Today started off pretty good. Everyone was excited! It was Jen’s 8th birthday……and Jax’s first high school lacrosse game! I had wrapped Jen’s gifts last night and they were all set to go, we bought an ice cream cake…her favorite, and planned to have some pizza and her birthday party after we came home from the lacrosse game.
But that was not to be.
We all piled into the van, Ranchman John, our friend Robin from the United Kingdom, the twinlings, Jen, and me…and Dobbie, too.
After warming up Jax was ready to play and the team looked great!
Even Ranchman John, as the Assistant Coach got in some practice time with the goalie before the game began.
And then helped get the team ready to play.
Jax plays Defense and carries a long pole, and although he may not be very fast, he is very good with his stick skills.
I was very proud of him out there, even though I was also very worried. Some of the players on the other team were 16 and 17 yrs old and very big!
But he held his own and seemed to have a great time.
Jem, Robin, Jen and I found a wonderful location to watch the game from just off the sidelines, with a large bin to block the wind. It almost felt like a summer day. Robin really seemed to enjoy himself.
In the end Sandia Prep lost 8-5, but it was still an exciting game and all the players did a terrific job.
There was one injury and I was impressed with the amount of respect shown by both teams as they all knelt down quietly until the player was able to limp off the field with some assistance.
But as we were packing up, Jen looked up at me from her chair and said she felt very hot and her tummy hurt.
Uh oh! This isn’t good.
And it wasn’t.
By the time we reached the van, she was in obvious distress and began violently throwing up several times. My poor baby!
And on her birthday, no less!
Thankfully we were parked across the street from a Walmart and Ranchman John, Robin, Jax and Jem headed over to get some children’s Immodium (for the horrible diarrhea I know is coming) and Emetrol to help with her nausea.
Then they drove back to the mountains, dropped us off, because by that time I was feeling exhausted and nauseous and Jen and I both needed to rest at home. Afterwards, they drove back into Albuquerque to go out to dinner.
I felt so torn. Jax was so excited and proud of his first game, and I was, too, but I was also so worried about my daughter. I wish I could be in two places at once. And I hope Jax knows how proud I am of him and how much I really enjoyed seeing him shine and do his best……..
Right after we got home, Jen vomited again. I gave Jen a bath, shampooed her sticky hair, washed her soiled clothes and tucked her into bed. Made myself something to eat and drink, because by that time I was feeling dehydrated and had a headache.
Soon after she was in bed, Jen threw up again. Thankfully she had the bowl I gave her. I’m still so worried about her because, unlike me, who only threw up twice when this virus worked it’s evil spell on me, she’s thrown up 5 times already and she’s very thirsty and keeps trying to drink water and ginger ale. I’m so worried about dehydration. I may be taking her to the emergency room later tonight if she isn’t able to keep anything down.
Ranchman John just got back home and brought a package of Depends for tonight’s expected diarrhea, along with some Pedialyte. I’m a worried mess, because she’s never thrown up this much before. In fact she’s always been my healthy child, while my twinlings had everything from RSV to multiple ear infections, but Jen has rarely ever been sick her entire 8 years of life, besides a few minor colds.
I feel so bad for her. She got this nasty, evil bug from me and now she has to suffer, but she’s just my little baby girl. Not fair! And on on her 8th birthday, too!
She not only missed out on having her birthday party on Thursday with her best friends because her Mama was sick, but now she’s missing out on her birthday cake, presents and celebration with her family, too.
This just breaks my heart.
26 comments :
poor baby...hope she feels better really soon..and gets to have an extra special birthday celebration...it's hard being a Mommie and having to feel pulled between your kiddos...take care of yourself too girl...
She will be fine...and don't feel guilty, the celebration will be just as wonderful when it does come.
Sending healing thoughts and hugs your way.
Way to go, Jax!
Glad Ranchman is able to be home with you.
Sorry to hear that. The only good thing is in the future this will be one of the birthdays she really remembers. Kids always remember the bad times and take some kind of pride in going through them.
Dan
Poor baby! Sounds like she caught your bug. I had it around Christmas- threw up about 5 times during the night and had the runs. It was awful. I thought I had food poisoning but I found out several other people from the office had it too.
And I meant to say- HAPPY BIRTHDAY JENNA!!
Aw, poor Jen! I hope that she gets better quickly and that you don't need to take her to emergency.
Congratulations to Jax on a successful game.
I am so sorry to hear that Jen is so sick and on her birthday ta-boot! Sounds like the nasty virus is going to make the rounds in your family. =( Have ice-chips handy for Jen to put in her mouth to melt. Trying to drink to much and to fast will only make the the tummy issue worse. My kids would always gulp the gingerale or 7-up to fast and it would not be a pretty sight at all. I even made pedilyte (sp?) ice chips when it was really bad. My daughter was throwing up sick once for 24 hrs! It was the longest 24 hours of my life at the time!
Sending BIG ((((HUGS))) your way and Happy Birthday wishes to Jen!
Oh and your Jax knows you are proud of him. I think you have two remarkable, understanding and caring boys! Your photos of the game were great! I love that the teams showed great sportsmanship when the player was hurt!
((((HUGS)))
DesertHen!
Great advice. Yes! I finally decided to try that about an hour ago because I remembered reading that popcicles are helpful to keep sick kids hydrated and I remember sucking ice chips when I was in labor with my babies....because drinking too fast, too much made me vomit.
So far so good! She's sucked on about a cup and half of ice chips and I was even able to get some children's tylenol in her to control her fever and chills....everything's staying down for now. I'm cautious, but also so relieved!
Thanks so much! xoxo
~Lisa
Aww, I hope she's better soon! I'm sure her b-day celebration will be great no matter when you get to it!
I am so sorry Jen is sick too!! The poor thing! Sending lots of good healing thoughts for a speedy recovery her way!
Oh, poor Jen. I know once she's feeling a bit better you will have a memorable make-up birthday celebration. It may not feel like it to you, but it sounds like you've got it under control--prepared for anything!
Congrats to Jax on his game. As long as he enjoyed it, it was a success, right!?
Good that you thought of the popsicles to help her dehydration. I was gonna suggest that. Healing energy and prayers are being sent your way. I hope Jen feels better soon.
Oh. No, I didn't have any popcicles in the house. I had just remembered reading about how helpful they can be to help kids with dehydration. I figured that ice chips would be just as helpful and we do have an ice maker that creates crushed ice, so voila!
She feels very weak and tired and has a headache like I did. She only wants to lay in bed and has no energy, but at least she can suck on ice chips and the children's tylenol seems to have worked because she has no fever now. whew!
Thanks :)
~Lisa
So sorry you guys have been sick! My mom always said that family holidays were moveable feasts, so we celebrated whenever we could, although not necessarily on the day.
Bad timing. You know, every time I had a projectile case of the flu, it affected my eating habits afterward. I associated whatever I was eating at the time I got sick with getting sick, so I would never eat it again. I got sick on Halloween, so I had a hard time eating Halloween candy after that and gave most of it away. I got sick when eating at the Dairy Queen, so I can't eat there anymore, even though that was 18 years ago. I hope Jen doesn't acquire an aversion to ice cream cakes now. It sounds like she didn't even get a slice before she got sick, though. You know, you don't have to celebrate birthdays to the day or even the week. You can put it off to celebrate in more fortunate times.
No. She never had a chance to have a slive of her ice cream cake. It's in the freezer waiting for her when she feels better and we can celebrate her birthday together.
I don't have a problem with having her birthday at another date or time. But she's very dissapointed. Every day for almost two weeks she asked me "How many more day until I have my friend party? How many more day until my family party?" Every day she asked. It was like Christmas....the waiting and getting excited.
We don't move he Christmas holiday from Dec 25th to January 25th. It's just not the same...especially to an 8 year old little girl who was so filled with excitement for so long.
Sure we can change the date of her birthday celebration, but it's just not the same...and is rather anti-climatic.
~Lisa
Happy B-Day Jen hope you and mom get well soon. Jax rocks playing Lacrosse, I wish we had that when I was in High School, not to mention its the national sport of Canada.:-)
Poor baby. Kids always seem to get those types of viruses worse than adults. Hope it's a short one and that she gets to enjoy her belated birthday celebration.
Hope YOU are better, too!
Happy Birthday, and get well soon Jenna. This is a birthday you will always remember! The flu is nasty anytime, but a real bummer on your birthday.
ah, so sorry Jen is so sick, and you were earlier. It is no fun to be sick on holidays and birthdays. I'm sure she will enjoy her birthday party, hopefully today! I know what you mean about wanting to be with children and their celebrations at the same time as something else is happening. I hope Jen is well and didn't become too dehydrated.
Missed seeing you this week at SS.
Oh No! I'm sooooo sorry for Jen! I can only imagine her disappointment =(
Here's hoping she's feeling more like herself very soon.
LOVE the pictures of the game !!!!
Poor kiddo! I hope she is better soon!
At least she has her loving Momma taking care of her , it makes a big difference ,when we are ill to have someone helping out . Can she have an "un Birthday party" when she is well.Not the same I know , but something
Awwww poor baby! Tell her I hope she gets better soon. Oh, and happy birthday.
Poor little girl. My grandkids were all sick with this and are just now getting over it. It will pass and she will feel better. Such a shame it had to happen on her birthday. When she's better she'll enjoy her special celebration. We always feels so bad for them but there's nothing we can do but help them get through it. Feel better honey.
Oh, mom....don't worry...kids are flexible. Once she is feeling better she can do her birthday all over again. Two birthdays in one year...yeehaw!
LOVE the picture of the other team being respectful as the injured player left the field...very honorable. Good job on the game Jax! Way too go!
Happy Late birthday Jen...I am so sorry you missed your party because of the nasty bug!!! I had a very minor version of the same bug...only threw up 2x and felt better in a few days!!! Hope your make up party is fun!!!
Post a Comment