both Tenple Grandin and the Horse Boy are in my queue. Thanks for sharing your insight.