After we slipped and stumbled down the rocks and boulders covering the steep, challenging trail down the south side of the mountain, we moseyed into a wide open section where we lost sight of the orange ribbons, or maybe it was because we were too focused on the beautiful western views of the Sandia and Manzano Mountains in the distance?
The map below shows our route after leaving Obstacle #5 behind. We headed south and eventually turned in a western direction, down into a wash between two mountains, heading towards Obstacle #6, The Rope Gate.
Those other two ladies, the older, more experienced trail rider and her arena-bound friend, out on her first real trail ride, had sort of joined with us, after they had left their own original group early on, just like Roni and I, right around the Vine Obstacle. I guess you could say we were all renegades or outlaws, blazing the trail out on our own.
This open area was rather creepy. There were spent bullet casings all over the ground along with different shaped metal and wood targets leaning against trees. There was also a partially decomposed cow carcass over on the right side of the trail (you can see it below).
Before we reached the base of the mountains and the weird beam-topped gate of the Open Space area, we did have to negotiate our way down one more very steep, boulder and rock covered gully. This time I was able to give Apache her head because the trail wasn’t as narrow and lined with trees, but it was still a little hairy. Apache took very good care of us, though, and we finally made it to the bottom of the mountain and slipped through the Open Space gate and were soon at Obstacle #6, where our original group was just finishing their turn on the obstacle.
The judge had told us that she changed the rules of this obstacle from removing the rope and replacing it back on the post, to just removing the rope and walking through while dropping the rope. Sounded easier, but she also reduced the time from 60 seconds, down to 30 seconds.
Apache and I timed out right away because she really wanted us to come into the gate from her left side, but the obstacle was set up so the horse could only walk up to the gate from their right.
In her defense, this is one obstacle Apache and I have never practiced, so she just didn’t know what I wanted her to do and I’m sure I wasn’t communicating it well to her either.
Also, we were just several hundred yards from the horse camp and SASS arena at this obstacle and she was greatly distracted by the horses there that were calling out. She is not one to neigh while under saddle, even when we are left behind by other horses and riders. She tends to be pretty independent. But for some reason, perhaps because she was tired and thirsty by this time, she was calling out to the horses in the camp quite a bit and I had to redirect her attention back to me over and over by moving her feet and talking to her.
Roni and Halley Cat, on the other hand rocked this obstacle like nobody’s business.
To say that Apache made me work hard for this next section of trail between Obstacle #6 and Obstacle #7 is a huge understatement. I knew she was tired because I was tired, and I had to keep nagging her to keep the pace. And because we were circling around the horse camp (see photo below), she was very focused on it and was very heavy leaning on her left side. Which meant I had to be heavy on my right side and left leg to keep her centered on the trail and moving forward.
Thankfully by the time we left Obstacle #6 she had stopped calling to the horses in the horse camp, but she still looked longingly in that direction.
See those mountains over there to the east? Up there is where we had just ridden approx 4 miles of the day’s trails.
As you can see from the map below, the trail circled around the horse camp to the west from Obstacle #6 until we rode down into a ditch and came back up into the Downtown area of Founders Ranch at Obstacle #7. In hindsight I wonder if Apache might have been less heavy and more soft and focused if there had been some water available to the horse somewhere between Obstacle #5 and 6. She was so thirsty that when we finally got into the Downtown, she cozyed up to a big metal trash can with a flapping black trash bag inside, searching for something to drink, I’m sure. She also had no interest in walking anymore . We were both thirsty, tired and sore.
I think many of the riders were surprised at the location of the next obstacle. Obstacle #7 was a trot past the bad guys (called Bad Guy Weave…which really cracks me up. Sounds like the bad guys got a bad hair weave. lol!) and then trot-around-the-cones.
But they had the trot course set up on the gravel road, which I thought was terribly unfair for the hot, tired, thirsty, sore horses after carrying their riders around for over 7 miles all day.
As you can see, just beside the course is a fairly rock-free strip that would have worked much better and been easier on the horses' feet, especially for many of the horses who are barefoot.
My instructor/trainer, Jessica G. happened to be that obstacle’s judge, and I know she tends to be more critical and conservative because she is very talented and experienced on the ways that horses and riders should cover the trot while remaining in gait. But I’ve looked over everyone’s scores that day and not one person scored over an 8, and most riders and their horses scored below a 5. I wonder if that gravel road had anything to do with it.
Here’s Roni and Halley Cat taking their turn. I thought they did well, but didn’t score above a 6.
As you can imagine I chose to pass on that last obstacle because Apache and I weren’t up for it. I know I could not have gotten her up into a trot if my life depended on it. As it was, it took all of my strength and energy just to get her to continue walking back to the horse camp and SASS arena.
But we did it….slow and (just a little bit) steady, we finished the race.
Waved good bye to one of the Founder’s Ranch cattle. “My! What big horns you have!”
When we got back to the horse trailer, I dismounted, tied Apache to the trailer, removed her tack while she munched hay, and drank the rest of the water in her bucket. She even tried to drink from Halley Cat’s water bucket while I was refilling hers.
In the end, we remembered what we had accomplished that day. We had started the trail at 9:45am, rode 7+ miles over pastures and rolling hills, into the sandy washes and canyons, and up and over the mountains, attempting 7 challenging obstacles along the way. Apache had carried me safely, confidently, sure-footedly, and willingly (mostly) in large groups of horses and all by ourselves.
No we weren’t fast. In fact we were incredibly slow. But something to consider:
We started off in the 4th group of 10 riders that day. There were 4 more groups of 10 riders who started after us. In the entire day, none of those riders, except two (and they were those two ladies who ended up joining us about halfway through the ride), ever passed us.
And we still completed the ride by 2pm, while the last of those 4 groups behind us, didn’t make it back to the Horse Camp until after 4:30pm.
Something also to consider, we always arrived at an obstacle much later than our assigned group. But not once did we arrive at an obstacle, and not meet up with our assigned group, who had been waiting in line to take their turn at the obstacle, often for quite a while. While, we, of course, never had to wait more than a few minutes to take our turn.
So, if you look at the bigger picture, I think we did pretty darn good. And I am very proud of my sweet, beautiful, big hearted mare.
But, Boy Howdy! When we were through with our ride, we were both extremely hot, tired, thirsty and sore.
My mare and I, we were both grateful it was the End of Trail.
23 comments :
for your first ride back at it after a year off, the injuries and illness you both suffered , I would say you rocked it !Congrats
Good job girls!!! You made it!!
I want to do one now. I really really do. I'm going to go find one now, lol
That's awesome that you two had such a great time! I hope neither of you were too sore the next day! Seems like they should have had water stops for the horses along the way, especially knowing how hot it is there.
You should be proud of both of you - that's a big achievement! It was fun to ride along with you . . . except I keep imaging what Dawn would have done if she'd seen that stuffed white gorilla!
WOO HOOO Way to go Apache and Lisa! What an incredible accomplishment. Give that sweet mare of yours an extra pat and hug from me.
... so what's next? =)
That is so awesome!! I am proud of you too. I would love to do a ride like that. It looks like so much fun!
Sounds like Apache did really well and I am happy for the both of you!!
I think you two did AWESOME!! Thank you so much for blogging about it! I really enjoyed it.
I really like that terrain. The trails where I ride are so narrow and if a horse decides something scary is behind a tree or rock, it takes a lot of urging to get her forward. I'm sure my horses would appreciate being able to see all around them. Well, you made it! Maybe the trick is to stay on Apache's back where she can't kick you. She sure seems like a great trail horse.
Oh Lisa it is so great to see you riding your Apache girl again!!!
And I am so jealous that you are getting out riding!!!!
Love your posts, I so want to do this one day!!!
Wow! That sounds like so much fun! You and Apache are great! And as usual, the pictures were so pretty they look fake!
Hello, I just recently found your blog. I was honestly wondering if it is possible to take water with you? Obviously an amount that wouldn't quench thirst but just wet the whistle so to speak.
Pattie
Awesome; you both did so well to get through this day. I feel for Apache, and can't believe they didn't have any water available for the horses on that course. Seems a bit inhumane, if you ask me.
So, is Apache still talking to you? And is either of you sore? Phew, that was a big undertaking after a year off! I hope it helped you feel that much more comfortable on Apache's back.
Wow!! You are such an inspiration! You are very lucky to have a mount like Apache. And I agree the pictures are incredible! Congratulations!
Great accomplishment, Lisa! Congrats to both of you.
In answer to PF: yes, you absolutely can take water with you on the trail. I carry water bottles for myself, and also a bottle of water to dump onto my horse's neck as we ride--remember, any liquid she doesn't have to sweat out to stay cool is liquid that can stay inside her to keep her hydrated. In a hot, dry environment, I don't leave the trailer without a couple of bottles, even for a short ride...and by my count, Lisa and Apache were out for quite a while.
Also: lytha (horsecrazyamerican blog) taught her mare princess to drink out of snapple bottles (I think she started out with starbucks--it's a seattle thing), and the transition from that to a waterbottle is probably pretty easy. I haven't done it, but maybe someday I will.
Yes, we were riding for about 4 hours on Saturday and I always pack water for any trail ride I go on. I know how thirsty I get and how I can easily get dehydrated, especially in our hot, dry climate.
I had brought three 24 oz bottles of Gatorade that I packed in my horn bag and in my cantle bag.
Apache hasn't figured out how to drink from a bottle yet, but she will drink water and watermelon juice from my hand.
I bet she would drink Gatorade, so I think the next ride we go on, I'm going to take an extra bottle of Gatorade just for her. Now if only they had apple flavor! :)
~Lisa
Hooray! You set a goal to complete this ride and you accomplished it! WOOOO HOOOOO!! So happy and proud for both of you! =)
What awesome riding :)
Very, very good! You had a good ride, took care of your mare and yourself. What more can you ask for! And to have not been on a horse for a year; that was really an accomplishment.
The trails were just beautiful. Thank you for the pictures. I would love to ride in a place like that sometime. The building facades provided a neat backdrop for the horse camp. Pretty cool place all around.
Yeehaw way to go Lisa and Apache! You have come a long way - you must be so proud of her, of both of you!
- The Equestrian Vagabond
Fantastic! Sounds like Apache does know how to pace herself, and I'm thrilled you got through that moment when she was calling out. I find those moments to be pretty disturbing!
Congratulations!
BRAVO! Way to go Lisa and Apache! I have read through your entire account of your trail ride and am so impressed with you both. Great job, there is nothing better than the bond between a woman and her horse :)
What a great course! Looks like you had a fun day. Congrats to you and Apache. I was hoping to do my first ACTHA ride this summer, but alas, we've been sidelined with the tooth ordeal. Maybe next year.
Wonderful story of your ride - you most certainly should be very proud of yourself and Apache - you did GREAT!! You weren't out to win - just to do it and you more than accomplished that goal. AWESOME!
Post a Comment