I figured I’d do a once weekly update on our summer chicks, lest anyone get bored to tears from seeing too many biddie pics.
The chicks are now two weeks old.
They have really grown, probably even doubled in size, since we brought them home from the Post Office. Many of them have completely feathered out their wings and are even sprouting some tail feathers.
We have to be careful when removing the mesh cover on their brooder because some will try to fly right up and out. We’ve already had a few escape artists on the garage floor.
I placed a dowel inside the brooder and showed a few chicks how to use it and they picked up quickly how to roost.
The Chicken Girl still loves to cuddle the chicks as often as possible. She’s already claimed a few favorites. Like this Blue Wyandotte chick, which she’s named Penguin because it reminds her of a penguin.
And this Silver-Laced Cochin, I named Disco because of it’s bell-bottom disco legs.
Some of the chicks, especially the Easter Egger chicks are always eager to be held and will chase after our our hands as we’re refilling the feeder or waterer. And as soon as they’re in our hands, they fall right to sleep.
The little chick with the broken toe is doing very well and if it weren’t for the fact that she’s smaller than all the other chicks and is a late bloomer in the feathering-out department, we’d never know she has a disability.
She’s another chick that enjoys being held and will hop right into your hand as soon as you place it into the brooder.
So, the chicks are doing great and we’re enjoying them, but it’s amazing how fast they’re growing…and how much they eat, too! They’ll outgrow their brooder very quickly at the rate their growing, but I prefer to wait until the chicks are completely feathered out before moving them outside into the coop.
So there ya go, a Summer Chick Update. Until next week……
14 comments :
I never tire of the chick and fowl updates, love the names Disco and Penguin, how about Tootsie for the lil' chick with the toe???? :-)
Awwww...they are all so cute! I had 3 brown chickens here at our house (sssshhhhhhh!) when the kids were small. I got them from my cousin's wife's parents' ranch down in Thermal. Also got 3 geese. The chickens stayed. The geese went BACK to the ranch!!!! Also had 3 ducks and I even built a little pond for them in the back. That was many, many years ago...
How cute! I'm glad the little chick with the broken toe is doing so well.
Cute!
They are growing quickly...be crowing before you know it. Unless they are all hens.
They are so cute! How cool that some have bonded with you and like to be picked up.
They are cute. Thanks for the update and pictures.
Dan
we got two chicks as little kids. I remember how much they loved us and thought we were their mama. Then my mom figured out they were roosters and made us dispose of them:( I don't know why, we had 10 acres, not like they could bother the neighbors!
I enjoy your chicken posts, I like living vicariously through your chicken ownership:)
They are adorable!
I really never knew there was so much to know about chicken's. I love the lessons! Cute little buggers too!
I am glad you are doing weekly updates. I love chicks and it is amazing to see then grow so darn quickly!
They are adorable! Don't you just love how each really developes its own personality. So glad to see the little chick with the toe problem is doing so well. =)
And yes, we will adopt you! =) You can come join us for dinner anytime you like!!
you have the prettiest/cutest chickens! Broken Toe is going to be a beauty, I can tell by her eyes.
- The Equestrian Vagabond
You have the most interesting variety of chickens I've ever seen!
Post a Comment