Thursday, March 3, 2011

Suffering……….

 

IMG_8524

……from the worst stomach virus in history (my own at least). Started Tuesday morning, (Oh yeah, and did I mention that Aunt Flow decided to come a’callin’ the day before? Fun.) felt horrible all over…achy muscles, joints, migraine, shivering, sweating, nauseous.

Then for the first time in over 13 years, I threw up violently for about 5 minutes, and then again about a half hour later. I had my gall bladder removed about 12 years ago so I didn’t think that was possible. Guess I was wrong.

Spent the rest of the day in bed alternating between feeling like someone had punched me all night to feeling like a 2 ton giant was sitting on me. Walking to the bathroom was exhausting. I knew it was bad when I had no interest in blogging or opening up my computer at all. Even lifting my fingers took too much energy.

I thought that was the worst of it…..but the worst was yet to come.

Beware: TMI ALERT……Graphic Mental Images ahead!!

 

Last night I finally took some Pepto and Nyquil around 11pm so I’d finally get some relief from the shivering, aches, pains, and stomach cramps. And I did. I apparently slept like a baby. And woke up with the same wet, nasty feeling that all babies do. Except I wasn’t wearing a diaper.

Yeah, that’s right. Horrible! Incredibly disgusting! And to add insult to injury this was at 3 am when I was still feeling the effects of the Nyquil and the exhaustion from this terrible virus.  I had to take a shower……at 3 am, just to get clean.

Thankfully, due to the “preparations” for Aunt Flow’s visit (nice irony, eh?) my bed wasn’t affected, so I didn’t have to deal with all of the additional work of linen washing and bed making, too. But I did still have to make numerous trips to the bathroom for the next 2 hours, even with the help of a few doses of Pepto.

Today I feel a little better, except I still have terrible headaches, muscle weakness and stomach cramps. My feet are still shuffling tracks across the dusty floor to the bathroom way too often, and I’m just plain tuckered out. Feels like I’ve been in a battle and I lost.

IMG_8520

And to make matters worse, yesterday afternoon a dear, old friend flew in for a visit from the United Kingdom. He is staying here with us until Monday.

And tomorrow, I’m supposed to meet some folks in Albuquerque to deliver Girl Scout Cookies, and I have an appointment afterwards.  

And my daughter’s 8th birthday is Saturday.

(I could be a Calgon commercial…remember those?)



Just keepin’ it real, folks.

 



27 comments :

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, that sounds awful - feel better soon!

Dan and Betty said...

Sorry to hear you have been feeling so poorly. Get well soon.

Dan

Jeni said...

The flu this year is one nasty nasty virus! I sure hope you feel better and can enjoy you friends. Happy Birthday to Jen too!

DesertHen said...

Oh dear Lisa! I'm so sorry you are so sick! I had something very similar last fall and it was awful! Please take care of yourself and rest, rest, rest! If I lived next door, I would bring you chicken soup and lemon pie cups! =) (((HUGS))) Feel better!!

Cheryl Ann said...

Lisa, I had a stomach virus for 24 hours this week. Achy, nausea...I went to school and "toughed" it out, but should have stayed home. Came home, went to sleep at 6:30 p.m., got 10 hours sleep, felt okay the next day. I drank LOTS of water and took acidololous (sp?) for my tummy. There is definitely SOMETHING going around!!! Best wishes! (((BIG HUG)))
~~Cheryl Ann~~

Farmer Jen said...

Sending you good thoughts and healing energy to use as you wish. I hope you feel better very soon.

Farmer Jen said...

I forgot to ask: where is that statue of the giant scissors and paper located? Really cool photo.

jane augenstein said...

Oh, Lisa!! You poor thing! I have had something trying to get me for over a week....I think it's gonna win. Sore throat, headache, swollen glands, stuffy nose, head full of snot...ugh!
Husband was sick and missed two days of work, he NEVER misses work! I'm afraid mine is going to get worse before it gets better. :-(
Get well soon!!!
jane

TxFarmhouse said...

Hey, Lisa, I'm back.... Just tuned in and am so sorry to hear you have the crud. I guess that is with a capital C! I better spend a few minutes and catch up on all your "goings-on".
Truly, I hope you're feeling better soon.
B

Alison said...

Aw, hon, I'm sorry to hear you're feeling so...erm, crappy. (Sorry...it just came out...oh, maybe I should stop while I'm ahead!!)

Anyway...love the rock, paper, scissors sculpture--how clever.

Don't overdo it, m'dear. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Tammy Vasa said...

Wow!~ You have it bad, girlfriend. Take care of yourself & welcome back to the living. :)

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

It sounds like you got hit with a very dangerous strain of the flu. If that spreads, I won't be surprised if we start hearing about it in the news. The virus everyone in our family has had was just a mild head cold. Nothing like that. Hopefully, your friend won't take it back to the U.K. and you feel strong enough to make it through the rest of the week.

Desert Rose said...

uh oh...we had that virus here a few weeks ago...but was only about a 48 hour kind of thing...the headache did hang around a few days after though. Feel better sonn...and maybe you better cancel some of those plans!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Jeez, hope you're feeling better soon!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Oh my!!! that sounds horrible. Hang in there hon! I hope yuo are right as rain soon. Rest as much as you can , I am sure everyone will understand! Hugs

cdncowgirl said...

I feel for ya girl... never had it quite that bad. Pretty much my worst was a couple months ago when I had the flu and puked so bad it came out my nose (til then I didn't know that could even happen) :S

Crystal said...

Wow that sounds awful!! Hope you get better soon.

Also love the rock paper scissors, very unique!

Leah Fry said...

YUK! Sure hope you are feeling better and get to spend some time with your visiting friend.

Anonymous said...

I sure hope today finds you feeling better. I too have the flu, and it's hung on for two weeks now!! Mine has been the upper respiratory, aches and pains, chills, etc. Doc said it was Type B, therefore the flu shot has no effect on this one!! I feel your pain. :)

Louise said...

Lisa, that sounds awful! Take good care of yourself and don't push too hard, even if you start feeling better. Remember that your body has taken quite a beating and will need time to recover.

And, go out and get some Immodium. It works much better than Pepto on stopping then nasties. It might be a good idea to get that fairly quickly, just in case other members of the family come down with this thing.

Sandy ~~~ said...

NO....NOT stomach virus...you mostly likely have gastroenteritis. Been there, done that. Makes food poisoning look like heartburn. I started vomiting and did it every half hour for over 6 hours and hubby took me to the ER. Was told by the nurse there and then the doc that if you vomit more than 6 times in a 12 hour period you need an ER. Serious problems and bad, bad dehydration.

Hope you are better soon, but maybe, just maybe you should see your doc today?

Anonymous said...

this is just terrible! make sure you keep rested & keep up your fluids, you don't want to get dehydrated
xo

Paint Girl said...

Oh Lisa, I am so sorry!! I hope you feel better real soon!! Being sick like that is horrible!!

Icelandic Vinka said...

Oh My... that is awful. I am a preschool teacher and the past two months have been like General Hospital! We have had kids walk in the front door and barf in the foyer BEFORE CHECKING IN! Turn right back around and leave. Fevers of 103 some times! It has been awful! Luckily (finding the nearest wooden object) I have missed all that!
I saw others remind you to hydrate. I know the last thing you want is anything going IN when so much is COMING OUT... but you have to. Even pedialyte is something that you can drink with sipping...
You dont want to end up in the hospital.
We miss the blogging that is for sure!
Get better soon!
Karen

Unknown said...

Hope you feel better soon! Drink lots and rest if you can. Hugs. Debi

Deb said...

trying to play catch up today visiting...so glad you are feeling better...we did our part to the girl scouts this year bought 10 boxes then passed them out to family and friends to keep them out of our house...LOL...your daughter is so cute...my best friend in elementary school was tall like that and I'm short so that photo brought back memories...

small farm girl said...

Oh goodness! I hope you start feeling better soon. If I was closer I would come over and take care of you. lol