Tuesday, June 7, 2011

200 Miles Away…Really?!!!

 

The latest report on the Wallow Fire in Eastern Arizona is:
"Area burning: 192,746 Acres, Percent Contained: 0%"

Every morning the day starts sunny and only slightly hazy, but by late afternoon, the thick smoke and fierce winds moves in. Tonight was the worst it’s been since it began last week. The smoke was so thick it burned if we breathed to fast and our eyes were watering when we went outside. The smell of smoke is very strong.

We don’t have an A/C and the Air Quality Agency advises against using Evaporative Coolers –aka- Swamp Coolers because they work by drawing in outside air that moves through wet fibrous pads, and then blows that moist, cool air into our houses.

This photo is SOOC (straight out of camera). I used my zoom for the blood red sun. It was taken about 7:30 pm. The sun hadn’t set yet and was still fairly high in the sky. But the smoke and ash were thick by this time.

IMG_2544

Swamp coolers only work if a couple windows are open a few inches for the air to flow. It works great for those of us who live in very low humidity states like Arizona and New Mexico, but they’re not the best when there are forest fires filling the air with smoke.

I wonder if the smoke is bothering all our animals. Poor critters.

IMG_2552

I still can’t get over the fact that this thick grey smoke is blowing over 200 miles from Eastern Arizona to reach our mountains. I have to remind myself sometimes that the fires aren’t burning here in our mountains. It’s got to be one of the worst and most far-reaching forest fires in the southwest’s history.

This is the view of the valley just east of us. That ridge is about a mile away from our house, as the crow flies. We usually have a sharp, clear view of that valley. We received this Air Quality Alert tonight:
"As winds diminish and the smoke settles overnight, visibilities under one
mile will be likely, even across the Albuquerque Metro area. As a
reminder, visibilities of three quarters of a mile or less are
associated with hazardous air quality. This means the air quality is
unsafe for all persons. Reduce exposure to the dangerous smoke
conditions."

IMG_2537

At 7pm tonight the sun was blood red in the western sky, but the smoke is too thick for any kind of pretty sunset.

IMG_2557

I’ve heard from a few photographers saying that smoke tends to enhance sunrises and sunsets. I’ve not seen it here so far. Besides New Mexico has some of the best sunsets in the U.S, without needing smoke from wild fires to enhance them.

The wind kicked up today just before the smoke got thick and it was fierce. At least 30-40 mph, even bending my neighbor’s flag pole.

IMG_2523

Then after the smoke blew in, the sky looked spooky and other-worldly from the smoke haze. We felt boxed into our valley because our usual long range vistas were gone. We couldn’t even see South Mountain from our balcony. The mountain is only about 10 miles away, as the crow flies.

The mountain should be seen right in the center of this photo.

IMG_2565

It’s just gone, engulfed by smoke that traveled here from over 200 miles away.

As I was preparing to pour some bathwater for my daughter tonight, I looked down into the tub and saw the water washing away a fairly thick layer of grey ash. Apparently it had blown in through the bathroom window. Are we breathing that? What a mess!

Everyone in this area of New Mexico will be very relieved when/if those forest fires in eastern Arizona stop burning.

I shot this video about 7pm tonight. The ending is rather funny…

And just so y’all know that I wasn’t devoured by our GSD Zuni and my Chiweenie, Dobbie:

  







8 comments :

Leah Fry said...

Although not close enough to be scary, that certainly falls in the category of disconcerting and unnerving. I'm surprised you aren't having more difficulty breathing.

That must be really weird to have your entire view of the landscape altered by something that far away.

lisa said...

I can't even imagine the smoke that you are getting and I feel so bad about all the acres that have burnt and the people that have lost their homes! I just hope it was not a delibarate fire that was set! I haven't heard yet what has caused the fires, have you. That Dobbie is so funny! He is a cute dog, the husband has been thinking about gettinga small dog but I am not ready for an ankle biter yet. We have two good size dogs now and that is plenty. You are right the smoke as really taken away from some of the sunset pictures but that first picture of the sun is pretty amazing still!

Gail said...

I think we all need to do a rain dance!

Stay safe, this is so sad, I have no words.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

You took some great photos! Isn't it amazing- the sunrises and sunsets? It's so awful though, the fire. I can't imagine being any closer. As it is, I'm looking around for flames.

Ed said...

If it gets any worst ya'll may nees some filter masks to keep the bad stuff out, be safe..:-)

Maery Rose said...

The fire is pretty scary. My sister has been holing up in Springerville but it sounds like she might have to evacuate from there also. I can't imagine what the smoke must be like where she's at if it's that bad 200 miles away. I hope the winds stop and the can finally contain it. The firefighters must be utterly exhausted.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Looks pretty yucky. It's a stark contrast from the usual fairytale blue of New Mexico skies.

Crystal said...

Wow that must be quite a fire to be that far away and that much smoke around. Hope they get it under control soon.