Thursday, June 16, 2011

Santa Rosa, New Mexico ~ Fun in the Sun

 

After eating breakfast at our campsite, we headed the 7 miles into Santa Rosa to Park Lake, “The Largest Swimming Pool in the Southwest”, located just off Rt 66 in downtown Santa Rosa.

Santa Rosa, population of less than 3,000 residents is known as New Mexico’s “City of Lakes”, due to it’s plethora of natural lakes, an anomaly in the dry desert climate surrounding it. Most of these lakes are sinkholes that form in the limestone bedrock of the area that fill with spring water, and are connected by a network of underground, water-filled tunnels.

One of those natural lakes is Park Lake, which is continually filled by a spring that bubbles up from the floor of the lake, with the overflow draining into the adjacent creek. Tree-lined Park Lake was transformed into a huge community swimming pool with a sandy beach, diving board, pier, water slide and peddle boats. It’s ironic that Park Lake is less than a mile from I-40 yet not many interstate travelers are aware of this beautiful, unique oasis, in eastern New Mexico, on the barren, high plains desert surrounding Santa Rosa.

We met up with Jax and Jem’s Boy Scout Troop as soon as we arrived. They had brought canoes and kayaks. 

IMG_2739

 

For only $2.00 a person, you receive unlimited use of the water slide and pedal boats. Swimming and picnicking at the lake are free. 

IMG_2730

 

Jax and Jem spent the first hour canoeing…….. 

IMG_2715

 

IMG_2718

 

And Kayaking .

IMG_2721

 

While Jen was happier than a clam just floating on her raft.

IMG_2724

 

The water was a very comfortable temperature and safely shallow at the edges of the lake, getting deeper towards the middle. There were lifeguards watching out for the kids and even though a lot more people showed up in the afternoon, it never really felt crowded.

IMG_2742

 

Jem enjoyed jumping off the diving board.

IMG_2733

 

I think Jax enjoyed the diving board even more. 

IMG_2752

 

During our lunch of grilled hamburgers and hot dogs, some friendly ducks showed up begging for scraps.

IMG_2731

 

 

Jax and Jen had fun feeding the ducks while protecting them from some mean kids who tried to throw rocks at their feathered friends.

IMG_2732

 

Dobbie girl and I spent most of the day watching the kidlets, while relaxing in the shade beneath the cottonwood trees.

IMG_2744

 

 

But we also had a few boat rides, too.

IMG_2786

 

This was Dobbie’s first time ever to ride in a boat. She really seemed to enjoy herself and was very relaxed.

IMG_2754

 

 

Jem was our Pedal Boat Captain.

IMG_2770

 

 

While Jen and I rode in the back of the pedal boat with Dobbie. We had a great time and went back out again a second time.

IMG_2768 

 

While we were walking around the lake later in the day, a group of people smiled at Dobbie and called her the “Water Puppy”, because she had been the only dog to go for a boat ride that day. I thought that name was cute. 

Dobbie girl enjoyed all the interesting sights around and in the lake. She didn’t seem to know what to think about the ducks, but she never barked or acted aggressive towards them. At home, she gives our chickens a wide berth. Maybe she thought the ducks were water chickens?

IMG_2793

 

 

                                                   Quack! Quack!

IMG_2792

 

 

Next up: Blue Hole Plunge






10 comments :

lisa said...

Now that looks like a ton of fun! I love paddle boats! We like to rent one when we go up to the Lake on vacation!

Alison said...

Water pup checking out the water chickens! I don't think I'll ever get my pup on a boat; a floating dock and an elevator are the only two things she's EVER been afraid of. Somehow moving "ground" just doesn't do it for her. :) So I'm a bit jealous of you and your water pup!

(BTW, thanks for your compliment on my flower pics. It means a lot, coming from you!)

Dan and Betty said...

Great pictures. It looks like a fun place.

Dan

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Looks like a fun place to go swimming. Glad you all had a great time. Did you place a letterbox?

Ed said...

Great day, neat hat..:-))

Ed said...

Great day, neat hat..:-))

clairz said...

I'm one of those I-40 travelers who never stopped to see the wonders of Santa Rosa. I'm so glad you have taken us all along to see what we've been missing.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Fun pictures. I really love that one with the boys in the canoe and the huge tree trunks in the background.

DesertHen said...

Now that looked like an enjoyable day for sure! Great photos! Those ducks are just too cute.

Gail said...

What a fantastic day!!!

Good to see you having some fun, too. Sometimes the picture taker gets left out.

Dobbie is wearing the same collar as Ki-Anne!